Mile Time

Options
13»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    For me, the gait changes enough at ~10-11min/mile that I will have knee pain - I cannot jog. When I couldn't run continuously, I would run/walk in intervals rather than jog. If I get tired/out of breath and see my pace slowing to slower than a 10 minute mile, I will take a walking break.

I'm very much in the space of walking vs running being binary. Jogging is not a thing.

Many people seem to struggle to maintain an adequately high cadence at slower speeds. Slowing the cadence leads to greater vertical oscillation, a longer pace, that leads to increased biomechanical loads.

So for me the transition point to walking is when my cadence drops below about 160 steps per minute.

Heel vs mid vs forefoot strike isn't a big deal. Everyone has the best footstrike for them, so it's not an indicator of injury risk, in isolation.

Again, for the originator, aiming for a single mile at a nine minute pace little of that is all that important.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    I'm not sure what exactly bothers my knee - maybe just the increased vertical oscillation (which is hard to avoid at such a slow pace). Stride length decreases, cadence decreases, longer ground contact time - but these are of course also true of walking. I just know I always wind up with knee pain whenever I try to jog.

In the spirit of a joke: Is that how you determine whether you're jogging or running slowly, then? Whether you knee hurts?

I agree with @MeanderingMammal that this is all off the topic of striving for a single mile at a 9 minute pace.

I also think that jogging and running aren't well defined. A jogger probably isn't training for a distance greater than 5 miles, (that seems to be the upper limit [to me] of what someone might say they're going out for a jog) but a runner might jog, (or you might call it a long, slow run) for distances much greater than 5 miles.

I also understand the argument that jogging, running and sprinting are all "running." If you're speaking in that context, I understand that you're referring to exertion.

I reject the notion, however, that jogging defines a sloppy, slow run. That's not an idea that I've ever run across anywhere else, and even when looking, I can't find any support for it. Sorry.

Back on topic: I found that more slow miles definitely helped develop speed for an intense single mile. But I don't claim it's the "best" or "only" way. And one single fast mile was never my primary goal.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Joggers are the ones that find dead bodies in the woods.

Hence, don't jog :)
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Joggers are the ones that find dead bodies in the woods.

Hence, don't jog :)

No fear here. I don't do much of my running outside. It's INCREDIBLY unlikelly that I'll find a dead body on my treadmill. So, I'm not a jogger... ;)