How to exercise with bunions

Options
Ugh, I can't believe I have one of these but I do. I have been walking with the weight of my body on the outer edge of my foot but I can't do that forever. How do you all work out with a bunion?

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been to a podiatrist? They can make orthotics for you to wear that will take some of the pressure off of the bunion. Sometimes over the counter orthotics can work too if it's not bad. There's really not much you can do once you have one except treat the symptoms or have surgery.
  • emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I just went and bought a bunch of over the counter stuff. I guess I will see how it works.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Seated cardio ..........this one is by Jessica Smith: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xC9khisFPA

A recumbant bike would take some pressure off.

Swimming is excellent if you have access to a pool
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Recumbent bike, upright bike or elliptical if you can tolerate it, strength training. Yoga helps mine, because you are encouraged to spread your toes. I also do foot rehab exercises, which help immeasurably. I can do regular weight bearing exercise because of yoga and foot exercises.

Taking NSAIDS like ibuprofen or Alleve, will help too. You just don't want to have to take them for a long time.
  • sansbuda
    sansbuda Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was just going to ask the same question. I only have it on one foot. Regular exercise hasn't been a problem but now I'm attempting the C25K. Some days it doesn't bother me and other days I'm like you...jogging on the side of my foot. I was wondering if there are shoes that are recommended for this problem. I hope there's someone with answers out there.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I can't run at all. That's the quickest way to make my feet flare up. Bunions are a huge cause of older women ceasing to be active, so take care of those feet. I don't know much about the surgery, but I know that you can have bunions for a long time, ice them when they hurt, take an Aleve, get off your feet, and strengthen your feet with exercises, and NOT be debilitated. You have to slow down when there is pain.
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Try to get your shoes 1/2 size bigger...I used to have painful bunions and this really helped. They have actually reduced some, also I barely ever wear heels. I also wear flips flop around the house and try not to keep my feet enclosed for too long if need be. By doing this my bunions practically went away and I no longer have pain or discomfort. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I can't run at all. That's the quickest way to make my feet flare up. Bunions are a huge cause of older women ceasing to be active, so take care of those feet. I don't know much about the surgery, but I know that you can have bunions for a long time, ice them when they hurt, take an Aleve, get off your feet, and strengthen your feet with exercises, and NOT be debilitated. You have to slow down when there is pain.

Re: strengthening your feet ...... these exercises look pretty good

by Kathy Smith: http://www.kathysmith.com/home-recent-posts/the-simple-steps-to-protect-your-feet-for-life
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    For me, getting running shoes with a large toe box has worked very well. I avoided running for years because of the bunions, then I got the shoes and started running in February of this year. The bunions have not been a problem at all (except for their unsightliness). Get someone at a good shoe store to help you with the fitting.

I did see a podiatrist, had orthotics made, and wore them for a bit, but I never quite took to them.

Good luck!
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Yoga and swimming would be best I would assume. I have a bunion on my right foot, and it's really annoying to walk for long distance or run.

Anyone wears any corrective splint?