My issue - I really like food! How to get into the zone?

Options
I go on holiday in a month and thought that's sufficient time to cut down and tone up.

Today, have a horrid cold, and saw the loaf f seeded bread and chocolate 150grams!- and now it's all gone, because I really wanted it! I don' feel full easily, and if you gave me three more chocolate bars, unless I'm mindful I would just eat them.

I know in the longterm I will be unhappy but on the short term it feels so good!

I am taking responsibility, but want to know how to get excited about eating well. If I'm not careful foods just dominates my mind, it's my greatest enjoyment sadly!

Help!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What are your current stats?
  • surreychic
    surreychic Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    5ft 5, 10 stone....body fat 29%
  • schwest76
    schwest76 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Focus on how you want to look and what it takes to get there and it'll come. For me, I was not excited about eating healthy when I started but I was determined for lose weight. Once I started noticing how I felt after eating healthy then I got excited. Give yourself some non-food rewards for reaching your goals and see if that helps. Also, try and keep the unhealthy stuff out of the house as best as you can. Best of luck to you!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    How to get excited about eating well?

Eat well. Then don't eat for a few hours. Then eat well again. That ought to help with the excitement.
  • RemoteOutpost
    RemoteOutpost Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You will be surprised how good food tastes when your stomach is churning with hunger, healthy or not.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Most of us like food. We are designed to be able to eat a lot in times of plenty. Food is also good, and to be enjoyed. We need to pay attention to get in a good mix of foods, in appropriate amounts, every day. And that's the crux. To really enjoy food, we have to be mindful.

One method to learn mindful eating, is logging. This gives you a pause, time to think. Is this something I really need, or am I eating just because it's there? Is it something I want, or am I eating because I'm sad, or bored? Is it I who want this, or is it my mother/collegue/friend who wants to see me eat it?

That's all I have. I just wanted to say there's nothing wrong with you.

I would agree with about mindful eating. Sometimes if I stop and think about it, I realize that I'm not really hungry, I just feel a compulsion to eat because the food is available. Logging is also a great way for me to hold myself accountable. I'm far from perfect when it comes to moderating..especially lately..but knowledge is power. When you have to log all of that stuff and see all of the calories, sometimes that helps me to make better choices the next day.
    Every day is a fresh start..don't let little bumps in the road sidetrack you.
    The other thing I would say is, treat it like a learning opportunity and an adventure. So many new dieters come in with the attitude "I'm going to cut out x, y, and z because they are "bad" foods, high carbs, etc ..". Not surprisingly, they find this approach unsustainable. Rather than cutting out things, make a point to try new things. Increase the variety of foods you eat. It's exciting to seek out new things and learn about them. Find a new way of cooking things. Eat something you've never eaten before. Have fun with it..if you don't make it a chore, then it won't be one.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I love food too. Still lost the weight. There's no miracle here - you have to want to lose the weight more than you want the food that would put you over in calories. Eating tasty things within your calories really helps though!
  • alienws1998
    alienws1998 Posts: 88 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I feel ya OP, before my diet started in July I was the same way. I live in Colorado and have replaced ambien with a "more natural option". So in the evenings after I medicate I used to have horrible munchies, I'd bake and eat an entire roll of cinnamon rolls, or a complete case of donuts stuff like that. And it sucked at first, I was moody and irritable for the first 6 weeks or so, after that the worst of the cravings went away and my body began wanting better options, now after I medicate my body wants cheese sticks, sliced lunch meats, peanut butter things like that. It just takes times to get past that hurdle. One other thing I wanna add is listen to your body!! Sometimes we can misinterpret the signals our body is sending, mistaking thirst for hunger or eating out of boredom, while some cravings can be your bodies way of telling you its lacking in a particular mineral and you may need to eat a SMALL amount of whatever it is to satisfy your nutritional needs. Just remember there's a difference between a 1/3 cup of ice cream and eating the whole gallon
  • trudie_b
    trudie_b Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I think the accountability of logging is very helpful. At first I found it stressful, I even stopped for a while because I felt it was making me obsessive. But I've got used to it now, and as a fellow foodie (aka glutton!), it does keep my eating in check. I'm scrupulous about logging everything, and I do my best not to go over my days allowance. It provides me with a good framework, where I can enjoy my food without derailing my goals.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I love food! But weirdly enough, when I've been on a diet I actually seem to enjoy it more than when I'm not. I think it has to do with really thinking about what I put in my mouth and consider it before I do it. So I'm not being mindless about it.

Plus, truthfully healthy food *is* good food. Really!

A surprising (for me) family favorite dinner now is: salmon fillet pan-fried with olive oil and fresh-ground lemon pepper and Fresh Express Apples & Cheddar salad. The whole dang meal takes about 15 minutes to prepare! And depending on if I add a side or whatever, there's plenty of room calorie-wise for some sort of dessert.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to find your "why" - Something that will keep you motivated and on track - that makes it worth it to make changes to your "food lifestyle". Without a clear cut reason to make wanted changes, it's easy to fall off track.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Most who are overweight love to eat. Thats how we become fat. You are not alone and its not a unique and unheard of issue. We each need to choose which is more important, satisfaction in the moment or long term happiness. Gotta find the right balance that works for you.
  • AnastasiaGrs1
    AnastasiaGrs1 Posts: 34 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I had the same problem ... I started going to the gym and lifting weights....and some cardio ... The most important thing is balance! ;)