Coffee Alternatives (replacement)

Options
Hello everyone!

One of my goals is to get off the coffee loop and cut down my caffeine intake every day. I have a problem getting enough sleep and have high anxiety so adding coffee to the mix does not help!

I'm looking for alternatives for something warm and coffee-like. I mostly want to know what people actually try and actually keep drinking. Also did anyone here use this alternative to get off of coffee? I would love to hear stories. :)

Currently I'm trying out Dandy Blend - http://www.dandyblend.com/

It's not exactly the same as coffee but it is smooth and dark and replaces that second or third cup of coffee I can hardly taste (that ends up being mostly milk anyways). So it seems like it would be a good alternative for the coffee drinker that has a regular cup all day long. I haven't tried using it at work (I have been snowed in for a week!) but here at home I try a cup in the afternoon. I'm feeling better - it's like I had the cup of coffee but without the hangover that comes with it.

So what have you tried? Any tips to share?

Replies

• sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    you could just switch to decaf or half/half
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Decaf
  • mksafire
    mksafire Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    that is true...... really don't know why I didn't think of that.
  • chrismellor01
    chrismellor01 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Maybe ask why you are drinking it in the first place?

If it's ritual - then replace with redbush or decaf etc.

If it's for the caffeine then cut it down, half amount a week etc.

If you are wanting a taste in your mouth...

Maybe experiment with other things (a few thin slices of lemon and some fresh ginger is very nice).
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,126 Member
    Options
    Other than the suggestion of going to Decaf, I have little to suggest. I like teas as well, but they are not coffee for the taste, which it what I like. If you drink it because you like the taste, go to decaf. It still has a small amount of caffeine, but far far less that normal caffeine coffee.
  • l_lake
    l_lake Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this would be available to you, but if you have access to a tea store like David's Tea or Teavana, there are quite a few teas that have a stronger/richer taste like coffee. Something with a Puerh tea base? Otherwise, yeah, decaf coffee.
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea...obviously doesn't taste like coffee but still has a bit of caffeine in it (enough for me) and 0 calories. Its warm and it wakes me up in the morning
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd go with decaf. The taste of coffee is like a little taste of heaven and I could never give it up. I have some caffeinated coffee in the morning and often drink decaf if I want something warm and comforting in the afternoon or evening.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    You could try out some herbal teas.
  • shelleyrhoads
    shelleyrhoads Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Ummmmm tea
  • mksafire
    mksafire Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas everyone!

I am going to focus on just trying stuff out and having fun with it. The variety is already helping me cut back on coffee. It helps to just be more mindful of it and I find that I don't need the caffeine as much as a warm drink. So I am trying out a new tea or alternative every day. That makes it fun and no pressure. Also switching to decaf sounds like a good idea. :)
  • mctiff24
    mctiff24 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    check out teeccino
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am a coffee addict and snob. When I was pregnant I stopped drinking coffee but not instantly or I had caffeine withdrawals. I started with 3/4 regular and 1/4 decaf and slowly increased the decaf til I was completely weaned off, but still got my coffee "kick" for the day as for me it is a ritual in the mornings... also tames the bear....
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I have decaf on hand and also enjoy hot tea (herbal if it's due to caffeine, green if I just want tea but it does have less caffeine than coffee).
  • CarolinaZP
    CarolinaZP Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hot chocolate with unsweetened cocoa and little sugar is the closest I got. I do the recipe from the Hershey's cocoa container, which is kinda sweet, but if you like your coffee bitter, you could reduce the sugar on a hot cocoa.

For calorie free option, herbal tea with no caffeine.
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 503 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I love Cafix Crystals, which is 100% caffeine free. Its works like instant coffee. I usually heat 1 cup water and 1/2 cup milk in microwave and add 1 teaspoon Cafix, 1 teaspoon baking (unsweetened) cocoa powder and 1 Truvia packet- that is my dessert at night. I bought at Whole Foods in the coffee aisle. It has 5 calories for 1 teaspoon. And my picky husband even enjoys on a cold snowy night .
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Redbush tea? Even ordinary tea has less caffeine