Coconut oil - good or bad for you?

Options
13»

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    IMO all oils should be used as sparingly as possible if at all. I saute veggies with water or broth. Works just as well, and cuts 100s of calories out of your diet.

Nothing wrong with fats - yes, oils should be measured, logged, and consumed moderately, but you don't have to switch to water/broth for sautéing vegetables, for Pete's sake.

Fat is an essential nutrient and healthy ones like the one's found in olive oil are good for you, as long as they don't put you in a calorie surplus.
  • release_the_kraken
    release_the_kraken Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil coffee is my new love in the morning..delish..
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Inherently neither...it's a fat...I treat it the same as I would any other fat. I use it...I also use olive oil and avocado oil and butter...it just depends on what I'm making.
  • shelleyrhoads
    shelleyrhoads Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    IMO all oils should be used as sparingly as possible if at all. I saute veggies with water or broth. Works just as well, and cuts 100s of calories out of your diet.

This sounds sort of like when the teachers in school were pushing the food pyramid on us. Fats/oils were the enemy, and breads and grains were the savior.

Bread and grains are fuel and fiber. So yes they are the Savior. As long as they are not super refined. And no I am not promoting the food pyramid. Half of what is on it should never be in a healthy diet.

Yeah...You are talking woo now. All food belong in a healthy diet in moderation. There is nothing wrong with white bread or white rice or white potatoes.

No it does not. And I did not say anything about white bread,rice, or potatoes. Just in case you didn't know IMO stands for MY OPINION. Not advice just my opinion. You don't like it do your own thing. I seriously hope it works out for you.

You didn't mean "all oils should be used as sparingly as possible if at all" as advice? You don't think there is any factual basis to your statement? I'm always confused when people say "It isn't advice, it's just my opinion" after making a declarative statement like that.

Yes it is my opinion. And yes there is science behind it. But I don't not always follow it. It was a suggestion for cutting calories. Do what you want. I hope it works for you. It was not declarative statement if you read it I specifically stated IMO in my original post. It amazes me how people feel it is OK to bash others due to different opinions on food. Eat a tub of it if you want. Idgaf
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

This sounds sort of like when the teachers in school were pushing the food pyramid on us. Fats/oils were the enemy, and breads and grains were the savior.

Bread and grains are fuel and fiber. So yes they are the Savior. As long as they are not super refined. And no I am not promoting the food pyramid. Half of what is on it should never be in a healthy diet.

Yeah...You are talking woo now. All food belong in a healthy diet in moderation. There is nothing wrong with white bread or white rice or white potatoes.

No it does not. And I did not say anything about white bread,rice, or potatoes. Just in case you didn't know IMO stands for MY OPINION. Not advice just my opinion. You don't like it do your own thing. I seriously hope it works out for you.

You didn't mean "all oils should be used as sparingly as possible if at all" as advice? You don't think there is any factual basis to your statement? I'm always confused when people say "It isn't advice, it's just my opinion" after making a declarative statement like that.

Yes it is my opinion. And yes there is science behind it. But I don't not always follow it. It was a suggestion for cutting calories. Do what you want. I hope it works for you. It was not declarative statement if you read it I specifically stated IMO in my original post. It amazes me how people feel it is OK to bash others due to different opinions on food. Eat a tub of it if you want. Idgaf

We don't even know if OP is looking to cut calories though. She may be trying to maintain her weight or even gain weight (like some people here are). The question was whether or not coconut oil is good for you.

Nobody is talking about eating a tub of coconut oil. I don't know if there is scientific evidence that oil should be eaten sparingly, if at all. After all, we do need some fat and if oil is the source of that necessary macronutrient, what harm is going to take place? What science are you referring to? This isn't "bashing," it's questioning how you came to your conclusion. Since we're in a thread where someone has asked for advice on whether or not something is good for us, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect things to remain factual.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    The cardiologist I work with thinks it's incredible at addressing inflammation and artery disease. Raves about new research etc.

The cardiac Nurse Practitioner who grew up in Papua New Ginea says the locals all at a diet rich in coconut oil and they are a population with a particularly high level of heart disease, so doesn't buy the claims.

I suffer from ibd which is an inflammatory bowel condition and have been told to avoid coconut oil as it increases inflammation!
  • shelleyrhoads
    Options

We don't even know if OP is looking to cut calories though. She may be trying to maintain her weight or even gain weight (like some people here are). The question was whether or not coconut oil is good for you.

Nobody is talking about eating a tub of coconut oil. I don't know if there is scientific evidence that oil should be eaten sparingly, if at all. After all, we do need some fat and if oil is the source of that necessary macronutrient, what harm is going to take place? What science are you referring to? This isn't "bashing," it's questioning how you came to your conclusion. Since we're in a thread where someone has asked for advice on whether or not something is good for us, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect things to remain factual.

Yes, we need some fat in our diet but we do not need oil. Nature gave us olives, coconut, and avocados. Man made oil out of them. I think it is a fact that coconut oil is high in calories and fat. Some of the people who have started my journey into a whole foods plant based lifestyle are:

Dr. Micheal Greger who started nutritionfacts.org
    Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn and T.Colin Campbell's work on The China Study
    Dr. John McDougal

Just a few that brought me to my conclusion. Since you question my ability to form an opinion on scientific fact. Who's work has influenced you?
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Yes, we need some fat in our diet but we do not need oil. Nature gave us olives, coconut, and avocados. Man made oil out of them. I think it is a fact that coconut oil is high in calories and fat. Some of the people who have started my journey into a whole foods plant based lifestyle are:

Dr. John McDougal

Just a few that brought me to my conclusion. Since you question my ability to form an opinion on scientific fact. Who's work has influenced you?

Nobody denies it is a fact that coconut oil is high in calories and fat. Do you believe that we should avoid all foods that are high in calories and fat? If that's the goal, coconut and avocado are also poor choices. If getting fat from coconut is okay, what's wrong with coconut oil?

I was curious to know what scientific research, if any, you were referring to. I'm familiar with the doctors you're referencing, they all have a strong anti-fat position. It's not surprising to see you recommend avoiding oil if those are your main guides.

I prefer the work of evidence-based nutritionists like Jack Norris and Virginia Messina. I don't think we have to avoid calorie-dense or high fat foods in order to maintain good health -- it's all about the balance of what we're eating and meeting our overall nutritional needs.
  • shelleyrhoads
    Options

Dr. John McDougal

Nobody denies it is a fact that coconut oil is high in calories and fat. Do you believe that we should avoid all foods that are high in calories and fat? If that's the goal, coconut and avocado are also poor choices. If getting fat from coconut is okay, what's wrong with coconut oil?

I was curious to know what scientific research, if any, you were referring to. I'm familiar with the doctors you're referencing, they all have a strong anti-fat position. It's not surprising to see you recommend avoiding oil if those are your main guides.

I prefer the work of evidence-based nutritionists like Jack Norris and Virginia Messina. I don't think we have to avoid calorie-dense or high fat foods in order to maintain good health -- it's all about the balance of what we're eating and meeting our overall nutritional needs.

The China Study was the largest nutrition study in the world. It is evidence based.

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options

The China Study was the largest nutrition study in the world. It is evidence based.

the results from the China study were all based on hand-picked evidence that supported the position that the researcher wanted it to support - if you include all of the data that the study yielded (instead of just the parts that were included in the published results), the results do not support the conclusions published in the book... don't believe me? There are hundreds of sites on the webs that debunk all of the published results from the China Study (including several from participating researchers who have distanced themselves from the results because of the cherry-picking and bogus conclusions drawn).
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Dr. John McDougal

The China-Cornell-Oxford project was a large study, however there has been a great deal of criticism directed at Campbell for drawing conclusions that aren't necessarily supported by the study results, using sloppy citations in his more popular works, and over-stating the health case for eliminating animal products or oils from the diet.

When I talk about evidence-based nutrition, unfortunately I'm not referring to Campbell and his work. I don't think it stands up to close scrutiny.
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is great as long as it's in the coconut that comes in a mounds bar.
  • shelleyrhoads
    Options
    We are getting off topic we can go back and forth. Or agree to disagree. I embrace the WFPB lifestyle. Do what works for you. I have my opinion you have yours.
  • greeder1
    greeder1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    To each his own, to me it tastes like I put soap in all my food when I use Coconut oil. :s
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Benefit: it tastes delicious and smells delicious and just like every other plant oil improves dry skin and hair, and gives guitars a healthy shine.

Downside: can be expensive, much higher in calories than eg butter so great for baking only if you want nuclear calorie bombs, not everything tastes great with coconut (shocker i know)

All oils have 9 calories per gram. A tablespoon of butter will have slightly less calories than a tablespoon of oil due to the presence of milk solids. Butter is not comprised entirely of fat.

Coconut oil contains no more calories per gram than any other oil.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

I'm glad you added that this was your opinion. While I prefer to eat low fat myself, I do like oils, and don't feel that diet gurus like those you are no doubt getting your information from (let me guess - McDougall for starters?) are the best sources of nutrition information.

Additionally, my reasons for limiting my consumption of fat have to do with personal satiety and not some mistaken belief that I'm healthier eating this way (though I believe my desire to limit saturated fat is a healthier choice for me given my FH) than someone who eats a higher fat diet.

• shelleyrhoads
    Options
    Toast is an amazing comfort food.
  • ibboykin
    ibboykin Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil has the highest level of saturated fat of all the oils I have reviewed. The coconut oil industry are the only folks that say their saturated fat is good for you. Sorry but saturated fat is the same regardless of its source.
    Go sit down with someone that truly knows, a dietician or your doctor, and see what they tell you. For me, I will take olive oil over coconut oil everyday and twice on Sunday.