Belly fat

Tips on loseing belly fat, is strength training the only way, I really can't workout due to having 2 brain tumors and medical problems. I lost 110 pounds by just eating healthy and walking 1 hour eveyday.

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    You can't spot reduce fat. Doing core exercises will tone and strengthen the muscles under your belly fat, but it won't direct your body to reduce fat from that area.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Eat less than you burn. You can't "target belly fat" regardless of what any commercials say. Let MFP figure your daily calorie goal, weigh and log your food to that goal and keep on keeping on. Not sure what your definition of "eating healthy" may be, but as long as your calorie intake is less than what you burn, you'll keep losing and the belly fat will go with it.
  • chrisfuentes2005
    chrisfuentes2005 Posts: 295 Member
    You can't spot reduce fat. Doing core exercises will tone and strengthen the muscles under your belly fat, but it won't direct your body to reduce fat from that area.

Thanks
  • chrisfuentes2005
    serindipte wrote: »
    Eat less than you burn. You can't "target belly fat" regardless of what any commercials say. Let MFP figure your daily calorie goal, weigh and log your food to that goal and keep on keeping on. Not sure what your definition of "eating healthy" may be, but as long as your calorie intake is less than what you burn, you'll keep losing and the belly fat will go with it.

Thanks
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    You need a calorie deficit.
  • chrisfuentes2005

Just keep under your calorie you mean my is 1,750 a day.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    You can't spot reduce fat and you would look strange if you could. People always want to reduce belly fat because it is the most obvious, but we carry fat all over.
  • chrisfuentes2005
    You can't spot reduce fat and you would look strange if you could. People always want to reduce belly fat because it is the most obvious, but we carry fat all over.
    Thanks do you still stay under your calorie then
  • trigden1991

If 1750 is the calories that you maintain on then yes that's correct.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Thanks do you still stay under your calorie then

Yeah, as long as you are eating fewer calories than you are burning you will lose fat. It will naturally be from all over because your fat cells will release fat based on what is going on in your blood.
  • chrisfuentes2005
    Thanks guys for your help
  • timma300
    timma300 Posts: 25 Member
    edited January 2017

Since OP is male, 1750 seems awfully low for maintenance unless he is very short and/or already at a healthy weight.

OP - if you set up MFP and choose a weight loss goal (0.5-2lb/week), eat the number of calories it gives you to continue losing weight if you want to reduce the amount of belly fat you have.
  • chrisfuentes2005
    timma300 wrote: »

Since OP is male, 1750 seems awfully low for maintenance unless he is very short and/or already at a healthy weight.

OP - if you set up MFP and choose a weight loss goal (0.5-2lb/week), eat the number of calories it gives you to continue losing weight if you want to reduce the amount of belly fat you have.

Yes I have it to lose 0.5 a week and it saids 1750
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Like the others have said, unfortunately we can't spot reduce where the fat comes off-as you continue to lose weight you'll get smaller all over. I have a flat stomach and I have a bmi of around 21. But, I'm pear shaped and carry my extra oomph on my thighs/bum. I have to get my bmi down to a 19 before that finally leans out to where I like it. However, when I was down to that weight range my upper half looked awful-collar bone stuck out, face looked way to thin etc. So I've learned to make peace with my lower half and just don't let it bother me (most of the time lol!).
  • timma300
    edited January 2017

Yes I have it to lose 0.5 a week and it saids 1750

In that case, you can eat 1750 kcal/day and lose 0.5lb/week based on MFP's estimates. You can try this for a few weeks to see if you are losing at the expected rate (2lb after 4 weeks) and then adjust your calories as you see fit. If after four weeks you have lost more than 2lb, it probably means your activity level is higher than you set and you could try raising it. If you've lost less, you can try lowering your activity level (or manually adjusting your calories by 100-200 calories if you are already set to sedentary). Though if you aren't hitting the predicted loss, you should check your logging first for inaccuracies. That can include everything from using the wrong database entries to guessing your portion sizes (food scale and database entries by weight are the best).
  • farrell16
    farrell16 Posts: 49 Member
    Yes unfortunately there is no way to tell your body where to remove fat from. Your body simply uses up the fat stores how it is genetically inclined to do so, we can't really control where that fat loss occurs.

Usually the abdominal area is the last stand for body fat, consider it the alamo where fat hides out till the bitter end :)

But whether your body is taking fat from arms, back, legs or face early in your progress, eventually when those area's are utilized eventually your body will have no choice to tap into the abdominal fat, once the calorie deficit requires an additional energy source and it has no where else to look.

This often demotivates people as they don't always notice when they lose fat in the face or back, because we all habitually review the mid section to gauge progress. But as logn as you are calorie deficit just trust it will eventually pull from the area you are wanting the most.

Good Luck
  • trigden1991

I know the OP responded to you but just to add; it sounds like the OP is sedentary.
  • chrisfuentes2005

I know the OP responded to you but just to add; it sounds like the OP is sedentary.

Yes sedentary I try to go on a hour brisk walk eveyday and try to keep active around the house
  • timma300

Yes sedentary I try to go on a hour brisk walk eveyday and try to keep active around the house

You probably are sedentary, but don't discount the walking and regular activity around the house - it's still good to get some light excercise in. Just try out your current calorie goal for 3-4 weeks and then compare expected to real world results.
  • chrisfuentes2005

You probably are sedentary, but don't discount the walking and regular activity around the house - it's still good to get some light excercise in. Just try out your current calorie goal for 3-4 weeks and then compare expected to real world results.

Ok thanks