Two weeks in and have not lost weight

Options

Replies

• melto1989
    melto1989 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You probabthear this way too often but don't weigh often. Weigh once a month because it's just discouraging. I've been here 2 weeks too and was complaining about the same things then on the 15th day I went on the scales and was down 3lbs so it happened like overnight!
    You can do this just stick to what your doing in months time you will see the fruit of your labour!
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    You're not eating too many calories- for your size you're likely eating too few but just leave the calories as is for the moment...

Remember new exercise regime causes water retention. So does monthly fluctuations in hormones, so does sodium. So it could be any of these masking your weight loss- so be patient and wait at least a month before evaluating your results- I'd give it 2 months actually.

One thing I would check on is if you are hitting your protein goal each day - proper protein intake is important for weight loss. Also check that you're not going way over on sugar, sodium, or carbohydrates. You can find this in "nutrition" -> "nutrients"

Also try to reach your fiber goal each day and drink plenty of water. Also make sure you're getting plenty of sleep and taking rest days off exercise- maybe 1 or 2 days a week no exercise (a short walk or stretching is ok but your body can't do strenuous exercise every day).

Try thatand get back to us in about 4 weeks.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Successful people on here may be close to goal weight or at maintenance, so they'd be eating less calories than you should. You say you weigh 281, that means you can and should eat what MFP gives you as your goal to lose. Once you lose a good chunk , don't worry, you'll have less calories to eat too, so don't be in a rush. I'm sorry you think you're being criticised, but you have no idea how many people come on saying they're not losing, convinced that they're doing everything right. Eventually it comes out that they aren't weighing everything--that means guessing. In the beginning you have to be as accurate as possible. Some lucky people can slack off after they get the knack--others have to weigh for life. It is what it is.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Patience is a virtue.
  • candythorns
    candythorns Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    If the things you're forgetting to log are calorie dense....I'm sorry but I don't buy this. Be honest with yourself and you'll see a change. Unless your scale is broken?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Give it time, its early days yet.
  • l911jnt
    l911jnt Posts: 164 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    check your scale. Just realized mine was wrong by weighing 2 days in a row (which I do not plan to do on a normal basis). I was down 4 lbs on the 3rd day and then back up 4 the next day. Getting a new one today. Also I check my calories from 3 or so sources online. Sometimes they are really off. I only have 4 days in right now but I did this 3 yrs ago and realized the calorie source differences then.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I was in your shoes - went from 279 to 174 - so I know you can do it.

You listed only your weight, but not your height or age. I'm not making any guesses from your photo, but for a hypothetical 280 lb female of height 5'4" and age 30 yrs, my calculator says that her maintenance calories are nearly 2400, 1900 will get her down about 1 lb a week and 1700 might get her 1.5 lbs per week. But these are all rules of thumb, not hard and fast figures. Your mileage may vary.

So, as a baker, you know how to weigh and measure. But as a baker, are you also possibly sampling and nibbling, and not counting all of your calories? All those extra bites add up, especially in something as calorie-rich as baked goods.

As others have noted, opening your diary would be helpful.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and 28 years old.

I sold my business 4 months back and have baked minimally since.

Maybe my scale is broken? I'll put a new battery in it. It's been fluctuating my weight by several pounds anyways.

The successful people are those who started out ahead of me. Most of the people I follow are around my weight.

Thanks everyone for the help. :)
  • flatlndr
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Maybe my scale is broken? I'll put a new battery in it. It's been fluctuating my weight by several pounds anyways.
    The successful people are those who started out ahead of me. Most of the people I follow are around my weight.

With your specs, I've rerun your numbers for a sedentary person:
    - 2460 cals to maintain
    - 1970 cals to lose ~1 lb per week
    - 1700 cals to lose ~1.75 lbs per week

Going below 1700 is looking ill-advised. Opening up your diary, and making sure you're not missing anything in your logs, will let those 'successful people' give more focused advice.

ETA: I see from another set of posts that you've already found the Scooby caluculator (which is what I used) and you also ran the calculation under the assumption of having a desk job, i.e., low baseline activity level. It also looks like you're making some pretty high assumptions for your calories burned. Unless you open your diary for further inspection, I think the rest of us are just taking shots in the dark.

• SierraFatToSkinny
    edited January 2017
    Options
    flatlndr wrote: »
    Going below 1700 is looking ill-advised. Opening up your diary, and making sure you're not missing anything in your logs, will let those 'successful people' give more focused advice.
    I've had it open for my friends.

I'm measuring success by them losing weight. I think that is appropriate.

Alright, I've opened it up for you. Don't judge me on the repeat meals. ;)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Could I ask you what exercise you're doing? Your burns are very high--800,700,1,600...... That might be where your problem lies.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    Options
    Could I ask you what exercise you're doing? Your burns are very high--800,700,1,600...... That might be where your problem lies.

I didn't include my workouts in the average.

But I've been hiking a lot. I was told on another thread to not trust the expenditure numbers, so I've been reducing them.

Today I'm going to hike for about 3 or 4 hours. (I haven't gone, I'll adjust when I get back.) I plugged in 200 mins and was given the caloric burn of... I think 2076... I then knocked it down to 1600. I figured that was close enough.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Don't measure success compared to other people. You are you. You have a different body and a different life.

You can support them and they can support you but weight loss isn't a team sport.

As for repeat meals, many people on MFP have success with eating basically the same thing every day. Some like consistency and some like variety.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »

Don't measure success compared to other people. You are you. You have a different body and a different life.

Sigh. Haha.

I was responding to the quotation marks. ;)
  • flatlndr
    edited January 2017
    Options

I didn't include my workouts in the average.

But I've been hiking a lot. I was told on another thread to not trust the expenditure numbers, so I've been reducing them.

Today I'm going to hike for about 3 or 4 hours. (I haven't gone, I'll adjust when I get back.) I plugged in 200 mins and was given the caloric burn of... I think 2076... I then knocked it down to 1600. I figured that was close enough.

Ah, I thought your story sounded familiar. I've seen you asking about hiking calories before.
    As far as those 200 mins of hiking goes, unless you are stomping away that whole time, I'd say your burn numbers are too high. That said, I've looked back a few days into your diary, and you don't seem to be eating much into your burn calories ... only 300-400, with your total intake being around 2000 +/- a bit.

A few things struck me as odd, such as 1 oz portions of ground beef, 2 oz portion of chicken, etc. Are you actually weighing/measuring those quantities, or estimating them?

ETA: Next time you go on a hike, can you run the app "MapMyWalk" or "MapMyHike", making sure you either link the app to MFP, or keeping them separate and inputting your stats (weight, etc), and then having the app track your walk and calculate your calories, and report back? Note that if you are hiking for 3+ hours, you might drain your phone battery if running the app that long, so I suggest you bring a portable battery charger, and use that along the way as well.
  • flatlndr
    Options
    flatlndr wrote: »

Great, thanks. I have plenty of repeat meals. Not an issue.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Is it possible you are losing inches but not lbs? 5 lbs up or down can be water weight. I would check that I'm getting enough protein and reduce sodium intake, along with drinking enough water.
  • hreneaorr
    hreneaorr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem. I thought it was my age. If I slip up even a little bit, I gain 3 pounds. I don't think you are not logging accurately. I think you might try limiting your calories a little more. I can't eat more than 1200 calories or I gain. I thought it was my age, but it may be some kind of health issue. Yours may be too. If reducing your calories doesn't do it, you might go get your thyroid or something checked out.