Observation about sugar

Options
Just looking back on my diary for the past few months I've noticed that days when I have something sweet for breakfast (I went through a stage of having grilled peaches with yoghurt)...No sugar on the peaches and no added sugar in the yoghurt but still lots of natural sugars...that I tended to crave more sugar during the day. As soon as I cut this out in the morning, my consumption of sugar was less. I would have it for a snack later in the day as it is filling and that was fine. Its just having it in the morning wasn't a good idea. Interesting to see patterns when I'm logging and gives an insight to where I can make changes. Just thought I'd share.

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Smart thing to watch for.
  • mis1022
    mis1022 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I noticed the same thing for myself a high carb breakfast keeps me wanting to eat all day.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    Options
    Good pointer!

I think the exact specifics will differ for everyone - what to eat, when, for best results. But that tip about attentiveness to patterns, and observing what works for you: That's gold.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I find eating anything in the morning triggers all day hunger/urges to snack. I cut out eating in the morning and do 16:8IF now and problem solved :)

Same.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    Options
    Personally, I need a good breakfast with solid protein, or I'll crash & burn (energetically speaking) mid-morning. The protein part of breakfast is what seem to have the biggest effect on whether I have cravings late in the day or not (especially carb/sweets cravings in the evening). On early workout days, breakfast is a bit lighter, but I typically either eat lunch earlier on those days, or have a protein-y snack after the workout.

I mention this not because I think others necessarily should follow the same pattern, but in support of my own "everyone's different when it comes to appetite & satiation" theory. ;)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    My experience has been different, but I like that you looked over your logs and found a pattern in there. I think that's a smart way to approach things. When I'm having a rough time staying within my calorie goals, I found that it's usually because I was eating too low in the previous days (around 1200 instead of the 1600 I prefer). Looking for patterns and then adjusting to make things sustainable is very important.
  • SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Same thing here OP. When I eat frosted mini wheats I start craving something sweet almost right away even though they are filling.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,140 Member
    Options
    I find eating anything in the morning triggers all day hunger/urges to snack.

Me too.

So I don't eat until about 10:30 am, and only very lightly.