Bad breath- anyone?

Options
It has become hard to avoid being close to people so they don't smell my breath it's awful. I brush my teeth mouthwash it makes no change. Is this weight loss related?
Going to be getting some breath mints...

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Are you on low carb?
  • melto1989
    melto1989 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Are you on low carb?

No, I've been avoiding some carbs because they take a lot of my calories per day but still eat them in other things except bread and pastas
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    melto1989 wrote: »
    Are you on low carb?

No, I've been avoiding some carbs because they take a lot of my calories per day but still eat them in other things except bread and pastas

How many grams of carbs are you averaging most days?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Are you on low carb?

OK, I only ask because bad breath can be a side effect of being in ketosis
  • lady_ghost
    lady_ghost Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Drrink high quality chlorophyll or take the capsules two-three time a day. In a day your bad breath will be gone, a week you won't have bad b.o two weeks your *kitten* will not stink but it will be green.
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    PeachesNcreamgal Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Dehydration?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth mouthwash it makes no change.

You don't floss, huh? That might be why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PreNWWOYfI
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Mouthwash is NOT good for bad breath. The alcohol in the mouthwash dries your mouth out which leads to the foul smell. Try a gum, instead. It increases saliva and that helps to minimize bad breath.

ETA: http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Health/story?id=1213420

"According to many experts, mouthwash does not eliminate bad breath. The mouthwash works at first -- killing lots of germs. Then, the bad news. Tierno says that the bad breath you wanted to prevent gets even worse. He says the alcohol content present in many mouthwashes can dry your mouth out. When the saliva glands are dry, they are unable to help wash away bacteria so the stinky stuff flourishes."
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Sometimes bad breath is a sign that you have a cavity.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Bad breath can be a symptom, can't remember of what, when low carb or dehydration are not involved. Possibly get it checked out if it continues, with a dentist or possibly doctor (if you can find one easily, under a month UK).
  • cheriecarew
    cheriecarew Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Do you floss daily? And brush your tongue? If not, that could be the culprit, if it's not diet-related. Not flossing is a very common cause of bad breath though. You shouldn't need mouth wash but if you do, try the alcohol free type because the ones with alcohol in them can be hard on your gums and can cause sensitivity.
  • Zarka_91
    Zarka_91 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water, take care of your dental health and also opt for natural products instead of mouthwash, i would suggest swishing a spoon of coconut oil in your mouth for a couple of minutes. it basically an "oil pulling method" and gets rid of bad breathe.
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Bad breath is a side effect of low carb diets and unfortunately if caused by ketosis cannot me ameliorated by oral care..webmd.com/oral-health/features/low-carb-diets-can-cause-bad-breath#1
  • Eleniala
    Eleniala Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Ketoacidosis can be smelled on a person's breath. This is due to acetone, a direct by-product of the spontaneous decomposition of acetoacetic acid. It is often described as smelling like fruit or nail polish remover. Ketosis may also smell, but the odor is usually more subtle due to lower concentrations of acetone.
    Ketoacidosis - Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketoacidosis
  • hellobaconplease
    hellobaconplease Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS have "keto" breath when losing weight, low carbs or not!
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    My ex husband had tonsil stones, they were top notch offensive.

Check your throat for little white bits, brushing and flossing and mouthwash won't do anything for you if that's what you have. It probably won't hurt to drink more water.
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    MsAmandaNJ wrote: »
    My ex husband had tonsil stones, they were top notch offensive.
    I was going to suggest tonsil stones as well, and I agree that no amount of dental hygiene will make any difference in your breath if tonsil stones are the culprit.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If your oral hygiene isn't decent, then it's from the bacteria in your mouth. One indication is your gums. If your dentist says you have inflamed gums, then you may have gingivitis or periodontal disease. And breath can wreak from it. Mouthwash can TEMPORARILY mask it, but the source is from below the gum line which isn't reached with mouthwash. That's why flossing is important. I learned it the hard way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    see a dentist to rule anything out,then go from there. it could be anything from a bad tooth,cavity,to stomach issues or even sinus issues. if you see a dentist and they cant find anything then talk to your regular doctor. especially if you brush,floss,etc. if you dont floss now is the time to start.