Increasing calcium without increasing sodium.

Options
cmtigger
cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
I've got kidney stone problems and need to increase my calcium, but also lower my sodium. (And stay low oxalate)
Any food ideas?

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    My hot tip on products these days is Chobani greek yoghurt.

170 gram cup of the Strawberry flavour has 14 grams of protein, 531 kilojoules, and only 55 mg of sodium.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Kale, spinach, broccoli raab, okra, swiss chard, spinach
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

Surely those aren't low oxalate though ?
    Are you able to eat dairy products ?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Calcium tablets?
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    Calcium tablets?

Probably not,with kidney stones
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Calcium tablets?

Pardon my ignorance but what impact does this have? Wouldn't any increase in calcium cause issues? What is inherently bad about the tablets?
  • cmtigger
    Options

Those aren't low oxalate, some are actually pretty high. And all would be high in the amounts needed to get a meaningful amount of calcium.
  • cmtigger
    Options

Surely those aren't low oxalate though ?
    Are you able to eat dairy products ?

Yes. Low sodium dairy products are probably my best bet.
  • cmtigger
    Options
    Calcium tablets?

Pardon my ignorance but what impact does this have? Wouldn't any increase in calcium cause issues? What is inherently bad about the tablets?
    Taking that much calcium at one time increases the amount in your urine, which can cause more stones to form.
  • cmtigger
    Options
    I should add, I went shopping yesterday and picked up yogurt, milk, cottage cheese, and cheese sticks. I always have felt like I'm getting a lot of dairy, but my stats aren't saying what I thought.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    tofu or white beans
  • cmtigger
    Options
    tofu or white beans
    I wish it was that easy. Those are also high in oxalates.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    tofu or white beans

Have you considered asking the physician that is treating the condition?
  • cmtigger
    Options
    tofu or white beans

Have you considered asking the physician that is treating the condition?

He gave me lists of high oxalate foods, and the goals for sodium, potassium and calcium. So I'm working on figuring out how to hit calcium without going over sodium.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    http://kidneystones.uchicago.edu/how-to-eat-a-low-oxalate-diet/

DAIRY PRODUCTS

They have no oxalate. They are your main source of calcium. Use them. They can add a lot of salt – cheeses – and can be caloric. But they reduce oxalate absorption and preserve your bones.

For a stone former who has to watch salt intake, increase calcium intake, and lower oxalate intake, here is how to do that. You cannot have as much cheese as you want because of the salt. So portion sizes are very important. Yogurt, milk, even ice cream are good bargains – modest sodium and high calcium. These are a great place to add in a wee bit of chocolate – high oxalate foods – for those of you who cannot live without these high oxalate treats.

Salmon may also be a good choice.
  • cmtigger
    edited January 2017
    Options

DAIRY PRODUCTS

They have no oxalate. They are your main source of calcium. Use them. They can add a lot of salt – cheeses – and can be caloric. But they reduce oxalate absorption and preserve your bones.

For a stone former who has to watch salt intake, increase calcium intake, and lower oxalate intake, here is how to do that. You cannot have as much cheese as you want because of the salt. So portion sizes are very important. Yogurt, milk, even ice cream are good bargains – modest sodium and high calcium. These are a great place to add in a wee bit of chocolate – high oxalate foods – for those of you who cannot live without these high oxalate treats.

Yes. I know about that page. But note that salt is an issue.

But it is the best I've found out there so far.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

DAIRY PRODUCTS

Yes. I know about that page. But note that salt is an issue.

But it is the best I've found out there so far.

I know, that's why I quoted the section with advice on low sodium and high calcium.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    Calcium tablets?

All I can tell you is that I take calcium supplements for osteoporosis and on the label it says to avoid if you have a history of kidney stones.
    I think a lot of it doesn't get absorbed (in fact it's probably pretty useless for osteoporosis tbh). But I have to confess - I don't know!
  • 5n00py
    5n00py Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a nightmare! I've had kidney stones twice in my life (and it seems if you have them once, you are prone to have them again). The key I was given is that my water intake needed to increase dramatically to help flush the kidneys properly. I did note that my fluid intake had been lower than it should be for some time before I had issues from pain with the stones. (As kidney stones ARE calcium, I would have thought the idea would be to reduce rather than increase it in your diet!!??) From looking at the charts on high oxalate foods, you cannot eat anything much at all!!! I would in all seriousness, get another opinion from another urologist before trying to get by with the minimal foods your do's and don'ts list leaves you with!!! In the meantime, drink heaps of water!!!!
  • 5n00py
    5n00py Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'd also stick to foods that have high fibre content as the body takes more time to work its way through the fibre to get to the sugars, salts, and other goodies. As such, the absorption rate is reduced, and the fibre does wonders to keep you regular!