Mountain biker (total beginner) - any tips?

Options
My kids are starting to get involved in mountain biking. We have fantastic track resources in the area where I live.

My old bike is a pretty but stupid cruiser and my partner surprised me by buying me a proper mountain bike so I can ride some of the trails with he and the boys.

I'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie and my first run today didn't disappoint.

Although, my partner drove me nuts calling out 'tips' to me though (he has about 2 week's more experience than me).

I know there are plenty of mountain bike specific forums. I will look through them.

I'm wondering if any experienced riders here have any basic tips for a newbie?

Cheers.

Replies

• CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Alot of it is just getting used to your own bike and how you manage it--and you do that by riding riding riding. Having it "fit" is probably the best thing you can do at first--make sure someone who knows what they're doing fit your bike to your body frame. As a kid, I'd just get a bike and ride it--but it really makes a difference as an adult with an "older" body. Tweaks in seat height and length of frame may make all the difference in the world to your back or hips or what have you. Most people I see have their seats too low, for example.

Learn to look at the track you want to take, not at the obstacles you want to avoid (don't do: "there's a rock in the path, avoid THAT ROCK, avoid, avoid, avoid" then smash into the rock...).

Get good footwear. Tennies may be fine at first, but they're not proper shoes for mountain biking. Try out clipless shoes as well as hard-bottomed non-clipped flat shoes to see what's more comfortable (new bikers may not want clipless right away until they get used to this different way of riding).

The biggest things to me are: get a proper fit, aim for where you want to go not what you want to avoid, and ride, ride, ride!!!
  • jedibeau82
    jedibeau82 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am a mountain bike instructor and would suggest watching this video. It goes over all the basics. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkvWp5ypjg0

Check out other videos by Global Mountain Bike Network on Youtube as well. They have a ton of videos on techniques to improve your riding. Most important tips I would say are: Look where you want to go, keep your weight centered and low over the bike and keep joints (elbows and knees) flexed but supple. Don't lock them up.

Ride a lot and have fun. Remember that progression is important and ego has no place in the sport. Get cocky and get hurt!
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys - bike has been fitted to me :)

Working on looking where I want to go rather than what I want to avoid. It's tricky.

Thanks for the video recommendations; I'll check them out.

I need to spend a bit more time getting used to this bike before I get too excited.
  • crackpotbaby
    Options
    wwc4rtx7o0jh.jpeg

^ this is a couple of sections from the beginner trails. There are some big ascents/descents and some graded obstacles spread throughout (luckily with alternate easy paths for total newbies like myself).
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    There is a women's weekend course call Dirtgirls that runs across USA and western Canada. Very worthwhile! It will take your riding up several notches.
  • crackpotbaby
    Options
    I'm in Australia but I think there is something similar here.