Calories

Options
Hi. I am wondering about the calorie goals set for me by MFP. I have a lot of weight to lose (about 75 lbs) and am in my late 50's and short (5'1"). The goal is set for me at 1200 calories a day. I played with the macro's a bit lowering my carbs to about 100g per my doctor. I am wondering if the 1200 a day is too low to start with? As I lose weight, do I go down from that number??? I do not exercise much at this time, maybe 1-2x a week walking on a treadmill.

Thank you for your help!

Replies

• chrismellor01
    chrismellor01 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    One thing to remember is that MFP is a computer thing and as such doesn't know your own situation, it only knows about general situations.

You have done the right thing by questioning what it tells you. Also, you mention you have spoken to doctor. What do they think? Is it a good idea to speak to a dietitian? They can work with you and the doc to get the best for your own situation. Use MFP as a support channel and tool for recording and reporting, don't use it's recommendations?

As for exercise - I'm guessing that you need to start of low and slow and then build up. I can't comment on 1 to 2 times a week, but it is certainly a start and thats the main thing:) As you do more, you will get a better understanding of what you can and maybe can't do just yet. Build it up by doing it longer and harder and more times.

If you don't feel right, then go to docs, get your BP etc checked and make sure you aren't hurting yourself.

Does any of that help?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    1200 sounds pretty reasonable to me for someone of your size. But if it's too low change your goals to lose less per week. Losing more slowly is better than being hungry and miserable while losing quickly.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    A general rule is that you could hope to lose 1% of your bodyweight per week.
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am wondering about the calorie goals set for me by MFP. I have a lot of weight to lose (about 75 lbs) and am in my late 50's and short (5'1"). The goal is set for me at 1200 calories a day. I played with the macro's a bit lowering my carbs to about 100g per my doctor. I am wondering if the 1200 a day is too low to start with? As I lose weight, do I go down from that number??? I do not exercise much at this time, maybe 1-2x a week walking on a treadmill.

Thank you for your help!

How much per week have you put in to lose? I'm on 1 lb a week as if i increase it then I'm down to 1200 cals
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    1200 sounds pretty reasonable to me for someone of your size. But if it's too low change your goals to lose less per week. Losing more slowly is better than being hungry and miserable while losing quickly.

This^

1200 is as low as MFP will go. So as you lose weight your weekly loss numbers will decrease.....your daily calories will stay the same.

It's more important to find a number of calories that satisfies, than it is to lose faster (or as fast). If you find 1200 too low for you make sure are more active. Logging exercise will earn your more calories.
  • imacurlygirl
    imacurlygirl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL!!! I saw a nutritionist yesterday and she told me I should be at 1300 calories! That was a great idea. Also learned more about macros and sample menus. I appreciate all of your help here -- this is a wonderful community!
  • chrismellor01
    chrismellor01 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL!!! I saw a nutritionist yesterday and she told me I should be at 1300 calories! That was a great idea. Also learned more about macros and sample menus. I appreciate all of your help here -- this is a wonderful community!

Very glad that you got the assistance you needed :) That's the important part, that you work with your doc and nutritionist and get a program that you are happy with and is tailored for you.

Good stuff and thank you for reporting back. Always good to know how others deal with their situation.