Starting College & Maintaing Weight?

Options
I know with having a tight schedule and limited options in college, I'll be lured to eat this and that. It's a known fact you gain a bunch of weight in college because you binge on Ramen Noodles and PB & J. If you all know some tips on how to stay healthy and maybe even lose some weight; feel free to comment!

Replies

• HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Move more, eat less.
  • klp1017
    klp1017 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Don't keep unhealthy snacks in your dorm room. Don't gorge in the dining hall. Walk everywhere.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I gained the freshman 30! I would drink beer, and eat pizza and other take-out almost every night LOL. Also, I worked out less and didn't play any sports like I did in high school. College is probably the most unhealthy 4 years of your life for many reasons.

However, college is a place where you can learn so much, even outside of the classroom. Just being here says you are serious about learning how to take care of your body.

First, learn how to stay within your calorie goal while still having fun and living "the college life." Learn about portions. Ditch any fad diets. Avoiding junk food in college is nearly impossible, so just learn how to control how much of the junk you eat!

Also, learn how to control your alcohol consumption. Aside from avoiding consuming a lot of calories, it will help you avoid other more serious problems. Stay away from the urge to get "completely wasted" every weekend.

Finally, move more. Take up running. Join an intramural team. Go to the campus gym. Walk with friends.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Here is the biggest tip.. When drinking (and you probably will be drinking) do not order food.. No take out, no late night pizza.. Avoid it!! And use the gym cause its probably free.
  • abbyrmichel
    Options
    Do you have a meal plan? I just finished my freshman year and I didn't really gain anything because I walked everywhere. It is a good idea to not keep unhealthy snacks in your room because those will be tempting. Also just try to make healthy choices in the dining hall because they will always provide desserts and such. (: chances are if you are conscious about it, you will be fine.