Advice on working out alone

Options
I love running and doing yoga outside but I usually don't have anyone to workout with me. I usually go to a nice area in town and run beside the road since the only track in my town is in a bad location. However, there has been more that I have been followed and harassed when I was excersing. Does this happen to anyone else? How do you deal with it and stop it from happening?

Replies

• BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I run with a small pepper spray that straps around my hand. I was followed once and that's when I bought the pepper spray. It gives me piece of mind. I run alone too. During the week, I stick around my neighborhood /local park. On the weekends, I try to go to trails that are scenic and where others are running. I've been running over a year, and only had that issue once.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004NKSPXC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484594262&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=hand+strap+pepper+spray+pink&dpPl=1&dpID=41hJQPxHViL&ref=plSrch
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Nope. I always workout alone. I've only been bothered a couple times, and it was by an old (maybe homeless) man who just wanted money or a ride. He eventually stopped hanging out there(and I had mentioned him to the police so perhaps they talked to him.

Do you really get followed while running? As for the yoga, maybe just do it in a more discreet location.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I'd find a different route. Or, consider cycling, you can get away faster.
  • KatelinDz
    KatelinDz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I bring my huge Lab (dog) with me. He looks much scarier than he is!
  • newbie3122
    newbie3122 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I guess you just need to outrun the follower/harasser ;)
    Make it a challenge :s
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Not a female but I like to run downtown and thru college campuses. For those using pepper spray take into account the wind speed and direction when spraying so it doesn't blow back. I use headphones and if needed I can dial 911and they can hear me but only I can hear them.
  • Jenna__XoXo
    Jenna__XoXo Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Nope. I always workout alone. I've only been bothered a couple times, and it was by an old (maybe homeless) man who just wanted money or a ride. He eventually stopped hanging out there(and I had mentioned him to the police so perhaps they talked to him.

Do you really get followed while running? As for the yoga, maybe just do it in a more discreet location.

Yes I do, it's only happened a few times but it's really scary and uncomfortable when it does. Yesterday I was running and I noticed a guy following me in his car. It went on for a few minutes before I really paid attention to it but when I looked at him he was staring at me and jacking off. I know he didn't actually try to harm me but it made me really afraid to go run by myself.
  • Jenna__XoXo
    Jenna__XoXo Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I run with a small pepper spray that straps around my hand. I was followed once and that's when I bought the pepper spray. It gives me piece of mind. I run alone too. During the week, I stick around my neighborhood /local park. On the weekends, I try to go to trails that are scenic and where others are running. I've been running over a year, and only had that issue once.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004NKSPXC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484594262&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=hand+strap+pepper+spray+pink&dpPl=1&dpID=41hJQPxHViL&ref=plSrch

I always have pepper spray and a small knife with me when I run but it doesn't really do much good unless you're super close to the person.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options

Yes I do, it's only happened a few times but it's really scary and uncomfortable when it does. Yesterday I was running and I noticed a guy following me in his car. It went on for a few minutes before I really paid attention to it but when I looked at him he was staring at me and jacking off. I know he didn't actually try to harm me but it made me really afraid to go run by myself.

That is so creepy!! Eww!! I had that happen driving on the freeway, but that would be even scarier while running!

Yeah...I don't want to be close enough to use pepper spray, but it's better than nothing. And yes, I know how to operate it and take wind direction into account. I had a bear encounter last summer. I had my bear spray armed and ready, but luckily that big guy finally started walking away from me.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I used to live in a city. I had to adjust the time of day and where I went for my jogs because of this same issue. I had to go to a very well used park and only went during hours the sun was out. In Canada you can only buy pepper spray with the INTENTION of using it on an animal, so it's a little tricky to get in some stores unfortunately.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Check this article (and podcast) out: http://www.runnersworld.com/running-while-female

Also, check around at your local running store or search online for running groups in your area. There is always someone to run with.

Good luck and stay safe.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest looking for running groups but dewd2 beat me to it, lol. But yeah, that would be my suggestion. I'm a member of my county's Road Runners organization, and my town's She Runs This Town group. Both offer group runs and connections to potential running buddies.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I've had guys follow me in their car before and honk or call out, but only once been followed on foot (and that was walking). Where I live, its easy enough to stick to a time and place so there are other people out (witnesses) and I feel less threatened, more annoyed. I'll also wear an earbud in the ear facing the street and pretend I can't hear them. I've had guys get angry when they feel they've been heard and ignored. Scary.
  • johnfernando
    johnfernando Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The Guardian is currently asking women to contact them if they run and are harrassed. They are doing research.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    I love running and doing yoga outside but I usually don't have anyone to workout with me. I usually go to a nice area in town and run beside the road since the only track in my town is in a bad location. However, there has been more that I have been followed and harassed when I was excersing. Does this happen to anyone else? How do you deal with it and stop it from happening?
    Confront and carry pepper spray. If they are harrassing you, either ignore or wear headphones.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jetmelt
    jetmelt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    maybe somehow indicate they they are being videotaped by your cell phone ar a go pro
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    KatelinDz wrote: »
    I bring my huge Lab (dog) with me. He looks much scarier than he is!

I won't go without my Rottweiler. I don't live in a great neighborhood though.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11" the predators(creepy perverts) of the world look at me the way a lioness looks at an injured gazelle, I have a conceal carry permit and I carry. I have a holster that fits under my bra line and around my waist. I started to carry at all times after someone offered to help me "exercise" and wouldn't take no for an answer I can tell you breath spray in the eyes works. If you can't get pepper spray there are other things you can use bear spray, cheap body spray, basically anything you can spray in someones eyes. Good luck.
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Wtf is wrong with some dudes. Dude I would just fking pepper spray that little dipshit pepper spray him while he's jacking off and watch that shiiit burn like hell.

Fk sake. What kinda fked up world are we living in where someone has to pleasure himself from a woman who is just trying to stay fit. He should get kicked in the teeth