Hard work, dedication and lifestyle changes.

Options
There is another post about extracts, this is in no way aimed at that user. I am just a bit tired of these...

Can I just say how effin' sick I am of seeing topics in the forum about oh, does this weight loss belt work, does this extract work, what about this magical pill that says all my problems and weight will magically disappear overnight. Jeez, if you believe ANY of that then I have a bridge I'll gladly sell you. I'm also so sick of seeing the commercials/infomorcials on these "miracle" weight loss drugs and other bs that is all over the TV. There is no magic pill, no fad diet, it's not going to happen overnight and there is no magic secret. Wait, there is, it's called hard work, dedication, and making lifestyle changes.

Sorry. Just needed to vent. Thanks!

Replies

• HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    But what if I get liposuction? That doesn't require hard work, dedication, and making a lifestyle change.
  • jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    And, per my Cardiologist, at $1000 you can go to a Dermatologist and have fat cells cilled via a new cold process!
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Completely agree OP.

Unfortunately, there are still stupid people in the world who think there are magic pills, or the wraps, or extracts, whatever it is.

And when us who have been here a while have to constantly repeat ourselves, it gets tiring. There is a search button o n the forums.

Oh well, to each his own.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I haven't noticed the forum postings on here, but all the ads, all the magazine articles, all the signs - I was nearly sucked in to a few of them in the past. I tried Slim-Fast years ago - and all I was left with was a grumbling stomach and an ulcer. I never bought into any of the pills, but what all these companies don't tell you is that once you're done with their program and go back to eating "normal", all the weight will come back.

I'm so grateful for coming across this app/site - it's been a real lifechanger for me!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    "But there's this new diet where someone cut out bread, fruits, vegetables, grains, meat, dairy, and only drank coffee flavored poop...They guarantee it works!"
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure who I put more blame on...the people who buy into this crap or the diet/fitness industry that perpetuates this nonsense. It's kind of a vicious circle I guess...there will always be people who want a miracle...who want X,Y,& Z and they want it right now...and there will always be the vultures willing and able to take advantage of the gullible.

I also think that the vast majority have almost no concept of "lifestyle"...if they did they would realize that, not only is it NOT about magic potions...but it's also not about this week or next week or OMG I've only lost X Lbs in a month...lifestyle is all about your forever...your life and how you live it forever...and I think people just have issues wrapping their brains around that big picture concept.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Without a market for it, these charlatans would go away. But then again, so many people are just so gullible, they will believe anything if you make it sound scientific. A fool and his money are soon parted. People desparately want to believe there is a quick and easy solution to all their problems. People want to believe that there is a cure to their incurable disease. There is but one guarantee I can make absolutely everyone here: no one is getting out of this world alive. But almost as guaranteed: Hucksters selling quick weight loss and diet scams will be going on forever. And all the ranting and knowledge in the world won't solve that problem.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I agree with both leebesstoad and cwolfman13. Without a market there'd be no one selling.

I also am not sure who to blame more, society for it's increasing mentality that they want things right now, right this second, food isn't fast enough, it takes too much time to shop/eat/workout right. I loathe all the commercials I see selling these products.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    And, per my Cardiologist, at $1000 you can go to a Dermatologist and have fat cells cilled via a new cold process!

I saw a commercial on this last night ... I thought "You have got to be kidding me!" I bet they make a fortune.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    "But there's this new diet where someone cut out bread, fruits, vegetables, grains, meat, dairy, and only drank coffee flavored poop...They guarantee it works!"

interesting... I like coffee but texture of dookie may not be tolerable... who's dookie? lol
  • Goddessmaker1
    Goddessmaker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I concur even as a fatty. I will say it's bigger than the shallowness I see often on this site. Society as a whole abhors fat folks. It's the worst thing you can call someone. You can be vain,airhead,arrogant,a douche etc and it's ok but fat just burns folks souls to no ends. Those that are fit are hailed as being the best and greatest. This then puts people in a frenzy of wanting to lose weight fast in order to be apart of the hailed people.

I also see that for many food is a comforter and a steady thing. I may not have a lot of money but if I can have some good tasty food then it's ok. Most stuff folk like is riddled with who knows what. It's very addictive and had to let go.

I know for me someone who has stalled for a yr in losing weight I know eventually something will have to give and change will be made. Be it on the normal path or surgery path. The mindset definitely has to be on health vs vanity.