Apple Cider Vinegar (and pulled pork)

Options

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Never thought about doing it with ACV, but this is our go-to recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/25147/sarges-ez-pulled-pork-bbq/. I do add a tsp of liquid smoke. Perfect every time.

I'd love a smoker! I'd smoke errythaing.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Never thought about doing it with ACV, but this is our go-to recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/25147/sarges-ez-pulled-pork-bbq/. I do add a tsp of liquid smoke. Perfect every time.

I'd love a smoker! I'd smoke errythaing.

You and me both! Salmon, bacon, baby back ribs...

Thanks for the link, btw. Definitely adding this one to my "must try" list. :)
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Not pork, but I made some kicking pickled eggs with apple cider vinegar. It's my go to cooking vinegar because I had a bad experience with plain white vinegar and lamb... and i kinda associate white vinegar with cleaning too much.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I am loving all these ideas! I love pulled pork!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    When done with the pork you'll probably have extra ACV remaining. I recommend using some to make collards. Oh, and you can use some of that pork (before cooking) to help flavor the collards.
  • CafeRacer808
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    Not pork, but I made some kicking pickled eggs with apple cider vinegar. It's my go to cooking vinegar because I had a bad experience with plain white vinegar and lamb... and i kinda associate white vinegar with cleaning too much.

I don't think I've ever had a pickled egg before, but that sounds really good. Do you use the ACV straight, or diluted?
  • CafeRacer808
    edited January 2017
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    When done with the pork you'll probably have extra ACV remaining. I recommend using some to make collards. Oh, and you can use some of that pork (before cooking) to help flavor the collards.

Great idea. I imagine it would work pretty well with kale as well. Do you cook the collards down in ACV (like a braise?), or do you just add a splash at the end?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    All together. I like Sandra Lee's recipe.
  • CafeRacer808
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    All together. I like Sandra Lee's recipe.

Wow, that looks really good. Thanks for the link!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    http://www.food.com/recipe/garlic-pickled-eggs-215049

I used this recipe. It's a cup of vinegar and a cup of water or beet juice.

I'd like to use beets next time, just didn't have any on hand.
  • CafeRacer808
    Options
    Emily3907 wrote: »

Net to bacon, pulled pork is easily my favorite pork dish. ;)
  • CafeRacer808
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    http://www.food.com/recipe/garlic-pickled-eggs-215049

I used this recipe. It's a cup of vinegar and a cup of water or beet juice.

I'd like to use beets next time, just didn't have any on hand.

Thanks for this! Using beet juice does sound pretty awesome. I suspect I'll be eating a lot of pork in the next month. LOL
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Mostly agreed, but you can't be sure unless you've tried baby back ribs slow smoked over hickory and pecan with a cinnamon/chili/pepper/sea salt rub. I loves me some bacon and pulled pork, but those ribs...hnnnnnggggg.
  • CafeRacer808
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Mostly agreed, but you can't be sure unless you've tried baby back ribs slow smoked over hickory and pecan with a cinnamon/chili/pepper/sea salt rub. I loves me some bacon and pulled pork, but those ribs...hnnnnnggggg.

OK, I stand corrected...that sounds freakin' awesome! Lol.
  • CafeRacer808
    Options
    So, @AnvilHead and I were discussing sushi and the idea of a pulled pork hand roll came up. And now it's all I can think about. Rice, pulled pork (or kalua pig), with pickled daikon or tsukemono, with either eel sauce, spicy BBQ sauce or Sriracha, wrapped in nori.

Thoughts on this admittedly brilliant idea? :#
  • TheSkyBlushed
    TheSkyBlushed Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Oooh, thanks for posting this. I was thinking of asking you about this recipe but I kept forgetting. BOOYA!
  • CafeRacer808
    Options
    Oooh, thanks for posting this. I was thinking of asking you about this recipe but I kept forgetting. BOOYA!

No problem. I occasionally post recipes to my newsfeed, so stay tuned! Lol
  • TheSkyBlushed
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I slow cook pork shoulders in my smoker (actually a kamado), using a dry rub and smoking over hickory and/or pecan wood. Sometimes I sauce them with a vinegar-based sauce, other times I'll use a thicker/sweeter Kansas City style sauce.

Here are two great vinegar-based Carolina BBQ sauce recipes from probably the greatest BBQ site on the web (he has a wealth of information and recipes, all free):

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/lexington_dip.html

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/east_carolina_BBQ_sauce.html

I tend to prefer either a KC or Texas style over a North Carolina style to for my bbq... kind of a sweet, smoky & hot VS vinegar but I do love to add the NC slaw. So basically I guess I'm an 'ol bbq hoe. ;)
  • TheSkyBlushed
    Options
    That. Looks. Fantastic.

Sadly, I don't have access to a smoker, so I'm relegated to using the slow cooker recipe I linked to above. What kind of wood do you use to smoke it? Hickory? Mesquite? There's a place in Northern California that uses mahogany to smoke all their meats and I've gotta say, it's pretty great.

Have you ever thought of using one of these countertop smokers? I've never used one, but have seen a lot of chefs use them on Food Channel, etc.
  • CafeRacer808
    edited January 2017
    Options
    That. Looks. Fantastic.

Sadly, I don't have access to a smoker, so I'm relegated to using the slow cooker recipe I linked to above. What kind of wood do you use to smoke it? Hickory? Mesquite? There's a place in Northern California that uses mahogany to smoke all their meats and I've gotta say, it's pretty great.

Have you ever thought of using one of these countertop smokers? I've never used one, but have seen a lot of chefs use them on Food Channel, etc.

Yes, I've seen those on Food Channel as well. I look at it as a step above Liquid Smoke, but it's still not quite the same as using an actual smoker, IMO. I want to smoke my own bacon, baby back ribs, a side of salmon, etc. Might be worth a shot, though!

PS - I love how one of the Amazon photos shows the product being used to smoke a single scallop. Who eats just one scallop? :D