Why fast food makes you fat

Options
_Waffle_
_Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
I've been thinking quite a bit about how simple this diet and losing weight thing really is. We're all here on MFP for many reasons but using the app comes down to simply counting calories. Is it really this simple? We just figure out how many calories we need a day and then we subtract that from the calories we eat. If the number is a negative we should lose weight.

Then I was thinking about the calories I eat. Why do I eat these? For energy of course. I need this food for energy that I used during the day. Calories are simply energy. So what does energy have to do with my weight? Do you remember Einstein's Theory of General Relativity?

52c7687643df1c12231b39e324850586.png

E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light. I'm not the best with math but it's really obvious that if we subtract energy from one side then we'll have to lose mass on the other side. It's just that simple. Less energy = less mass on my body.

There was however one small thing that kept bugging me about this. Do I need to worry about the speed of light part of this equation. Initially I thought it didn't matter because we're not catching food at the speed of light. If we did it would result in a huge increase of mass when we stopped it.

That's when it all clicked in my head. Fast food!

2010_08_30_1283131908_10980.jpg

Whenever we run out and grab fast food the extra energy from the speed of the fast food is transferred to us and results in us having more mass. Remember, energy = mass. Since the food isn't moving at the speed of light it doesn't make an instant difference but the little bit of extra speed we get from fast food will result in you obtaining more calories than you thought.

I haven't worked out an actual formula yet but I plan on testing this out. I'll eat fast food for a couple of weeks and see how many extra pounds I gain if I keep the calories the same. That should give me an idea of what % of calories I need to add to fast food items to get the real amount of energy that it gives us. This could be slightly offset if we grab the fast food in a car through the drive thru. I'll have to split this up and see if that makes a difference and I might test this out with delivery pizza since the drivers often speed to bring it to you.

Back when people used to take horses or walk to a store to get food we were all slimmer and more healthy. A slower lifestyle seems to have a very real effect on the amount of energy you intake. Perhaps this should be considered with microwaveable meals too? The atoms in the food are excited by the microwave and that means extra energy for your body when you eat it. I'm pretty sure that the fast food industry knows about this effect and they're trying to hide the fact that you obtain more energy than the listed calories when you eat fast food.

Replies

• homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    2s17zpk.jpg
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • Mija2010
    Mija2010 Posts: 11
    Options
    I enjoyed this! I love humor, intelligently done.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    45647-Math-is-hard-IbvL.jpeg
  • luckynky
    luckynky Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Back when people used to take horses or walk to a store to get food we were all slimmer and more healthy. A slower lifestyle seems to have a very real effect on the amount of energy you intake.

Love this part.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    LOL
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

How YOU doin'??? LOVIN' that profile pic! :tongue:
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

How YOU doin'??? LOVIN' that profile pic! :tongue:

I like you.
  • CountingCaloriesSuxass
    CountingCaloriesSuxass Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I think I need to keep you busy..see what happens when you have alot of time...
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options

LOL!

OP, I love you. :drinker:
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this great post. I have been trying to figure out why fast food always makes me fatter than eating clean, and this shows a really good explanation. You are obviously a very smart guy.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this great post. I have been trying to figure out why fast food always makes me fatter than eating clean, and this shows a really good explanation. You are obviously a very smart guy.

QUICK! Get in the van, I have candy and you're purty :flowerforyou:
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    This is why I never eat in-flight meals! ;)
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    this is actually incorrect, and I think I know why you are confused

E=mc2 is not the whole story, it only applies to mass that is not moving

FAST food is obviously moving so..

E^2=(MC^2)^2 +(PC)^2

This way you can account for momentum
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    lmao :drinker:
  • Janice2Shakira
    Options
    when-im-studying-the-night-before-my-math-exam-10632.gif

...my god. What has science done?!
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Brilliant!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe I didn't realize this already. You, sir, have changed my life.

:flowerforyou:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    This made me feel a funny.

And want a Big Mac.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I'm craving some fries.... Mmmmmmm