Ebooks VS Books

Options
LittleHearseDriver
LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
edited January 2017 in Chit-Chat
I'm in the process of writing a book about my job as a funeral director and embalmer. I'm having a hard time deciding if I should publish my novel as an Kindle eBook or to go through a traditional publisher. I want my book to reach out to as many people as possible.

Ebook Pros
I can self publish at little to no cost and pass on the savings to the readers.
I don't have to worry about publishers rejecting it.
Many people read via electronic devices.

Ebook Cons
Unable to publish in stores.
Excludes those who do not own a Kindle.

What are your thoughts? Please share any other pros and cons that you can think of.

Replies

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Would you potentially get more circulation if it went through a publisher? Is it worth trying? I have no idea if it is even a possibility but given how much people have loved your Q&A thread, I would think there's a market for it!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    funeral director and embalmer ?

no brainer...

coloring book!
  • katiepoo22
    katiepoo22 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Real books all the way I don't even look at ebooks I disregard their content straight away!
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I don't see why you couldn't try a few (in reality a few dozen) traditional publishers and then publish as an ebook if it isn't picked up.

I know some authors have actually been picked up from Amazon if their books did well, but I don't know how likely that is.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-self-publish-an-ebook/

I buy and read mostly e-books these days. I probably wouldn't buy a paper book from an unknown author.
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

no brainer...

coloring book!

You are brilliant! That's a million dollar idea. You and I could cash in on the adult coloring book craze!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Ebook Cons
    Unable to publish in stores.
    Excludes those who do not own a Kindle.

Isn't there a kindle app for most devices? I've got one on my phone and tablet (both Android).
  • Tabbycat00
    Tabbycat00 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm an avid reader. I prefer Ebooks. I love having all my books with me at all times.
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    everher wrote: »
    I don't see why you couldn't try a few (in reality a few dozen) traditional publishers and then publish as an ebook if it isn't picked up.

I know some authors have actually been picked up from Amazon if their books did well, but I don't know how likely that is.
    That's a good point
  • Motorsheen
    Options

no brainer...

coloring book!

You are brilliant! That's a million dollar idea. You and I could cash in on the adult coloring book craze!

right?

there was a traditional kids' book titled: Pat the Bunny (it was great,kids loved it)

patthebunny2.jpg

there was a remake:

pat-the-zombie.jpg
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I like both digital and hardcovers, but I travel often and always take my Nookie with me
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    dc6088 wrote: »
    I ] always take my Nookie with me

I bet you do.

• dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    dc6088 wrote: »
    I ] always take my Nookie with me

I bet you do.

Shhh, that one too, don't get me busted
  • whirlyruns
    whirlyruns Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What are the differences from an advertising and marketing perspective? It seems like a traditional publisher would be a great help there. I buy both ebooks and print books on a regular basis, but I tend to ignore self published ebooks as they are often crap.
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    The writer would be soley responsible for advertising and promoting their eBook. I think it would be extremely difficult to promote it well on my own.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    whirlyruns wrote: »
    What are the differences from an advertising and marketing perspective? It seems like a traditional publisher would be a great help there. I buy both ebooks and print books on a regular basis, but I tend to ignore self published ebooks as they are often crap.

My thoughts exactly
  • keodell1966
    keodell1966 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I read a ton on my phone and tablet. If its not a major author ,I'd say go self publish. I buy ebooks all the time! Let us know what you decide. I'd buy for sure.
  • thedcubed1
    thedcubed1 Posts: 7,209 Member
    Options
    I definitely enjoy both. If it's a book that's been recommended, I'll buy the eBook and if it's something that I feel like I'll pick up again, I'll consider buying the hardcover. There are some mainstays that I have hardcovers of just because I still love the feeling of sitting down and my fingers going through the pages when I want to read those again.
  • sw33tp3a1
    sw33tp3a1 Posts: 5,065 Member
    Options
    I read a lot of ebooks. I collect paperbacks of books I've read through Kindle. A version of an ebook would be easier as most starting writers start that way to spread their work but I think try for the publisher if that doesn't work try the e-thing.