Running 3km

Hi all, I have been running 3km for
Several months now and times and fitness have improved dramatically but now I have had a plateau. Any advice how to take the next step up?

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Run 4km? :smiley:

Seriously, what are your goals? Are you trying to get faster? Or just run for fitness?
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Increase your overall mileage. Believe it or not, just running a greater volume of miles will help you to improve your speed. The general recommendation is to not increase weekly mileage by about 10% or so each week, just to reduce risk of injury. But I would definitely recommend increasing mileage.

If you feel good about it and up to it you can also look into trying some speed training (fartlek runs, strides, sprint intervals, etc). A little time on Google will get you some great info.

Maybe even pick a race as a goal to work and build towards. Start with a 5k and see how you like it, the race environment can be really fun and motivating!
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Really depends on your goals. But, basically you can run further or faster.
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Run further, run faster. Jogfm will give you songs at certain MPH, just pick songs that have a faster beat.
  • ise311
    ise311 Posts: 107 Member
    I used to run 5km, now can only manage 3km. Feel I'm getting old :(
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    run farther
  • TavistockToad
    ise311 wrote: »

you're kidding aren't you, you're 29???
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member

Don't tell her what happens when you hit 30. :)

BTW - I'm faster at (almost) 48 then I was at 29. The reason? I work harder to get fast.
  • lisawilkes20
    lisawilkes20 Posts: 138 Member
    Find your local park run, they have timed 5k runs
  • TavistockToad
    dewd2 wrote: »

Don't tell her what happens when you hit 30. :)

BTW - I'm faster at (almost) 48 then I was at 29. The reason? I work harder to get fast.

I only started running at 32 so I wouldn't know!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    As others have said, just start adding distance to your runs.

Conventional wisdom suggests that you don't increase your overall training volume by more than 10% week over week so if, for example, you're running 3 x 3km weekly make one of the runs 4 (slow) km then the following week 1 x 3km & 2 x 4km and so on..... I wouldn't worry too much about speed just yet as you're building your aerobic base.

If you're not already you should consider cross training (biking, swimming, strength training) as a way of improving both your overall fitness and injury resistance.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Just slow down a bit and run further. Not complicated!
  • pomm427
    pomm427 Posts: 2 Member
    If you can run 3k 5k is doable. Take walking breaks if you have to, but just try. Never thought I would ever be able to do 20 plus but have done several Halfs.