Need nutrition guidance from all you runners!

Options
I hit 195 day streak this morning. I have lost just over 50 lbs which is awesome. I’ve also been able to get back into running (in my 20’s I regularly did half marathons and 10 and 20k races). Yesterday was my long run and I was able to run 3 miles, walk 1 mile and then run another 2 miles. Wow! Best thing was that I actually enjoyed the run and didn’t feel like I was pushing myself beyond my ability.

This is where my problem lies…it seems as I’ve increased my running, I’ve lost the ability to keep a lid on what and how much I eat. I want to eat everything!

I’m currently at 189 lbs, 5 foot 5 inches, 40 years old. Female. MFP is set to limit my calories at 1450 per day (trying to lose 2 lbs per week—which perhaps is unreasonable?). As I look back over the past few weeks, I realize on the days I run, I tend to go over my calorie limit — usually in a spectacularly unhealthy way. This is the same behavior I recall from the old days…do a great run, eat junk the rest of the day.

I try to workout 4 to 5 days a week. I will run 3 miles one day, next day walk 4 miles, run 3 miles the next, and then walk 4 the last day. Plus one day over the weekend will be a long run of up to 6 miles like described above.

My weight has stalled over the past two weeks and I realize that is not long enough to truly evaluate anything. However, there is obviously a problem with my being able to balance my workouts with my eating habits. I know the eating habits have to be reined in. But how? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    MFP is based on the idea that you adding back exercise calories and gives you an initial goal based on no exercise. I'd either increase overall calories some or add back calories when you run (I did this when I was losing -- used Runkeeper estimates for short runs and ate back about half of the calories from long runs, as I wasn't hungry for them all and the longer you run the more they tend to be overstated as they don't deduct the calories you would have burned anyway).

Better to add back some than just be hungry all the time and then lose your self control and it will help you run better, anyway.

(I trained for a few half marathons when losing and ate back running calories as described and continued to lose as my expected/goal pace, no problem.)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Don't be in a rush to lose the weight. Two pounds a week is a very aggressive goal, and if you're going way over on your long run days, yes, it is unreasonable.

You could either do as Lemurcat suggests and add extra calories on your long run days or slow your rate of loss. The slower rate of loss will probably be better for your running performance and might even help with the overall appetite problem.

I started out a lot heavier than you, and only lost at a pound a week and am glad I did.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    2 lbs/week is a much more aggressive weight loss goal, relatively speaking, than it was when you weighed 50 lbs more. At this point it will be more realistic to dial it back a little.

Record your calories burned from running, and allow yourself to eat back about half of them. Half, just in case MFP is overestimating your calorie burn, but at least some, because part of what's going on here is that your body is demanding you refuel after getting all that exercise. (Congratulations on your progress, by the way!) Try to get some protein after a run. That will help both with satiety, and with rebuilding your muscles after the exertion.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I've lost 90 pounds so far, and have trained for two half marathons and many shorter races during the same time. I eat a small snack (usually fruit, maybe with some peanut butter) before my runs, and after long runs I eat another snack (usually a protein bar) even if I'm not very hungry yet. I think that making sure to eat after my run helps me feel less hungry later in the day. I generally eat back about half of my exercise calories overall.

You may also be reaching a point at which you may feel better if you take in carbohydrates while you're running (http://www.active.com/nutrition/articles/how-to-fuel-on-a-run). You might have done this when you were running longer races. You don't have to buy special foods for this if you don't want to; some runners like energy gels or other products designed to be eaten while running, but I trained for my first half marathon with raisins and Nuun (a low-calorie electrolyte drink).
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    A 3 mile run only burns about 300 calories, so you need to be careful what you eat before and after your run. I suggest something like a piece of fruit, which is filling and will give you some carbs to replenish your energy, or a piece of cheese, since the fat and protein tend to fill you up for longer. Just don't eat more than you burn.

As you get back into running, you may find that you can go longer without feeling extra hungry. I run 5 days a week: 2 short, 2 medium and 1 long. At this point, anything under an hour is a short day and I don't eat extra.

If you are really hungry, then setting your goal to 1 pound a week is more likely to keep you satisfied. It gets too easy to just say "FTS, I'm going to eat" if you are feeling deprived.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If you don't want your running to suffer, you will most likely need to eat more. At least on your long run days.

Perhaps shift your goal to 1.5 pounds to lose per week, and realize you are burning calories in the 6 mile run/walk combination. An extra 200-300 calories that day would not be unreasonable.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you take something with you and eat a little something while you are running you are less likely to overeat later. Your weight loss stall may be as much related to a change in your exercise routine as it is what you are eating. The body starts holding more water when muscles take more strain than what they are accustomed to. It'll go away in about three weeks.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you explained this and I missed it, I apologize -- are you limiting yourself to 1,450 a day or are you eating back some of your exercise calories?
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    A few thoughts that are similar to other posts above.

As your runs start to reach 75-90 minutes, you may want to add a bit of fuel before the run in the form of easy to digest carbs, such as 1/2bagel w/honey or a gel, (Gu, Hammer, etc. ) As you reach or exceed 90 minutes of running, some calories taken in during the run may also be a help, either liquids in a water bottle (eg, Tailwinds, Heed, First Endurance, Gatorade, etc.) or in an easy to digest solid form (Gels, Shot Bloks, etc.) Finally, a recovery drink immediately following helps to rebuild muscle and provide some satiety. Chocolate milk is a favorite among my training group. If you wanted something more, a banana or other fruit would work. Finally, be sure to replenish water lost during your runs.

It might take some time to dial in the calorie intake needed to support longer runs with the overall deficit required to lose weight. Finally, I know that hunger brought on by running can be a challenge to manage, but I think a bit of fueling done specifically for or just after the run ought to help. As others have suggested, several hundred calories extra on long run days should do the trick. Good luck!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    You've gotten good advice above, so I'll only mention two things.

1) It sounds like you're being taken by surprise by the calories. Plan ahead for your fuel, just as you do for your exercise. I pre-log every evening for the next day, taking into account my schedule and workout plan. Then if I want to change it, it's a conscious choice, not a surprise.

2) You're an athlete now, so try eat like one. What fuel will help you perform your best on the run? It helps me to think of my eating as a support to my athletic goals, rather than a punishment or restriction.

Happy running!