Clean eating questions...

Options
Cassycat
Cassycat Posts: 68 Member
Okay guys, i've been reading up and reading up and i've pretty much decided that clean eating is the best thing ever for people. I'm ready to try it but i have a few questions regarding it, and i havent been able to find an exact answer...

When talking about oatmeal, what kind of oatmeal is "allowed?" I mean, accepted by the clean eating community? Can you use the packeted oatmeal, or is it just straight up nothing added rolled oats out of the big cylinder?

Is cerial allowed? I dont mean like fruit loops, but special K? or other "healthy" brands?

Or if any of you have a nice dos and donts list, that would help too =D

Replies

• nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Special K is no different to other cereals. There is still plenty of sugar in them and calories are no different. It has 11g of sugar per 30g of cereal (with milk) which is 3 teaspoons. Froot Loops has 17g (4 teaspoons).

For cereal try Bran flakes, Shredded Wheat or Weetabix. I like bite size so I can snack on them if I want.

Just plain oats is best. I use superfast oats that cooks quickly in a few minutes with either milk or water.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I like old-fashioned oatmeal soaked overnight, cooked in microwave for 4min @ 30% power (doesn't boil over.) Add some cinnamon and whatever you like for sweetener. I also like Quinoa (rinse before soaking).

Not normally eat cereal except at night, but I found Great Grains has more protein than some of the other brands. But if I'm eating cereal at night? Its gonna be Lucky Charms :love: :bigsmile:
  • cmfaris8
    cmfaris8 Posts: 39
    Options
    I try to mostly eat clean, if time and budget permits, however breakfast is one meal I always eat clean. From my understanding of clean eating, I would not eat packaged oatmeal unless you made it yourself using oats out of the cylinder. I know they sound boring but you can actually get them to taste better than the packets by adding your own flavorings. I keep home made, stored, individual packets in ziplocs in my pantry so they are as easy to make as packaged ones, just throw in some water/milk and microwave. In the bags you can add brown sugar, nuts, dried fruit, anything that you like in oatmeal. It will actually save you time and money in the long run considering you won't be purchasing overpriced individuals.

Also, I try to avoid cereal at all costs because of the added ingredients. And technically most cereals aren't considered clean because they are either processed or refined or both. They might look clean and "healthy" but once you look at the long ingredient list, put it down. If anything, I have Kind granola on hand in my pantry. It's high sugar so I tend to only eat that before a morning workout.
  • jaliving
    jaliving Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If by clean eating you mean cleaning your plate, I am in! :-)
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I only use Bob's Mills Gluten-Free Oats or the 365 Organic Rolled Oats. I gave up my Kashi cereal awhile ago because it always made me so bloated. Much happier sticking to my bowl of oatmeal in the mornings.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    If you are going to do cereal, do old fashioned oats straight from the cylinder. Even the 1 minute oats have been treated (processed) so that they cook quickly, therefore making them less nutritious then the Old Fashioned variety. There are no 'healthy' box cereals out there. If it has more then 5 ingredients or something you can't identify- avoid it!
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Get ready for all the hippies being trendy to respond with smart *kitten* comments about "eating clean". Anyway, I started eating kashi cereal only because i'm looking to add weight, i find it to be pretty good. When i was in a calorie deficit, i'd cut out cereal. Only because i considered it empty calories. It's all perspective. Eat what you want to eat, play around with it, and see what works for you.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    in for the epic battle between good and evil...
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    Any oatmeal... you can clean it in milk!!
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    In for all the "clean" priests exorcising food demons.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    In for all the "clean" priests exorcising food demons.

^^This - Good luck OP!
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    WHOLE foods typically mean adequate nutrition. Eating a diet with a lot of WHOLE food is beneficial.

Whole food does not care if it's organic, nor does it have to be 100% of your diet for WHOLE food to be beneficial.

Eat an overall nutritous diet, and skip the labels.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    How about watching your calories in versus calories out, getting adequate protein and good fats and watching your micronutrient and fiber intake? Those matter according to many studies. Or you can engage in debates of which foods are "good" and which are "bad" based on nothing more than someone else's unscientific opinion.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    In case things head south....OP, there are a ton of groups on MFP that are dedicated to clean eating. They might be able to help you. I know a lot of people have different ideas what clean eating is and the percentage of what is "allowable" or should be aimed for.
  • Tamira12
    Tamira12 Posts: 5
    Options
    37855772.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Get ready for all the hippies being trendy to respond with smart *kitten* comments about "eating clean". Anyway, I started eating kashi cereal only because i'm looking to add weight, i find it to be pretty good. When i was in a calorie deficit, i'd cut out cereal. Only because i considered it empty calories. It's all perspective. Eat what you want to eat, play around with it, and see what works for you.

That doesn't make sense. Wouldn't hippies be the first to advocate completely eating clean?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

That doesn't make sense. Wouldn't hippies be the first to advocate completely eating clean?

Clearly they mean the other kind of hippies.

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    2irukv5jpg.gif

In for the train wreck....... :smokin:
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    2irukv5jpg.gif

In for the train wreck....... :smokin:

train-wreck-o_zps088cecf1.gif

Me too