Portion control

Options
So I've gotten a lot better about what I eat, now I need help with how much. I think this is why I'm not losing weight. I eat large dinners.

Any suggestions or tips?

Replies

• oct131920
    oct131920 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue but the last couple days I've been using my food scale and get the correct amount of food so I don't over eat.
  • rks581
    rks581 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Using a food scale to measure out your portions by weight is probably your best bet. For myself, I eat a lot of prepared and packaged food as well as a lot of whey protein so the barcode scanner and recent foods works well for me, but if you cook for yourself you will need a scale to be sure of getting the right portions. If you go premium you can budget specific amounts for each meal, so you can have large dinners but smaller breakfast and lunch, or you can just track what you eat as you go through the day.
  • cruisin99
    cruisin99 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yes you have to accurately log all your food so you can see where the problem areas are. A small scale that cost me 15 bucks tells so much on portions and such.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    I like a large dinner as well. I get a large dinner by having an entire steam-in-bag of veggies to go with whatever else I'm eating. My favorites are broccoli and green beans.
  • chabr38
    chabr38 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yes, i pre planned my meals today and I counted my calories so I have 56 calories left over after dinner. I was able to see what I could eat so that way I know i wont go over my calorie count and problem areas.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Besides the food scale, it helps to pre-portion foods. For instance, if I take home calorie-dense leftovers from a party, I'll portion it into bags/containers and have a serving whenever I feel like it. It's harder to overeat with everything portioned out.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    You could eat a large dinner, and still lose weight, if it fit in your daily calorie allotment. Are you weighing and logging your food?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm a volume eater so I bulk my meals out with vegetables or salad. Definitely use a food scale, even for veggies.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    MFP tells you how much to eat. Weigh out everything and log it, and hit your calorie goal. Prelogging is usually a good strategy.

Is your problem stopping after you have had appropriate portions? That's trickier. I have found trusting MFP a great help. Seeing the numbers and knowing I have had what I needed, is comforting. Having to log everything also gives me time to think, am I really hungry, is this worth the calories, etc.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I eat large dinners, so big that i eat off a serving plate.... Im achieving my goals (fat loss) because I plan and log everything to make it fit.

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    MFP tells you how much to eat. Weigh out everything and log it, and hit your calorie goal.

Quoting so the OP re-reads this.
  • mbanks123
    mbanks123 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Try drinking more water to fill you up more and just stop eating when you no longer feel hungry!

Don't feel bad about not finishing your food and binning it, even if you're in a restaurant! You will feel better after.
  • chrismellor01
    chrismellor01 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Use smaller plates and make less.
  • Loganmmontgomery
    Loganmmontgomery Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    So I've gotten a lot better about what I eat, now I need help with how much. I think this is why I'm not losing weight. I eat large dinners.

Any suggestions or tips?

Any suggestions or tips?

Any suggestions or tips?

Any suggestions or tips?
    MFP tells you how much to eat. Weigh out everything and log it, and hit your calorie goal. Prelogging is usually a good strategy.

Is your problem stopping after you have had appropriate portions? That's trickier. I have found trusting MFP a great help. Seeing the numbers and knowing I have had what I needed, is comforting. Having to log everything also gives me time to think, am I really hungry, is this worth the calories, etc.

• Loganmmontgomery
    Loganmmontgomery Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yes my problem is not knowing when I'm full, mostly. I struggle with how much I put on my plate since I feel very hungry at that moment. I'm used to eating a lot and eating a lot is my emotional filler.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Yes my problem is not knowing when I'm full, mostly. I struggle with how much I put on my plate since I feel very hungry at that moment. I'm used to eating a lot and eating a lot is my emotional filler.
    To recognize hunger and satiety cues: Google "The Hunger Scale".
    To eat portions more appropriate for you: Google "mindful eating".
    To stop using food as a comfort blanket: Learn to face and handle your emotions. Meditation can also be helpful.