Just starting; need help

I've never been tiny and have been struggling with my weight since my second child. I'm 52 and want to lose about 80 lbs. I have under active thyroid along with back problems, sciatic nerve pain and some heart problems but I really need and want to lose this weight. I've started by cutting out soft drinks and I'm doing a 7 day fast with no sugar, bread, dairy or fried foods which hasn't been easy but hopefully it will get me started. I would love advice so if you have any don't hesitate to share. Thanks!!

Replies

• sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Welcome. My advice would be to rethink your strategy. Cutting out things you like just makes it harder to stay on track.

Here is what works for me:

1. Make small, sustainable changes to diet and exercise. The goal is to do things that you can continue to do long-term.

2. Log all foods carefully and honestly. Use a food scale, especially at first. Stay mindful of what you are eating.

3. Aim for modest calorie deficits daily. Slow and steady wins the race.

4. Try to do something active every day. Do whatever you can. Everything helps. When you can do more, do more.

5. Pay attention to what you eat and how it makes you feel. Try to replace carbs and sugars with proteins and higher fiber alternatives. Don't cut anything out completely, just aim for modest servings that fit within your calorie budget.

6. Don't focus too much on the big goal. Focus on the small successes that will get you there. Every day you hit your calorie target (or even just eat at or below maintenance), every day you do something active, every single thing you do consistent with those goals is a success and a gift to yourself that will contribute to your long-term health and well-being. If you make a habit of them, you will lose weight and keep it off!

7. Don't get discouraged! There will be ups and downs, good days and bad days, easy days and hard days. Just keep at it. Celebrate your successes and forgive yourself on those days when things don't work out. Over time you will see the progress.

Good luck with it. You got this!
  • Rae_Cray
    Rae_Cray Posts: 5 Member
    Shuga2014 wrote: »
    I've never been tiny and have been struggling with my weight since my second child. I'm 52 and want to lose about 80 lbs. I have under active thyroid along with back problems, sciatic nerve pain and some heart problems but I really need and want to lose this weight. I've started by cutting out soft drinks and I'm doing a 7 day fast with no sugar, bread, dairy or fried foods which hasn't been easy but hopefully it will get me started. I would love advice so if you have any don't hesitate to share. Thanks!!

Baby steps. Make changes you can stick with. They say 21 days makes a habit. Every 21 days add a new goal. For example after cutting soda for 21 days maybe add walking each day to boost your metabolism. 21 days later eliminate fried foods. And so on until you reach your goals.

You also need to reward yourself. Maybe a pedi after loosing 10lbs, new walking shoes after 20 lbs and you get where I'm going with this.

Good luck on your journey!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!