Food Elimination/ easy to assemble meals/ ingredient substitutions

Options
I had some testing that revealed many intolerances and am going to start eliminating. I mostly rely on take out and prepared foods.

My list of foods/spices to avoid:
Moderate/High Allergens: Dairy, Wheat/Gluten, Chicken, Sardines, Garlic, Walnuts, Yeast

Low level Allergens: Pork, Turkey, Duck, Eggs, oysters, Fish except shellfish and salmon, Rice, Almonds, Pecans, Peanuts, Lentils, Oats, Buckwheat, Alfalfa, Mushrooms, peas,zucchini, Soy, Sesame, Sunflower seeds, Coffee, Cane Sugar.

Spice Allergens: Allspice,Basil, Black Pepper, Cinnamon, Cumin, Dill, Mustard, Nutmeg, Paprika, Peppermint, Sage, Thyme

I can eat all fruits, most veggies, beef, and lamb. My only dairy sub is coconut. Most gluten free substitutes are out bc soy, rice, almond, buckwheat flours. I have yet to find any packaged foods that really work. Obviously eating out will be a nightmare.

I have been using all recipes app that lets you avoid certain ingredients. I would like advice on ingredient substitutions, experience you've had with substitutions, pitfalls, or and any easy assemble meals that might come to mind.

Garlic- shallots may work?
Bacon- fatty cut of beef sliced thin and fried? Need to look at liquid smoke ingredients
Eggs in recipe-chia seeds soaked in water?
Soy sauce-coconut aminos?
Dressing- apple cider vinegar with honey?
Breading-corn flour or masa? Coconut flour
Whipped cream-coconut whipped cream.
Buttermilk-coconut milk with apple cider vinegar
Avocado to replace sour cream
Potato Vodka
Champagne with yeast removed from processing

Thoughts on salsa, ketchup, steak sauce, and barbecue sauce recipes? Spices I can use bay leaves, cloves, curry, fennel, ginger, horseradish, marjoram, oregano,parsley, rosemary, and vanilla.

Some meals that will work:
Roast, carrots and potatoes
Beef smoked sausage(need to verify label) with potatoes and green beans
Beef and potato hash
Vegetable soups
Bean soups
Corn cereal with coconut milk
Salads

I will cross post this.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Salmon! I eat the hell out of salmon. I get the cheap frozen kind and cook it in the microwave in a (loosely) sealed container with sauced frozen veg thrown on top (green giant steamers), essentially steaming.the fish and cooking the sauce into it.
  • brilynn79
    brilynn79 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Salmon! I eat the hell out of salmon. I get the cheap frozen kind and cook it in the microwave in a (loosely) sealed container with sauced frozen veg thrown on top (green giant steamers), essentially steaming.the fish and cooking the sauce into it.

Thank you, I will look at the sauces to rule out any allergens. Thanks for your reply:)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    brilynn79 wrote: »

Thank you, I will look at the sauces to rule out any allergens. Thanks for your reply:)

That's just my lazy way. You can use any veg and add whatever you like to it.
  • ljr9150
    ljr9150 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Did you get put on anything like Repairvite?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    This is a pretty exhaustive list of concerns to discover 37 years in.

Were you physically sick most of your life?

Have you had a second opinion and confirmation from a mainstream doctor?
  • brilynn79
    edited January 2017
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    This is a pretty exhaustive list of concerns to discover 37 years in.

Were you physically sick most of your life?

Have you had a second opinion and confirmation from a mainstream doctor?

I have had GI issues for the past 5 years. I knew I was lactose intolerant, pork didn't sit well, and that gluten bothered me when I ate it. I failed elimination diets (lack of will power), so i decided to have allergy testing completed to know what I really had to give up. These are my results that came back with Igg/Iga antibodies. Thankfully, I do not have any life threatening allergies (Ige antibodies) and if I completely avoid for months, I can possibly reintroduce some of these foods and monitor for GI symptoms. I was tested by a mainstream provider.
  • brilynn79
    Options
    ljr9150 wrote: »
    Did you get put on anything like Repairvite?

No, I got my results day before Thanksgiving. Our plan was that I would do the best I could over holidays and vacation, just got back. I would take supplements to deal with nutritional deficiencies and then I would work on eliminating caustic foods starting tomorrow. I go back for visit tomorrow to make a comprehensive plan and check hemoglobin.

My sister was just diagnosed with a genetic mutation that cause B12 deficiency (among other things) so I most likely need to avoid any food fortified with folic acid and have my B 12 injections changed. I don't think at this poimt I am paying for the testing when I have to avoid these product for elimination anyway.

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    brilynn79 wrote: »
    I had some testing that revealed many intolerances and am going to start eliminating. I mostly rely on take out and prepared foods.

My list of foods/spices to avoid:
    Moderate/High Allergens: Dairy, Wheat/Gluten, Chicken, Sardines, Garlic, Walnuts, Yeast

Low level Allergens: Pork, Turkey, Duck, Eggs, oysters, Fish except shellfish and salmon, Rice, Almonds, Pecans, Peanuts, Lentils, Oats, Buckwheat, Alfalfa, Mushrooms, peas,zucchini, Soy, Sesame, Sunflower seeds, Coffee, Cane Sugar.

Spice Allergens: Allspice,Basil, Black Pepper, Cinnamon, Cumin, Dill, Mustard, Nutmeg, Paprika, Peppermint, Sage, Thyme

I can eat all fruits, most veggies, beef, and lamb. My only dairy sub is coconut. Most gluten free substitutes are out bc soy, rice, almond, buckwheat flours. I have yet to find any packaged foods that really work. Obviously eating out will be a nightmare.

I have been using all recipes app that lets you avoid certain ingredients. I would like advice on ingredient substitutions, experience you've had with substitutions, pitfalls, or and any easy assemble meals that might come to mind.

Garlic- shallots may work?
    Bacon- fatty cut of beef sliced thin and fried? Need to look at liquid smoke ingredients
    Eggs in recipe-chia seeds soaked in water?
    Dressing- apple cider vinegar with honey?
    Breading-corn flour or masa? Coconut flour
    Buttermilk-coconut milk with apple cider vinegar
    Avocado to replace sour cream
    Potato Vodka
    Champagne with yeast removed from processing

Thoughts on salsa, ketchup, steak sauce, and barbecue sauce recipes? Spices I can use bay leaves, cloves, curry, fennel, ginger, horseradish, marjoram, oregano,parsley, rosemary, and vanilla.

Some meals that will work:
    Roast, carrots and potatoes
    Beef smoked sausage(need to verify label) with potatoes and green beans
    Beef and potato hash
    Vegetable soups
    Bean soups
    Corn cereal with coconut milk
    Salads

I will cross post this.

Thanks in advance

Most soy and steak sauces are not gluten free. Be careful with labels
  • mmmred19
    mmmred19 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There is a Facebook group called EGID Recipe Group. Check it out they post recipes that are at least top 8 free, but you certainly could modify them as needed.

I joined after my own upper GI diagnosis last fall.
  • brilynn79
    Options
    mmmred19 wrote: »
    There is a Facebook group called EGID Recipe Group. Check it out they post recipes that are at least top 8 free, but you certainly could modify them as needed.

I joined after my own upper GI diagnosis last fall.

Thank you, I will check it out.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    It will be easiest to avoid everything on your Avoid/Allergens list if you start making everything from scratch from whole foods and can thus control the ingredients. Just make really simple meals - meat, starch, veg. Have fruit when you want something sweet.

A few thoughts on your subs:

Garlic- shallots may work? Just use onions. Flavor is not very different from shallots and they are cheaper and easier to peel.
    Bacon- fatty cut of beef sliced thin and fried? Need to look at liquid smoke ingredients Why? Because of the spices or potential gluten? What about brands like Coleman?
    Eggs in recipe-chia seeds soaked in water? Just skip recipes that call for eggs. Aren't we talking baked goods here? Since you have to avoid wheat as well, all this subbing would be dreadful.
    Dressing- apple cider vinegar with honey? You didn't mention you need to avoid oil, so AVC and oil. That's a very traditional salad dressing.
    Breading-corn flour or masa? Coconut flour Sure
    Buttermilk-coconut milk with apple cider vinegar. Again, is this for baked goods? Just skip for now.
    Avocado to replace sour cream Sure
    Potato Vodka Just skip booze for now.
    Champagne with yeast removed from processing Just skip booze for now.
  • brilynn79
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

A few thoughts on your subs:

Garlic- shallots may work? Just use onions. Flavor is not very different from shallots and they are cheaper and easier to peel.
    Bacon- fatty cut of beef sliced thin and fried? Need to look at liquid smoke ingredients Why? Because of the spices or potential gluten? What about brands like Coleman?
    Eggs in recipe-chia seeds soaked in water? Just skip recipes that call for eggs. Aren't we talking baked goods here? Since you have to avoid wheat as well, all this subbing would be dreadful.
    Dressing- apple cider vinegar with honey? You didn't mention you need to avoid oil, so AVC and oil. That's a very traditional salad dressing.
    Breading-corn flour or masa? Coconut flour Sure
    Buttermilk-coconut milk with apple cider vinegar. Again, is this for baked goods? Just skip for now.
    Avocado to replace sour cream Sure
    Potato Vodka Just skip booze for now.
    Champagne with yeast removed from processing Just skip booze for now.

Thank you for your detailed responses. Greatly appreciated!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    My pleasure. Good luck!