Typical meal plan for 1200 calorie diet.

Options
I have just started on my 1200 calorie diet. I need some ideas of what meals people eat on a 1200 calorie diet. Has your 1200 calorie diet worked for you?

Replies

• shelleyrhoads
    shelleyrhoads Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I do fine on 1200 cals but I eat back some of my exercise cals otherwise it would be
  • Brithicks
    Brithicks Posts: 148 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    My calorie goal is set at 1250 but I eat closer to 1550 or 1600 (half of my exercise calories).
    A typical day could look like:
    coffee with 1 tbs of califia better half
    1 brown rice cake topped with .5 tbs of nut butter and some smashed raspberries
    2 hard boiled eggs with some raw veggies and grapes or an orange
    one spicy chicken italian sausage with a cup of spaghetti squash and some marinara
    Taco salad with ground turkey, lettuce, grilled peppers and onion, half an avocado, salsa, and a tbs of plain greek yogurt with some plantain chips crumbled on top
    a glass of wine and a few cashews or almonds and a square of dark chocolate
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    When I was losing I tried to stay at 1200. My typical day was:

Breakfast: Greek yogurt and dry cereal for about 250 calories.

Lunch: Huuuuge salad with a ton of raw vegetables and low calorie dressing for about 250 calories.

Dinner: Grilled lean protein (fish, pork loin, etc), roasted veggies, and either rice/potatoes/quinoa. About 700 calories.

I would try to save room for a glass of wine or dessert but otherwise kept to no-calorie beverages (diet soda, unsweetened tea, black coffee, water).

I liked to have my big meal in the evening so this worked for me. But, everyone is different, so you might space out your calories differently.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    MFP gives me 1200 calories without exercise because of my height, weight and activity level without exercise. With exercise I eat between 1200-1600.
    Is 1200 calories necessary for you? It is the minimum recommended calories for women and might be a hard level to start out.
    If you are not short and sedentary you can likely eat more than 1200 calories and lose at a healthy rate. Put your information into MFP and choose a reasonable goal.
    If you are less than 50 lbs overweight set your goal to 1 lb a week. If you are less than 20 lbs overweight or not overweight set your goal to .5 lba week. With MFP you are supposed to log exercise and eat some of your exercise calories.
    If you still land at 1200 calories so be it.
    Look at eating leaner meats, beans or lentils, more vegetables, fruits. Go easy on cooking oils, dressings, condiments, creamer, sugar. Watch portion sizes of bread, rice, pasta, cheese, nuts and nut butters, desserts.

I don't follow a particular diet plan. I eat the same foods I always did just in appropriate portion sizes for my goal. I find planning meals and prelogging helpful to making sure I meet my goals.
    I eat a smaller breakfast and save more calories for later in the day.
    This is stuff I typically eat:
    Breakfast- Greek yogurt, granola bars, cereal with milk, sandwich, dinner leftovers, fruit, cottage cheese (about 200-300 calories)
    Lunch- sandwich, salad, or dinner leftovers (about 300-500 calories)
    Dinner- something different every night of the month. (about 500-600 calories) I have soup once a week usually.
    Snacks- things like fruit, chips, popcorn, pretzels, chocolate, cookies, granola bar, carrots, celery, broccoli, trail mix, deviled eggs, pickles, cottage cheese (about 100-300 calories)
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    my average is around 1200 feel free to follow me and view my diary :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: some kind of egg or egg and veg (under 200 cals)
    Snack: beef jerky
    Lunch: some kind of soup, stew, chili, curry, salad, stir fry (under 300 cals)
    Dinner: Same variations as lunch or a protein and a veggie (under 400 cals)
    Snack: depends on my calories for the day.
  • brewerfan13
    brewerfan13 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Breakfast - Oatmeal (100)
    Snack - Protein Shake w/water (100)
    Snack - Banana (120)
    Lunch - Easy Mac (230)
    Snack - Banana (120)
    Dinner - Easy Mac (230)
    Snack - Motts Fruit Snacks (80)

Total - 1180
  • th1nr
    th1nr Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi, I eat about 1300 per day, I hate cooking and cleaning/washing dishes, so I usually eat one big meal in the early afternoon (about 900 calories) and whenever else I'm hungry I'll munch on a banana, some yogurt, or chips or something. It's important to find a meal plan that works for you and works with your schedule!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have just started on my 1200 calorie diet. I need some ideas of what meals people eat on a 1200 calorie diet. Has your 1200 calorie diet worked for you?

1200 (before exercise) is the default minimum.....it's as low as you can go. So of course it will work (unless you are elderly...or 4'8"). It will absolutely work provided you measure (accurately) and log everything that goes in your mouth.

MFP (My Fitness Pal) gives you a 1200 calorie goal BEFORE exercise. So if you plan on doing exercise.....then eat more. Calorie burns are estimates so just eat back a % (50-75%). The reason for more calories; large deficits make it harder for your body to support existing lean muscle mass. For a lower body fat %......moderate paced weight loss.

I choose to eat more (see lean muscle mass above) but you pick a number you can live with for awhile.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Mine usually goes something like:

Breakfast: 100 calories (coffee with a little 2% milk)
    Lunch: under 500 calories (sandwich, salad, frozen chicken products, etc)
    Dinner: 600 calories (a variety of things, from chicken+sides to homemade tacos to pizza)
    Snacks: 0-100 calories (usually tea with no calorie sweetener)

And water non-stop throughout the day

It's worked for me once before to get to goal weight, and it's working again to finish losing the pregnancy/holiday gain. :)
  • lizzymay1990
    lizzymay1990 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the ideas. MFP gave me 1200 because of my height and activity level. I am 5ft0. So very short and not very active.
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Mine is set at 1280, my diary is open if you'd like to look. Sometimes I get crazy and eat around 1400 ha ha
  • lwilson413
    lwilson413 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the ideas. MFP gave me 1200 because of my height and activity level. I am 5ft0. So very short and not very active.
    I'm also 5'0 and a low activity level. MFP gave me 1200 calories as well. I think my diary is open to friends, so fee free to add me.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    sakuya3834 wrote: »
    I don't recommend eating 1200 calories, no matter how little weight you have left to lose or how inactive you are, if you are 26 years old. You can lose weight on a higher calorie goal, and it will be a much better experience.

When I was in my early 20's I lost using a 1000 calories a day plan. I was very healthy, and lost the weight.
    No issues at all. I still use 1000/day as my goal when I need to lose a few. 1200 a day and I don't lose - I maintain. Different strokes for different bodies. :)
  • Bekah7482
    Bekah7482 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I am on a 1200cal diet as well.

Breakfast- 1egg, 2 sausage patties and a slice of toast (300cals)
    Lunch- 1 can of tuna, 1tbsp of mayo, 16 wheat thins(1 serving) and a cheese stick (400 cals)
    Dinner- 4 ounces of chicken(usually buy a rotisserie chicken so I dont have to cook), .5 cup of rice pilaf, and a tomato, onion and cucumber salad. (428 cals)

If I am craving a night snack I will have a "fried" banana. (160cal)

I dont eat back my workout calories and I dont find myself hungry between meals.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    My diary is open and I eat 1200-1300 each day. A lot of boiled eggs, crisp bread crackers, veggies if all sorts, laughing cow cheese, rice, potatoes, chick fil a grilled sandwiches and superfood side, omelette with feta cheese, Progresso light soups, tomato soup, popcorn, apples, berries, oranges, yogurt
  • clbzmom
    clbzmom Posts: 3 Member
    Options

You and I are the same height and I have a sedentary job so I, too, have a 1200 limit. I try to avoid starchy and dense foods like pasta and potatoes, sweets, and processed food. Feel free to friend me so you can check out my diary.