lose weight and strength train???

Options
Is there any way that I can lose weight and successfully strength train at the same time? Minimum I would like to lose is 36lbs but that could change up to 64lbs. I just want to be nice and fit on my journey to my ugw

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    yes. eat in a deficit, and strength train...
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

Do this and eat sufficient protein (around 0.6g/lb of bodyweight).
  • sgallagherxo
    sgallagherxo Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't understand your tone with all the full stops but yes I understand that but I'm asking SUCCESSFULLY and that wasn't helpful as I know that you need to up the protein etc. Thanks.

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by successfully.... How do you think bodybuilders get lean to compete? They don't stop training for prep,thats for sure!

Weight training will help you maintain your muscle in a calorie deficit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I don't understand your tone with all the full stops but yes I understand that but I'm asking SUCCESSFULLY and that wasn't helpful as I know that you need to up the protein etc. Thanks.

what does 'successfully' mean to you? why don't you think you can lose weight and strength train at the same time?

and its written text, you're inferring tone, there is none.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    OP can you explain what you mean by 'successfully' ie. as in what? Building muscle? Or minimising lean body mass loss whilst losing weight? Thanks.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

You eat within your calorie budget and follow a progressive resistance program. That's really it. You should be eating sufficient protein no matter what and that protein goal is well within your overall calorie goal.
  • kelhea
    kelhea Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You can do it successfully, it will just take much longer then doing either just fat loss or just muscle gain. Eat in a deficiet but make sure most of your calories is protein, and do resistant training.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If your metric of success is adding strength (you haven't really made that clear) then yes, you can add a load of strength while losing weight. How much depends mainly on your start point and the effectiveness of your training plan.

If your idea of success is being the best you that you can be when you get to goal weight then yes, strength training is going to help.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Strength training while losing weight will give you more shape than just losing weight so I would call that a success. :)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What is your definition of successful? I think the advice given here was very helpful. If you didn't find it helpful maybe you have to be more specific in your question and responses, success means different things to different people