Help with protein/fat/carb ratios

Options
2014gp
2014gp Posts: 9 Member
edited January 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey wondering if anyone can help me out, I'm a bit confused. I've used IIFYM as well as reading quite a bit, and most of the advice has told me (male, endomorph) to go with something like:

35% protein/40% fat/25% carbs as a ratio to burn fat.

This seemed pretty simple, except I ALSO keep reading that 1g protein/lb of bodyweight is either "enough" or "too much" (0.83/lb was recommended by some study people keep quoting).

SO my issue is... at say..130lbs...using that ratio of 35/40/25 (Proein/Fat/Carbs).. I end up with:

142g protein, 72g fat, 101 carbs

Is this "too much" protein? (from what I've read, even 130g of protein is excessive... :S )

Just want to make sure I'm not wasting time/money, and that my diet is as close to optimal as possible. Any help or advice is appreciated

also... This 142g of protein doesn't even include exercise. Once I add in my 500 or so calories burned for a workout, MFP is telling me I need 191g of protein today.....That seems really high :S

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Are you at a normal weight for your heigth? 130 pounds doesn't sound like too much for a male. Body type... is nonsense.
    You burn fat through a consistent calorie deficit, not by any particular macro ratio.
    0.8 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight would most likely be adequate.
    "Too much" can mean that you can't utilize all of it, or dangerous for your health, or difficult to adhere to, or just unnecessarily expensive.
    Your protein need is basically the same from day to day. You can eat back your exercise calories in any form you prefer.
  • 2014gp
    Options
    Ya I'm short so 130 is pretty average, and I mentioned endomorph just to give an idea of my body composition. I should probably explain better, sorry. I've used MFP for a while so no confusion with deficits etc.

I understand what you mean by "You burn fat through a consistent calorie deficit, not by any particular macro ratio".... but the ratios are (supposed to be) guidelines for macro nutrients, not just caloric restriction.

Apparently certain people benefit from certain ratios, such as people with an "endomorph" aka short/stocky bodytype having good results from a lower carb and higher protein diet (due to low carbohydrate tolerance and a slow metabolic rate).

I'm interesting in trying this, but not understanding entirely.

The two suggestions I'm trying to take into account are:
    "ratio of 35%protein/25%carb%40%fat"
    and
    "protein should be approx 0.8gxlbs"

If I weigh 130, then 0.8x130=104 grams of protein

To keep the ratio of 35%protein/25%carb%40%fat" true, then the numbers have to be:

104 grams protein/53 grams of fat/74g carbs = 1190 calories (according to MFP)

1190 calories is SUPER low (isn't it?)...

The only way I could maintain a "low carb ratio" without pretty much starving with 1190 calories, is if I upped my protein way beyond the recommended 0.8g/lb.

If I apply the 0.8 rule to my current 1700 ish calories, thats around 25% protein...which seems too low according to almost everywhere.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You are just making it too complicated (I'm almost getting dizzy lol). Forget percentages. Calories is king. Get enough protein to gain/retain muscle. Sufficient fat for hormones and satiety. Overall diet composition for adherence. Body type is not part of this picture - at all.

1700 calories sounds a bit low if you are maintaining. 1500 is minimum adviced amounts for males when losing. 104 grams of protein will most likely be OK. Adjust if needed, based on experience and feedback from your body (satiety, performance etc).
  • 2014gp
    Options
    Hahah I know, far more confused that I should be.

1700 is supposed to be for burning, but not TOO quickly so I can retain muscle. I agree is seems low, but I'm short and only weigh 130 so anything closer to 2000 calories and I have to exercise a shitload to avoid gaining fat.

I'm just really confused because at the moment, the only number I know "for sure" is correct is 104g protein.

Other than that, i can't figure out how much fat/carbs I need to give me a healthy total calories.

People keep saying "ignore the ratios". I'm up for that, I just don't have anything else to go on, since pretty much every website or calculator uses percentages.

If I'm supposed to have 1700 calories, and 104g of that is protein...what amounts of fat/carbs should I be eating to have it all add up to 1700?

Appreciate the help
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I do IIFYM, but never take percentage ratios in to consideration.

I pick a protein amount, and a fat amount, then carbs make up the rest - I don't generally change protein much, regardless of whether I'm dieting or not,and fat changes as little as possible. Carbs are the biggest variable.
  • cremorna1
    cremorna1 Posts: 133 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm no expert, but have you tried this calculator? For me, it gives 40% protein & carbs (164 g of each) and 20% fat (I think 36 g). http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macronutrients_calculator.htm

I weigh 196 lbs, so 0.8*196 = 156, so, the numbers are pretty close.

So, maybe you were not using the "right" macro calculator?

Edit: I messed up the grams of fat before. Corrected now. Also, I for the macros I chose "fat loss".
  • cremorna1
    cremorna1 Posts: 133 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Good luck!
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    OP, what is your current goal? Recomp? Fatloss? Those calories seem very low.
    If you are consistent with your exercise, I have found that the easiest way to figure macros is to go by TDEE. I include my weekly exercise in this and get one set of macros to follow every day of the week, rather than trying to adjust daily because of exercise. You can go to the IIFYM website or any other TDEE calculator to get a pretty good idea of what your overall calories should be.
    If you know your TDEE, you can figure the macros yourself rather than using the %'s. I usually use 1g protein per pound of lean mass, around 25% of calories from fat, and the rest can be carbs.
    Mine average around 30p/30f/40c and I'm currently cutting on 2000 calories, but if I'm going to maintain weight and eat more, that will change to higher carbs and fat because I don't need to be eating more protein than 1g/lb.
    OR, if you like figuring daily based on exercise, set MFP to the protein goal you want, and change your settings so all your exercise calories get added to fats/carbs and not protein.