What does 144 Pounds Look Like?

Options
An excellent article a friend pointed me towards, thought I would share. The pictures make the story.

http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fitness/144lbs-why-female-athletes-should-toss-the-scale-and-get-a-new-perspective
It was the summer of 1987. I was twelve, we had just moved to a new town, and I was about to start eighth grade. I was babysitting for a new neighbor and they had a scale in their bathroom. We never had a scale at home. The only time I weighed myself was when the teachers weighed us each quarter in school, and then we all ran out to the playground after to compare numbers and brag about who weighed the least.

I stepped on the scale and waited for the fancy digital numbers to pop up.

“103”

I was crushed. It was the first time I’d ever weighed over a hundred pounds. That was it. I was fat, ugly, and I’d never be considered cool at my new school. There was no way the popular girls weighed over a hundred pounds. No way.

Recently I was working out at the gym with my fiancé and a friend of ours. We were watching my fiancé do some warm-up glute bridges and he was using 135lbs. My friend said, “You should just sit on him.” I looked at the bar and said, “Well, it’s almost about right.” He said, “135? Really?” And I replied, “Well, 144 as of this morning.”

“Nice!” he replied and put up his hand to high-five me.

I’ve never had someone high-five me for weighing over 140lbs before. I just had to smile. To me this was a validating moment. A moment that confirmed I’m hanging out with the right people. People who think it’s awesome to weigh more, because weighing more means having more muscle.

“You wouldn’t ever guess it,” he continued. “It’s all in the legs. Yeah!”

There's more but, like I said, the pictures really make the article.

Replies