TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Wendy's baked potato (plain) topped with an order of chili

Jimmy John's Turkey - light mayo
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Where can I go for lunch and what can I get? I want to stay under 500 calories for lunch, and I have approx 30 minutes.

What are your options? I'd hate to suggest something that you don't like or isn't available in your area.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Google?!?!

Looks like OP might be new to this, so it's understandable that she may be confused/uncertain about what to eat at a restaurant.
    OKAY.

OP:
    Where do you live? What type of food do you want?
    Do you have any dietary restrictions?

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Google?!?!

But it's so much quicker and easier to post your question on a message board and wait for people to respond.

Wait...

Maybe not.

Really could do with the attitude:) this is a discussion post, meant to start a conversation about what other people do for healthy fast food alternatives. No need for trolls thanks.

Apologies for my dry sense of humor. I did offer useful advice upthread.
    I appreciated it.
  • ColaCabana79
    ColaCabana79 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There's an app called Healthy Out that tells you healthy meals at restaurants near you. I love it.
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous comments re: wendy's baked potato with chilli, or half salads, I also really enjoy a cheeseburger without the bun, cut up and put atop a side salad with a little bit of ranch dressing. or the salads from subway with red wine vinegar for dressing.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    If you go to Subway, start with the wheat flatbread, and load it up with a lot of vegetables, go light on the dressing. Do not believe that because you order a salad that it is less calories, make sure you check the nutritional information.

Flatbread has more calories than their normal bread
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Wendys grilled chicken sandwich, ChickfilA grilled chicken sandwich, Wendys half apple pecan chicken salad....wendys chili (small). Can you see where I eat fast food? Lol
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    There's an app called Healthy Out that tells you healthy meals at restaurants near you. I love it.

I didn't know about this. Thanks for sharing!
  • cruisin99
    cruisin99 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Go to subway and have a salad, no cheese.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    cruisin99 wrote: »
    Go to subway and have a salad, no cheese.

You can add cheese and still come in under 500 calories, depending on what you get. I typically get a chicken bacon salad with a pkt of the fat free dressing they have and add cheese along with the veggies :)
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I get an Oven Roasted Chicken sub from Subway: white bread (no flatbread), lettuce, carrot, cheese (and the chicken of course). 321 calories.

I usually get a Diet Coke with it too which makes me feel fuller.
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Most places have all their nutrition online so do a bit of a look around and see what you can see! Subway do some nice salads.
  • TMW2119
    TMW2119 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    McDonalds: Artisan Grilled Chicken sandwich- no mayo, no top bun. Get a hot mustard sauce to dip it in.

Wendy's: 1 baked potato, 1 pack of ketchup. Tonight I discovered if you sprinkle a little Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle seasoning in the potato and eat it with a little ketchup it tastes like potato wedges.
  • TMW2119
    TMW2119 Posts: 178 Member
    Options

You are my hero! I had no idea this app existed. I've been researching restaurants to figure out what the best choices are. This just made my life a lot easier. Thanks for sharing!
  • purebredpolly
    purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Burger King- Veggie whopper no cheese, no mayo, ask them to pile on the veggies. Add a salad, and light dressing.

Wendy's- they will make you a veggie sandwich like above. You can add salad, and light dressing.

McDonald's- ask for a sesame seed bun with lettuce, tomatoes, red onions, pickles, ketchup, mustard. You can add salad with light dressing.

The yogurt parfait from McDonald's is low calorie, some places have fruit salads that are low calorie too. Burger King and McDonald's has low calorie cones. It's been mentioned, but Wendy's has a great baked potato. Getting cracked eggs from McDonald's is also a stellar idea, and consider oatmeal for the side instead of sausages for e,tea staying power. I believe all places offer apple sxlices, and McDonald's has halo oranges too. It's not easy navigating fast food places, but you can find reasonably healthy food, and have low calorie choices from fast food joints if you take the time to study their nutritional menus. So as soon as you have the chance, pull up some menus, with nutritional stats, and start combing through your choices.