Steadily Eating Too Much Protein

Options
2»

Replies

• hellobaconplease
    hellobaconplease Posts: 108 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Gosh that's nothing to worry about at all. I aim for 120g and usumy go way over. Love protein!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    It's never been demonstrated that too much protein can damage the kidneys or liver. People with pre-existing kidney problems should control their intake but only because kidney disease causes problems with processing protein. That doesn't mean that protein will cause kidney disease though. Sort of like how people with peanut allergies should avoid peanuts but peanuts won't cause you to become allergic if you're not already.

Now it is possible that there is an amount of protein that could lead to health problems if consumed on a regular basis but we've not discovered that level yet (mainly because if there is such a threshold it's likely over the 400 grams per day mark and ain't nobody eating that much protein on the regular).
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    When using MFP numbers I think of protein as an absolute minimum to try and hit rather than a maximum.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    What's your goal and how many grams are you actually eating?

Over consumption issues with protein are only over long exposure and with MASSIVE amounts. Like, insane amounts. And even then, you can offset it lots by drinking water.

My daily goal is 73 and most days I am going over by 5-15 grams at least.

That is nowhere near too much. I eat more than that just during breakfast.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You can eat up to 1 gram per pound of body weight and still be fine. Most people eat too little protein and if you are active or lift weights you need more anyways. I like to eat about 0.6 grams per pound of body weight, which for me is almost 100 grams of protein per day (I'm female, age 35, 5'4", sedentary job but 3 to 5 hours exercise per week of more including weight lifting)