Recomp vs Bulk and Cut

Options
After about a 6 month break due to school, today I am finally getting to start back at the gym. I'm at the point where I am at my goal weight but still have fat to burn and muscle to gain. I've never really done a "bulk and cut" or a recomp before, so I was wondering if anyone had any advice on which would be more beneficial? I've done some research on them, but would like feedback if possible from those who have done either of these (or both).

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    This is a great article that kind of takes you through both options.

https://bretcontreras.com/to-bulk-and-cut-or-not/

However, as much as I love and follow Bret, I have chosen to bulk/cut VS recomp which I think is the best option for ME. Why? I am very lean, not much fat to lose, I want to make significantly gains, I can mentally handle fat gain no problem. I am also too impatient for recomp. Those are some things to consider.

In your case, if you have fat to lose, I would probably lean more to recomp OR you can cut down (depending on your BF%) then start a bulk. Choice is yours.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

However, as much as I love and follow Bret, I have chosen to bulk/cut VS recomp which I think is the best option for ME. Why? I am very lean, not much fat to lose, I want to make significantly gains, I can mentally handle fat gain no problem. I am also too impatient for recomp. Those are some things to consider.

In your case, if you have fat to lose, I would probably lean more to recomp OR you can cut down (depending on your BF%) then start a bulk. Choice is yours.

@sardelsa - Wasn't it you who stated you had trouble gaining though? I seem to remember joking with you about it...but the reason I bring that up is to point out to the OP that if she chooses bulk/cut, her experience might be much different than yours.

I have zero problems putting on weight :# and if she's the same, that's something she will really want to keep tabs on.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Unless you have advanced body composition goals I think bulk/cut cycles are a bit pointless.
    There's even people with very advanced goals that only recomp.
    It's become dreadfully fashionable but IMHO for the vast majority of people it's inappropriate.

For relative beginners and also old farts like me with too many years and too many training years of training under their belt any potential benefits of cut/bulk cycles are even smaller.
    Beginners can make good and rapid progress without a calorie surplus and older people like me only have the potential for slow growth, any surplus is likely to end up as fat.

There's a group in the middle - say for argument's sake - three solid years of training under their belt and progress is slowing where bulking may well help speed the rate of progress.

What is your situation OP?
    Training experience, training routine etc.

(PS- have you read or skimmed the recomp threads in this forum?)
  • rainingribbons
    rainingribbons Posts: 1,051 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Thank you all for your input! For me, I haven't been part of a gym for very long and the routine I used when I worked out over the summer (which was my first attempt at the gym) wasn't very good. Now I'm planning on trying out 2 days a week on upper body and 2 days a week on lower body (with Weds/weekends off) until I'm a bit more comfortable and then up it. With my lack of experience I think it may be better to try a recomp instead and do a bit more research on bulking/cutting before I try any of that.
    My main goal is to slim down to where I used to be a few years ago (though at my slimmest I was also working a fast paced job instead of the office job I'm at now).
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    Thank you all for your input! For me, I haven't been part of a gym for very long and the routine I used when I worked out over the summer (which was my first attempt at the gym) wasn't very good. Now I'm planning on trying out 2 days a week on upper body and 2 days a week on lower body (with Weds/weekends off) until I'm a bit more comfortable and then up it. With my lack of experience I think it may be better to try a recomp instead and do a bit more research on bulking/cutting before I try any of that.
    My main goal is to slim down to where I used to be a few years ago (though at my slimmest I was also working a fast paced job instead of the office job I'm at now).

May I ask what your height/weight is? Your pic in your avatar gives the impression of being slim already.
  • rainingribbons
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm currently between 5'10"-5'11". I haven't weight myself in a while (plan on doing it this afternoon though on the gym scale) but I usually fluctuate between 140-145. At my slimmest I was between 135-140, but that was without much muscle.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    IMO, bulking and cutting really aren't necessary for the vast majority of people...the only people I know who do them are either physique competitors or body builders or people who want that type of physique. The vast majority of people will do just fine with a "recomp" which to me is basically a bi-product of quality diet and training and you ultimately get that desired fitness physique.

In particular I wouldn't recommend a bulk/cut for inexperienced individuals...it's a fairly advanced way to go about things.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

is this upper/lower spilt a structured program, or did you design it yourself?

Do you know what your current body fat % is?
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    I'm currently between 5'10"-5'11". I haven't weight myself in a while (plan on doing it this afternoon though on the gym scale) but I usually fluctuate between 140-145. At my slimmest I was between 135-130, but that was without much muscle.

I'd personally go recomp. Granted I'm "newer" at this too, but you're literally exactly my daughters size, and recomp would be perfect for her.
  • rainingribbons
    Options
    It's not structured, no. Usually I do one or two machines targeted towards each muscle group (after I build up some strength I hope to move to free weights). Not one right after the other though, I try to cycle it by doing each muscle group once and then going back and doing them again. And I have no idea my percentage. To be honest I'm not entirely sure how to find out either.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's not structured, no. Usually I do one or two machines targeted towards each muscle group (after I build up some strength I hope to move to free weights). Not one right after the other though, I try to cycle it by doing each muscle group once and then going back and doing them again. And I have no idea my percentage. To be honest I'm not entirely sure how to find out either.

You're going to have a lot more efficient success working a structured program and you don't have to wait until you build up strength to use free weights. Strong Curves is a good place to start...or New Rules.
  • rainingribbons
    Options
    I'll take a look at those, thanks!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »

@sardelsa - Wasn't it you who stated you had trouble gaining though? I seem to remember joking with you about it...but the reason I bring that up is to point out to the OP that if she chooses bulk/cut, her experience might be much different than yours.

I have zero problems putting on weight :# and if she's the same, that's something she will really want to keep tabs on.

Well I am a bit of a special case if you will, since I am trying to bulk while breastfeeding so it definitely makes things a bit tougher. But in the end, ya I wouldn't recommend a bulk to someone who isn't comfortable with gaining fat and really just has reasonable composition goals. Recomp would probably work for me, but in the end I actually want to have a heavier maintenance weight, so clearly maintaining wouldn't take me there.

• Cylphin60
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »

Well I am a bit of a special case if you will, since I am trying to bulk while breastfeeding so it definitely makes things a bit tougher. But in the end, ya I wouldn't recommend a bulk to someone who isn't comfortable with gaining fat and really just has reasonable composition goals. Recomp would probably work for me, but in the end I actually want to have a heavier maintenance weight, so clearly maintaining wouldn't take me there.
    Gotcha - thanks
  • rainingribbons
    Options
    In regards to the question earlier about my BMI range, I found a calculator online that determined approximately 20.2. Is this what I /should/ be at, given my height and weight? or approximately what I am at, given I don't currently have much in muscle?
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    That sounds right for your bmi, and tells you you're at a good weight for your height. What I would do if I were you is look up a good beginner strength training program....learn how to do the lifts properly, eat at maintenance and make sure to get all your protein daily. Keep at it and you'll start seeing some nice changes. :wink:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    That sounds right for your bmi, and tells you you're at a good weight for your height. What I would do if I were you is look up a good beginner strength training program....learn how to do the lifts properly, eat at maintenance and make sure to get all your protein daily. Keep at it and you'll start seeing some nice changes. :wink:

^^^ Good advice ^^^
    Take progress pictures and measurements too.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

You're going to have a lot more efficient success working a structured program and you don't have to wait until you build up strength to use free weights. Strong Curves is a good place to start...or New Rules.

this ..

i would add in all pro beginner routine as well ..

you want a program built around compound movements...not machines..
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Personally I am impatient and if I want to be leaner, I want to be leaner yesterday so would cut down first.

Whatever you do you should start a structured lifting programme. Once you're as lean as you want then you can add some calories back in to recomp.