calorie goal changed on its own ..Help

Options
design100
design100 Posts: 2 Member
edited January 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi
I have been using this app for a bit so I'm new to this..My calories went from 1520 to 1490...I didn't change it..App automatically changed ..Is that normal?? Also when I go on line and check other references they say I should be at 1200 cal.to lose 1 lb a week...
What do I do???
Anne

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Did you happen to update your current weight on the mobile app at Goals, instead of at Progress? That would recalculate your Goals based on your current weight, which might have resulted in the change in Calories.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Or if you added in exercise to your daily log, that will alter your calories.
    If that is the case, I recommend just picking a number (that allows u to reach your goals) and sticking with it, regardless of what MFP does.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I agree with @CyberTone, if you update your goals on the app, it'll re-calculate automatically using MFP's formulas. Either try running MFP's wizard again, or manually set your goals (you will need to do this every time you update your weight in MFP's app). If, however, you go to a standard web browser on a PC, and log into myfitnesspal.com and click Check-In to update your weight it won't mess with your goals. Dunno why they tied that to the calorie goals in the app, but they did.

Keep in mind, you should be updating/recalculating your calorie goals after every 5+ lbs lost. Otherwise you'll end up stalling out at some point. It takes less calories just being alive when you weigh less, this is why the calorie goals go down as you lose weight.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Do you have a fitbit or something like it with the negative calories checked? If you haven't moved at all for the day, it may adjust your calories by saying you did negative exercise which will in turn lower the calories for the day.
  • mgmalek
    mgmalek Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you lose a certain amount of weight, mfp will automatically change your Calorie goal. If you keep eating the same amount, you plateau. I suggest you just go with the number of calories they give you. That way, you're more likely to stick with your Diet. I'm on 1200 calories now but started with 1400.i rarely weigh myself but I know it's working. Best of luck :)
  • frantim528
    frantim528 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Mine changes back and forth between 1570 and 2020. My calculated goal without exercise is 1570. This is MFP giving me a 500 calorie deficit. If I exercise and end up not eating enough the next day MFP has my goal at 2020. this is built in to keep you from going into starvation mode. I found the answer in the FAQ section.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    frantim528 wrote: »
    Mine changes back and forth between 1570 and 2020. My calculated goal without exercise is 1570. This is MFP giving me a 500 calorie deficit. If I exercise and end up not eating enough the next day MFP has my goal at 2020. this is built in to keep you from going into starvation mode. I found the answer in the FAQ section.

No. MFP will not change your Goal the next day. If you log Cardiovascular Exercise for a day, that day's goal will be increased. That one day increase will have no effect on the next day's goal.

Also, the concept of "starvation mode" in the context of a reasonable Calorie deficit is a myth.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/