It's only week 2, I can't be stalled! What?

Options
So my plan was to net about 1150 calories after exercise. So on average I often eat about 1400 to 1500 calories, some days more. I have only been at this regime for 2 weeks. I wasn't able to exercise for months at home because I had a super weird roommate and wasn't able to exercise at home, it felt uncomfortable. Now I can exercise at home, yay. I also ate bad more than usual, like 2 or 3 times a week instead of once. So I gained like 30 lbs in a year. So I have a vacation on February 26. I had about 8 weeks from Jan 1 to Jumpstart losing weight/fat and slimming down. I lost 5 lbs fast but haven't lost more in the last a few days. I'm pretty sure it's water weight from hormones, those monthly "fluctuations" you know. I've only been at it for 2 weeks. I don't yo-yo diet and I know that when I was younger I would build muscle fast. I row. I will not run, I can't do an elliptical. I have a heart arrhythmia that I had cardiac ablation for so I can really only do certain exercises. But now that I'm eating right and exercising, I should be losing like 2 lbs a week... just seems odd that I haven't lost any since Friday. I do want to shock my system into losing weight and then cut back and adopt a healthier lifestyle and slower weight loss and maintenance when I get to the vacation

Replies

• KLHN1986
    KLHN1986 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Also I'm 30 and about 5'7" my family is Scottish and German so we do have "big" bones... barrel chest, wide shoulders etc etc... very sturdy women.
  • BonnieDundee78
    BonnieDundee78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Be patient. It's probably a bit of water, and soon you'll get a whoosh. :)
  • KLHN1986
    Options
    Historically I do get that "whoosh" suddenly, after a realtively lengthy leriod of activity and diet (weeks)... I just thought I would still be seeing steady results during this round because I am being so methodical and stringent. I didn't think I would already be in a "plateau" phase and trying to brake through where my body wants to be already. I really really really want to be like a size US 8 / 10 by Feb 26. I'm like a 12/14 US. I only have about 12lbs of fat to lose by Feb 26 and I will be where I want. I have 52lbs of fat and 27% body fat. I have DD's and I really hope I can keep those as I lose weight! Losing 12lbs should put me at about 24% body fat. I want curves and less cellulite and less tummy. I haven't done yoga in like 5 days so I wonder if that would effect how I lose weight? I upper my cardio and did a little less yoga.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your expectations are too high.

You also mention exercise, but don't mention anything about calorie intake.
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Just keep at what you're doing, it takes a while to see results. You are losing 2lbs a week...2.5 actually! That's great! Your body is adjusting and you need patience and trust in the system! If there are exercises you can't do, it's no big deal. There is no right way to lose weight...just do what you can, consume less calories than you burn over the long run, and the weight will come off. Rowing is one of my favorite exercises; I wish I had access to a machine like I did in school, but I make do with other things.

I find that it's best for me to weigh every day (under the same circumstances) and log every result, up or down. I see a general trend that way, higher before my period and around ovulation, super low the week after ovulation. If I had takeout, I'll see a spike a day or two afterward. As long as I've lost weight from month to month, that's all that matters! But everyone is different...sometimes it can be a couple of weeks of no/minor losses, there can be a huge whoosh and several pounds will come off seemingly overnight!

Stick with it, and have a great vacation!

Edit: You're mentioning "lbs of fat" a lot. Just so you know, as you lose weight, you will lose both fat and lean body mass...there is no getting around this. You can decrease the amount of LBM lost by eating proper amounts of protein and performing strength exercises as you lose. But you will never just lose fat. I don't want you to have super high expectations on this. Plus, how do you measure BF%? Some methods (like scales) can vary wildly (+/-5% or so), so BF% should really just be considered an estimate.
  • KLHN1986
    Options
    The scale that does measure fat I believe is accurate. It's from weight watchers. It knew when I ate a cheese burger that I gained about 1.2lbs of fat after eating the burger (in my gut!)...! Motivation not to eat the burger! I ate half for dinner and the other half the next day for lunch. I am trying to minimize LBM loss by exercising with resistance on the rowing machine, it uses a piston instead of a fly wheel and I try to get about 100+ grams protein per day. I usually have a protein shake (plant based) at breakfast, snacks (protein bar, Greek yogurt etc), lunch and dinner is usually chicken or salmon (steak once a week as as treat) and like 4 servings of "green" veggies roughly 2 servings of 2 different veggies. (spinach, sugar snap peas, broccoli, cauliflower etc). I have actually done body building on and off in the last 15 years. I often have good results from increased protein intake. Total weight loss I probably need to lose about 40-ish lbs... I am not terribly focused on weight loss so much as I am about physique. I would guess that for my size about 52lbs of fat on my body is accurate. I am super dense, in terms of body composition. Usually when I go on a weight loss regime, I put the efforts in place 1 by 1 instead of making such a radical change in diet and exercise. In terms of "plateau" I know women when we have certain mile stones, our body gets ready for those life stages. So I'm wondering if the 45 inch butt and the DD tatas and the small cushion of fat on my body really is stubborn biology that doesn't want to give in... there seems to be certain weights that my body likes to maintain and doesn't really stay "in between"
  • KLHN1986
    Options
    I know I am putting the cart before the horse here... but my husband said some pretty mean spirited stuff about my weight. He is much heavier than I am so I want to show him up and look great for our vacation!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    No you did not gain 1.2 lbs of fat after eating one burger.

I was trying to figure out how big that burger was :open_mouth:
  • KLHN1986
    Options
    "In the gut" as in the burger being digested in my intestines. It is sensitive enough to weigh food that I've eaten that is high in fat. I totally believe a burger from 5 guys as well as eggs and other fatty foods, totaled 1.2lbs inside my intestines and had not yet been "passed." So I am saying the weight it measured was in my digestive tract and not actually body weight. I have a dismotility in my intestines from a birth defect.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    KLHN1986 wrote: »
    The scale that does measure fat I believe is accurate. It's from weight watchers.

Your Weight Watchers scale uses bioelectrical impedance to measure body fat. This is a VERY inaccurate way to measure body fat. You're better off disregarding that data from your scale entirely.

This.
    KLHN1986 wrote: »
    "In the gut" as in the burger being digested in my intestines. It is sensitive enough to weigh food that I've eaten that is high in fat. I totally believe a burger from 5 guys as well as eggs and other fatty foods, totaled 1.2lbs inside my intestines and had not yet been "passed." So I am saying the weight it measured was in my digestive tract and not actually body weight. I have a dismotility in my intestines from a birth defect.

Unless you bought a scale in the thousands of dollars, it is not that accurate.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    A big initial loss will mask your actual real losses, so if some of your initial "loss" was water and some was fat loss, perhaps in week 2, you gained some water weight and lost some more fat, creating the appearance of no change?

Or maybe not.

It's too complicated to be linear. There's too much going on and too much that affects scale measurements. Relax and don't freak out over small differences (or the lack thereof) when you're only 2 weeks in.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Your scale cannot accurately measure body fat...do the math
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    OP you need to regroup, you're all over the place. You answered your own question in the title, no weight loss in 2 weeks is not a plateau, 4-6 weeks with no loss is though, and this usually always comes down to incorrect logging. Your weight watchers scale may be accurate for weight, but forget about the body fat info it gives you, as these type of scales can not measure this properly or accurately.

Weigh yourself first thing in the morning, before eating and drinking anything and after the loo.

^^^this

There is no need to weigh yourself so much, OP. It serves no purpose other than causing you to obsess. Weigh once daily, at the same time, under the same conditions (clothing or not, eaten or not, etc...) for the most accurate gauge, and forget about the body fat part. It will not be very accurate.
    Next step...RELAX. you didn't gain it in a day and you won't lose it in a day. Also, with 12 lbs to lose, it is highly unlikely that you'll continue losing 2 lbs/week. You'd have to have a really high calorie deficit for that, depending on what your starting weight is.
    Like everyone else said, weight loss isn't linear, so you aren't likely going to see losses every week like clockwork on the scale.
    Your best option..set your goal to 1 lb per week, eat the amount MFP gives you (and not under it), and see where you wind up. Having a deadline for weight loss usually results in disappointment, rather than celebrating the hard work you've done so far.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I urge you not to weigh every day, it will make you crazy.
    Just log your food and exercise, and maybe up your water intake.