13»

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    HappyGrape wrote: »
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Weighed food and logged for a year, lost 70 pounds. Started "intuitive" eating, gained 70 pounds. Weighing and logging down 70 pounds again. Dont be me. Find what works and stick with it.

I love the answer intuitive eating have to everything. If you can't manage to be slim by intuitive eating, you just aren't slim!

some people get so judgmental to calorie counting but many long term maintainers do either count, or did count and have great calorie awareness.

when I regained weight I stopped counting for year and half, and gained about 30 pounds. To gain this, all you need to do is eat an extra banana and walk 20 minutes less a day. That's all! People complain that calorie counting led them to go crazy when they are off diet but never happened to me. I still ate healthy mostly, just my life was crazy busy and I had no time or thought for exercise and I stopped counting.

I agree - if you find something that works for you stick with it. Ignore what others say, if it suits you and you find it manageable to do - do it

That's straight out of the size acceptance movement (weirdo radical arm) playbook. It cracks me up every time. Hilarious reasoning. No, it can't possibly be that you're confusing craving with actual hunger now, could it?

I think what they are missing is activity. Intuitive eating works fine if you are at a healthy weight and you are physically active. The problem is that most of us don't have physical activity built into out day. We drive our cars to work, sit at a desk all day, and then sit in front of a television at night while someone else delivers food to our door. Things would be very different if we grew our own food, milked our own cows, walked or rode bicycles to work.

so you are saying that being fat is an invention of the industrial revolution...I don't think so.

You can be as active as you want but if you over eat you will get fat.

OP I am here because it works...I want to get to a point where I can get away from the logging but will I get there?????

Maybe...if I am iwlling to put in the work to "notice" things like serving size in a visual manner as opposed to a weight on a scale.

This is a process that - as you know - can take a long time to get really good and consistent at.

When I first started weighing my food, it was quite sad how awful I was at guessing what something would weigh before I'd actually plunk it on the scale. Having done it now for two years, when I do guess, I'm usually within a few grams either way of what the food ends up actually weighing. But this, for me, only works well with things I've weighed many times before. I have developed an "eye" for these.

But I still have a hard time accurately guesstimating foods I don't eat that often, or those that can vary greatly between one or another, like chicken breasts, for example.

So for me, it's just easier to continue weighing everything. It only takes a second and guarantees that my logging remains as accurate as possible. :)
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I am actually really interested in this discussion. I believe that both can be achieved (calorie counting and intuitive eating).

For someone like me, that has over 100 pounds to lose, I clearly need something to help me gauge my intake (calorie counting) however, I also struggle with the diet->binge->guilt/beat myself up cycle. So, I am attempting (with the help of a therapist) to do both.

I think intuitive eating and the concepts behind it can be helpful to someone that has disordered eating and needs to re-calibrate healthy eating habits as it pertains emotional/psychological health. But, I also believe intuitive eating can be a slippery slope that can be guided by calorie counting.

I know the "rules" of intuitive eating is no restrictions, but if I don't restrict calories to a degree, I can easily validate eating a whole medium pizza from Donato's followed by a pint of Ben & Jerry's.....because...hunger.

My goal is to take the benefits of both calorie counting and mindful/intuitive eating to find a combination that works for me. Because....cake happens.