Needing to lose 136 pounds, any tips?

Options
2»

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Generally, I know where my weak spots are (eating out, for example) and try to plan ahead. It can be as simple as asking myself on Hannukah, "How many calories are there in a jelly donut anyway? 270? Okay. What will it take for me to not feel deprived and not go off-program? Can I stop with 1/2? Yes? Okay. Now journal it BEFORE I eat." And then, going off knowing that I can have a half a jelly donut, it will taste good, and I have no reason to feel guilty over it because I'm actually still within my daily allotment.

(As opposed to before, when my internal monologue was more along the lines of "Oooh. You ate a donut? Might as well consider the day a write-off now. Have another while you're at it.")

I do find that tracking what I'm going to eat before I eat it helps me stay on-track better.

Also, I seldom eat-back the calories I burn through exercise. I think of them as a cushion in case I guesstimated wrong when I tracked something. (There are a LOT of different totals for vegetable soup, for example. And if it's something I didn't make myself, all I can really do is look at what seems to be close and hope.)
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I have lost 100+. I will admit for the first year I was strictly on a prepackaged meal plan. I still use the food, but I now eat "regular food" the majority of the time. I make sure I get my protein in, more than anything else. I usually get enough fiber from the foods that I eat. I do snack. I aim to eat every 3 hours at least.
    If you are new and not used to having structure I found that planning out and logging my meals for the day really helps. 2 years later, I pretty much know what I can eat to fall within my calorie and nutrient goals. I make sure I have a fruit and veggies everyday. As far as protein, I eat yogurt, chicken, and eggs most days. Yogurt and chicken everyday.
    There are a lot of snacks that are good and not necessarily high in calories. I also have popcorn just about everyday.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste is another good website for meal/recipe ideas. She often posts her weekly menus that she draws up to give you an idea how to preplan. She's on Facebook as well. Her recipes are easily adaptable if you don't like an ingredient here or there or just want to switch something out. I make a lot of her ground beef/ground turkey dishes using vegetarian substitutes or lentils, for example.

My best advice to you is to stick around the forums and read as much as you can, so you can learn how to do this in a sustainable way. Don't expect to get all this right from the outset.

Weight management will be a lifelong endeavor for you, because once you lose it, you're going to have to maintain that loss. So, it's okay for there to be a learning curve while you settle in, collect recipes and tips, and take on board the knowledge of how what you'll be doing actually works. You'll discover the pitfalls you might face, the strategies other people have used to conquer them, and you'll less overwhelmed by everything.

For now, just set small goals, like buying a food scale, and getting the hang of accurate tracking (which includes selecting accurate data base entries -- this can be something of a minefield, always verify them with the USDA website). That will be KEY in your weight loss efforts. Once you have that down, decide on your next step.
  • cpurpero
    cpurpero Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Generally, I know where my weak spots are (eating out, for example) and try to plan ahead. It can be as simple as asking myself on Hannukah, "How many calories are there in a jelly donut anyway? 270? Okay. What will it take for me to not feel deprived and not go off-program? Can I stop with 1/2? Yes? Okay. Now journal it BEFORE I eat." And then, going off knowing that I can have a half a jelly donut, it will taste good, and I have no reason to feel guilty over it because I'm actually still within my daily allotment.

(As opposed to before, when my internal monologue was more along the lines of "Oooh. You ate a donut? Might as well consider the day a write-off now. Have another while you're at it.")

I do find that tracking what I'm going to eat before I eat it helps me stay on-track better.

Also, I seldom eat-back the calories I burn through exercise. I think of them as a cushion in case I guesstimated wrong when I tracked something. (There are a LOT of different totals for vegetable soup, for example. And if it's something I didn't make myself, all I can really do is look at what seems to be close and hope.)

That's good advice. I am very good at writing off the day. Then it spirals out of control and a month is gone before I know it.

• kkress92
    kkress92 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I second Pinterest. You can search for healthy recipe ideas and find charts that list high protein foods. You're on your way!
  • msbcz5
    msbcz5 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just got back on my health im doing a sort of primal diet where I eat mainly veggies and some type of lean protein and I can tell you im not hungry! I dont really count to much on calories because fresh veggies are very low in calories but feel you up!! Snack often and if you go out to eat just tell the waitor to only put half on the plate and put the rest away!
  • dizzysarah
    dizzysarah Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I need to lose about the same but I'm going to aim for 100 and see how I go from there.

Food wise I have been eating lean meat all weighed out and cooked without oil, plenty of seasoning (all calories are logged) I try to fill up on meals with meat and veggies and a bit of rice maybe or cous cous or potato, that way I can still have my treats at night and that's how I like to use my calories. For me, a life with no chocolate is no life :)

• Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    dmccl12....yes portion control Thats about it in a nutshell. I only buy the prepackaged nuts now, lol as if I have the can I keep picking handpicking and before you know it is half empty. I am so bad at portion control. But I am 65 I am eating pre packaged meals 5 days a week and have lost 50 lbs since Sept. I still have another 27 lbs to go, I am seeing the light.
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advise here and elsewhere on the forums, but make it simple, do not think about losing 136lb. Think about losing 1lb, move more, eat less, lose that pound, then onto the next pound.

Good luck
  • timjmartin23
    timjmartin23 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm on a similar journey, I am going to lose another 100 lbs this year, already lost 24lbs since I started with a PT in mid November.

If I can share what I've found, denying yourself food or foods doesn't work - eat clean, unprocessed food for your main diet & moderation on the rest - stay in your MFP target & log everything - even if it puts you over!

Exercise is everything & don't shy from the weights as well as cardio - it accelerates your base metabolism rate & really helps.

Try not to "lose 100 lbs ... rather, lose 1lb but 100 times" ... don't know why but that makes me feel better

Add if you wish... I don't ramble on quite as much but do log every day!

Tim