18 days in and this is what I've learned

Options
Stella3838
Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
I've been reading A LOT of posts lately about "I've been really awesome with my eating and working out for 2 or 3 weeks, why am I not losing weight?!" that I thought I would post about what the last 18 days have done for me.

I started January 1st like many others. I've been cleaning up my eating and staying in my calorie target, weighing my foods, logging everything everyday (even the "bad" days), exercising 30 - 50 minutes each day, drinking lots of water, getting up from my desk at work to walk every hour, making sure I get plenty of sleep, I got an activity tracker to help me stay a little more organized (and I love it!).... all the things we're "supposed" to do. And have I lost weight?

Well, yes and no. Two pounds. But I'm awfully sure that was water weight and a lot of people see that initial bump. But two pounds is two pounds. Great! Awesome! It that all? Nope! Wait, there's more!!

In the past 18 days, I have gotten a lot stronger. I couldn't do pushups or sit ups to save my *kitten*, but now, I'm able to do variations of each and not feel like I'm killing myself. I can go longer with cardio and with more resistance. I'm not wheezing like my lung fell out like on Day 1. I've been able to increase the weight for my strength training. And what I feel really good about is doing weighted Russian Twists WHILE RAISING MY LEGS!! <--- (This is kinda hard just starting out.) But I have gotten so much stronger in a short period of time.

In the past 18 days, I've been sleeping better. Good solid sleep many nights at least 7.5 hours. And I'm rested when I wake up. Generally, I feel much better. Eating healthier and drinking water has greatly reduced that horrible bloat and things are "processing" as they should timely, if you catch my drift. Sure the water makes me head to the restroom more, but heck that's just more walking!! I'm in a better mood. Waking rested and getting a workout in before work helps me set the tone of the day. I don't crave the "junk" food like I did. Now, I'm more than willing to grab an apple when I'm hungry. The list goes on.

So have I lost weight, not really. Will I? Sticking on this path absolutely. And my clothes will fit better, I'll continue to get strong, I'll build a healthier heart and lungs, and I'll feel better about myself. It'll come. It took me several years to get where I was on January 1st and I know it'll take me the better part of this year getting back to the healthy life I want. So while my scale isn't reflecting the work I have been doing, I know of a dozen other things that have happened. Small wins. Small gains. And these will turn into large wins and large gains.

I wish the very best to everyone on this road right now. We will get there. Be patient. Keep working. Don't give up. And do something a little better each day.

Replies

• hnsr1021
    hnsr1021 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I needed to read this this morning! I've been kind of discouraged by not seeing the scale really move but I have seen changes in other ways! Small victories! Thanks for posting!
  • jaims224
    jaims224 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I too needed that. I am in the EXACT same boat. 1 lb though. :)
  • Morglem
    Morglem Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I really needed to see this today. I was really frustrated today because the scale is not moving nearly as fast as I would like. But you definitely put things on perspective. I'm feeling much butter overall. I'm sore all over from my workouts. So something good is happening. I just need to be patient. Thank you!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    This is a very good way to be looking at things. Recognizing that it's all a process and not everything is going to, or has to happen overnight. I think that's probably the number one mistake people make...they want to flip a switch and poof...magic...it's really a process, and one that ultimately goes into perpetuity.
  • katswifty
    katswifty Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wonderful post! Great reminders about the small victories. Thanks for sharing your insight!!!
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Same here...I increased my water consumption and quit eating after 4:30 pm. Maybe the scales will be friendlier...:)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Sherbog wrote: »
    Same here...I increased my water consumption and quit eating after 4:30 pm. Maybe the scales will be friendlier...:)

Just a note that the timing of eating is irrelevant. Eat through midnight if it suits your lifestyle.
  • vanessamolano
    vanessamolano Posts: 11 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I would recommend drinking apple cider vinegar & lemon juice! Fat burnersss to the max! I've lost 10lbs with it in a matter of 2 weeks. You can look it up on google or youtube! Hope this is helpful! Don't give up ever! Trust me all the hard work you put in will show results eventually! You got this!
  • befitnow27
    befitnow27 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Very motivating post! Same as me, keep going and continue to eat healthy and exercise coz what I feel is what important. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    @Stella3838, with such a beautiful attitude, you will go far and reach your goals!

have-a-life-and-i-had-a-life-1cD5ul-clipart.jpg
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I would recommend drinking apple cider vinegar & lemon juice! Fat burnersss to the max! I've lost 10lbs with it in a matter of 2 weeks. You can look it up on google or youtube! Hope this is helpful! Don't give up ever! Trust me all the hard work you put in will show results eventually! You got this!

No, this is silly.

You lost weight because you were in a calorie deficit, and 10 pounds in two weeks is not healthy.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    OP...slow and steady weight loss is great. Especially if you don't have a lot to lose. It has taken me a year to start losing weight. I bounced back and forth a lot and now I am almost 15lbs down. Keep at it. A loss is a loss.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

No, this is silly.

You lost weight because you were in a calorie deficit, and 10 pounds in two weeks is not healthy.

I have tried this and it is a good cleanser but isn't recommended for long term weight loss. My NP used to put me on this to help cleanse my system and lower the bloat I was experiencing. As a matter of fact it is great for water weight. I would gain as much as 20lbs during my period and warm lemon water would get it back off quickly and safely.
  • SuperStarSuperMum
    SuperStarSuperMum Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wonderful post
  • Lioness_1978
    Lioness_1978 Posts: 3,938 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • just_luda
    just_luda Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is such a great post. I've been struggling with the scale because I feel like I've been working so hard. I have to realize I didn't get to this point overnight. It will take time and I just have to trust that it will pay off over time. I really needed to see this message. Thanks for sharing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!