Anyone else appreciating their food more?

Options
mskimee
mskimee Posts: 228 Member
Since I've been logging and counting my food, I find I'm naturally eating less "treats" in order to fit into my calorie goal. Last night I had a few chocolates that I normally like anyway, but found myself savoring them more and appreciating how good they are. I only had 4 (200 cals) but felt I enjoyed those 4 a lot more than when I'd open a box and eat the whole lot in one go. It's the same with most of the "naughty" foods, almost like my treats have become treats again cos I'm not mindlessly wolfing them down. Weirdly enough I found a few of my treat food that when I slowed down and actually tasted them, I don't actually like them as much as I thought. Paprika Pringles use to be my favorite, but now they just taste too salty and I can't seem to enjoy then cos i feel sick after a few!

Replies

• sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Absolutely! I have always loved food, but I now enjoy eating a whole lot more than I used to. I think there are several reasons. Because I am eating less, I am eating when I am genuinely hungry, which makes it all that much better. And when I do, I stop when I am no longer hungry, so I rarely have that "Ugh, I ate too much" feeling. And because I have now been doing this successfully for quite a while, I can now comfortably enjoy ALL of my food guilt-free. I'm past thinking of foods as good or bad and able to just think about appropriate portions--and then thoroughly enjoy them without regrets. It is a huge difference.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    sbrandt37 wrote: »
    Absolutely! I have always loved food, but I now enjoy eating a whole lot more than I used to. I think there are several reasons. Because I am eating less, I am eating when I am genuinely hungry, which makes it all that much better. And when I do, I stop when I am no longer hungry, so I rarely have that "Ugh, I ate too much" feeling. And because I have now been doing this successfully for quite a while, I can now comfortably enjoy ALL of my food guilt-free. I'm past thinking of foods as good or bad and able to just think about appropriate portions--and then thoroughly enjoy them without regrets. It is a huge difference.

That!!! Exactly! I don't lay in bed at night thinking "dang why did I eat that extra *fill in yummy food here* before bed?" and then laying there for an hour waiting to feel less full before being able to fall asleep.!!!
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    That!!! Exactly! I don't lay in bed at night thinking "dang why did I eat that extra *fill in yummy food here* before bed?"

Exactly! Instead, you can just think, "Mmmm, that was nice," then roll over and go to sleep feeling good about yourself.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Definitely -- also when calories count I seem to make more of an effort to make sure the foods I eat (especially the higher cal ones) are really worth it.

Just got back to this after being rather out of control over December and went to a work dinner last week with teeny tiny desserts at the end (one of those things where they have little sizes of multiple desserts, to be shared) and had the little cheesecake and thoroughly enjoyed it and surprisingly didn't want anything more afterwards. Woo-hoo, I'm back to normal!