HELP WITH DOMS

Options
Hi guys, I have recently joined back up to go to the gym and went to a kettle bell class yesterday morning....I am really achy (yay worked muscles I forgot I had lol) but got a P90X class booked for tomorrow morning. Would you go even if you're still aching and push through to get your body used to it....reading a lot of conflicting info on the web.....tia..x

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    You don't exercise a "programmed" class if you're really hurting. It's inviting injury to happen. However, if you did something on your own (walking on the treadmill, stationary biking, moderate weight lifting), then movement alone will help with the discomfort from DOMS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    For DOMS I'd continue to work out. I think you'll find that you feel much better if you keep moving. Walk after your workout and the next day. Try to warm up by briskly walking 10-15 minutes before your next class.
  • jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm having the same problem! I haven't lifted weights for years, but want to improve my strength and increase my metabolism. Just doing 3 sets of 10reps for about 10 exercises has given me the soreness for 5 days now! I expected maybe 3 days but this was a surprise. Did some walking, and stretching ability was minimal due to pain lol. Going to have a swim today. Think I'm almost over this initial soreness shock. Good luck to you. I was in so much pain my second day I actually took an ice bath like the pros. (No ice, but maybe 40-50 degree water). It's supposed to shunt blood out of the muscle so you can get rid of the lactic acid faster.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Soreness isn't a measure of anything, and DOMS are expected if you're just starting or coming back to a fitness regimen. Life-affecting DOMS - making it hard to do normal tasks - have been caused (in my experience) by overdoing by a lot.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk and have a stretch and assess how you feel.
  • BeGrandLike
    BeGrandLike Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Depends on the level of pain, really? I think it's okay to take an extra day or two between intense workouts when you're starting a new programme and gettin' the DOMS. Just make sure you're doing something on those days- even if it's just a long walk or a swim. It's exercise, so you'll feel better about yourself. And getting some gentle movement in helps to ease the soreness a lot.

Remember, you're in this for the long haul! If it takes you an extra week to get into the swing of things... so what? Listen to your body.