HIIT on rowing machine or treadmill

Options
Anyone any advice for me. I'm 71 yo female lost over 30 lbs been working out so fairly fit. Would like to incorporate some HIIT on the treadmill or rower but I have knee problem so cant sprint

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you have knee problems I'd probably suggest forget doing intervals on the treadmill.

If you're using a Concept2 rower with a PM3 or higher there are a number of interval programs built in. Personally I like to 1 x 2,000m, 1 x 1,500m , 1 x 1,000m & 1 x 500m with 3 min rest between intervals workout (I tend to alternate that with steady state rows) one of the others is based on 500m sprints with 1 min rest between & that one is hard if you're going all out.
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    If you have knee problems I'd probably suggest forget doing intervals on the treadmill.

If you're using a Concept2 rower with a PM3 or higher there are a number of interval programs built in. Personally I like to 1 x 2,000m, 1 x 1,500m , 1 x 1,000m & 1 x 500m with 3 min rest between intervals workout (I tend to alternate that with steady state rows) one of the others is based on 500m sprints with 1 min rest between & that one is hard if you're going all out.

Thanks for that will check rower tomorrow
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Swimming is good too. No impact on the joints. You can self pace. Sprint, or do distance.
    Spinning classes are a great no impact workout too.
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    Swimming is good too. No impact on the joints. You can self pace. Sprint, or do distance.
    Spinning classes are a great no impact workout too.

Not a "class person" and to my shame never learned to swim still perhaps I should make that my next goal