Calorie goal struggle

Options
Does anyone else find it extremely difficult to hit your calorie goal while trying to eat healthier? I could easily eat 1,200 calories in one sitting when I'm not on a diet but once I start counting calories, I find myself eating almost too good lol and then I wind up binge eating horribly. The struggle is real.

Replies

• alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    No. I don't find it difficult at all to hit my calorie target and I eat much more than 1200 a day
  • meganx811
    meganx811 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Do you snack a lot during the day? I'm a teacher so sometimes I don't pack enough food to snack on during the day which maybe I should. What kind of meals do you typically eat?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    No.... cos peanut butter...

I just had two slices of pizza for lunch. Won't have any problem hitting my calorie goal today. :)
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Also, are you accurately weighing and logging your food? You may be inadvertently eating more than you think. 1200 calories is pretty low and I know, for myself, I would have no problem hitting that daily - even with low calorie, high volume foods.

If you are having trouble hitting your calorie goals, swap out your low-fat items with full-fat and that way you get more calories without sacrificing volume. Add in a few slices of avocado or 30g of almonds and you can get there as well.

Or have a square or two of chocolate. Mmm.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    No.... cos peanut butter...

I'm starting to think that's all you eat B)

It's in my diary most days.... :smiley:
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    meganx811 wrote: »
    Does anyone else find it extremely difficult to hit your calorie goal while trying to eat healthier? I could easily eat 1,200 calories in one sitting when I'm not on a diet but once I start counting calories, I find myself eating almost too good lol and then I wind up binge eating horribly. The struggle is real.

Hmmm it can get challenging without exceeding my macros , well specifically carbs. But then there are nuts and almonds and it's easier hehe, it can be pretty hard only eating raw veggies for example, but I'll have some soy or rice or nuts and then it's all good.

Thanks to this post I decide I'll go and get me some peanut butter soon!
  • meganx811
    meganx811 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!! I decided to look for recipes on Pinterest that I can eat that'll satisfy the binges and give me more substance throughout the day. Cauliflower cheesey bread is going to happen, as well as more peanut butter! Haha no more rabbit food all day :P
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any trouble with it, but I still eat a lot of the same "bad" things I always have. I eat a lot of healthy stuff, too, but I haven't cut anything out, just changed the way I approach it. I am usually pretty well in the range I aim for. Occasionally, I'll be a bit short because I've not been very hungry or I've been super busy. But those don't happen a ton.
  • izsavik
    izsavik Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I know this was pretty much discussed but I do really have problems reaching my calorie goal. Please help. I am suppose to eat 1260 calories a day, I excercise 5 days a week and burn in my workouts in between 250-500 it all depends, anyhow after logging in everything I have eaten during the day it shows I am under my goal with 400-550 calories under. I am eating really healthy mostly salads and protein and carbs only in the mornings. The strange thing is that I feel like I eat enough, I am not hungry and not having cravings but am afraid being so under my goal is going to mess up my weight loss. Please advice. Thank you
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options

Binge restriction cycling is a pretty bad thing actually.

What would happen if you calculated maintenance calories for your goal weight and simply ate that every day?
    That way when you reach goal you won't have to worry about adjusting anything.
  • SR1986
    SR1986 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I find myself in your situation daily. Non healthy eating I could hit 1200 thrice. But when I'm tracking, and trying to hit certain goals (specific % carbs, fat and protein) I find myself wondering "what can I eat?!" I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks if I can so I feel like I'm eating all day! And I am. Once you add in the deficit from working out it can get rough to hit that calorie goal. I don't ever feel hungry either. When I find myself in that situation I usually eat some peanut butter, some sort of nut or a granola bar. Or a granola bar with peanut butter smeared on it :) I try not to leave too much of a deficit because you know I don't want my body to go into starvation mode after working out. But I rarely ever hit all calories. Maybe 100 or less left. But yes, it happens to me even on 1200 calories.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    izsavik wrote: »
    Hi, I know this was pretty much discussed but I do really have problems reaching my calorie goal. Please help. I am suppose to eat 1260 calories a day, I excercise 5 days a week and burn in my workouts in between 250-500 it all depends, anyhow after logging in everything I have eaten during the day it shows I am under my goal with 400-550 calories under. I am eating really healthy mostly salads and protein and carbs only in the mornings. The strange thing is that I feel like I eat enough, I am not hungry and not having cravings but am afraid being so under my goal is going to mess up my weight loss. Please advice. Thank you

You could try adding an oil dressing to the salads,some peanut butter,a glass of milk? Easy way to add calories which aren't too filling.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options

It's awesome that you're trying to clean up your diet, but you still want to incorporate foods that you enjoy to avoid binges & to eventually find a way to sustain your diet for life. You could also be binging if you're eating way under your calorie goal.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I can't relate. Most days I'm hungry every couple of hours. However I do randomly have "non-hungry" days and I just allow myself to eat lower calories that day because that doesn't happen too often.