Please reassure me...so scared of thyroid biopsy!

Options
I'm going to an endo on Tuesday as directed by my g.p. to check some abnormal nodules. I've heard that they perform biopsies to determine whether the nodules are cancerous or not. I'm deathy afraid of needles. Is there anyone out there who might be able to calm my nerves about this proceedure? :sad:

Replies

• thepiratemd
    Options
    The tests they'll do depend on what you've already had done.

If the physician simply palpated (felt) some large/abnormal bumps on your neck, they will NOT go straight to a biopsy. They need to determine if the nodule is "hot" (overactive) or "cold" (underactive).

Without going into too much detail, the NEXT step after that if the diagnosis isnt clear, is a biopsy. It's a fine needle aspiration...they stick a very thin needle in and suck a bit out. it is NOT extremely painful. and it is quite a sensitive and specific test.
  • azavala78
    azavala78 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I had a biopsy done for abnormal nodules on my thyroid - and it was painless! My endocrinologist was very calm, and made sure that I was comfortable. I remember he had me lay down, and marked my neck with a marker in the points where he wanted to biopsy. THere was also a machine that rested lightly on my neck/chest area that not only steadied the needles, but it also distracted me. The needles were very, very thin, and I didn't feel a thing :) This was about 8 years ago, so thing might have changed since then.

It will be ok! I felt better knowing that I was doing this so that I could prevent anything worse from happening.

You will do wonderful <3:flowerforyou:
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your quick response. I did go to have an ultrasound on my neck after seeing the g.p. After that is when I received a phone call directing me to attend the appt. with the endo.
  • kathyrbl
    kathyrbl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I certainly can't add anything to the great responses below. However, I will be sending prayers your way. Good luck and I hope all goes well. No matter what happens just keep taking deep breaths, ask lots of questions and take one step at a time. That is the way I got through my breast cancer journey and I think it would work for any health crisis.
  • JessicaBR13
    JessicaBR13 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I've been having thyroid biopsies for the last three years. My doctor wanted me to have them every six months. They are really no big deal, all you feel is a little pinch. Also, the way you will be positioned, you won't be able to see the needle.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'm going to an endo on Tuesday as directed by my g.p. to check some abnormal nodules. I've heard that they perform biopsies to determine whether the nodules are cancerous or not. I'm deathy afraid of needles. Is there anyone out there who might be able to calm my nerves about this proceedure? :sad:

I'm deathly scared of needles as well. I don't want to make you more nervous but I want to put this out straight so you know - if you get so nervous that your blood pressure goes too high - they won't be able to proceed.

Practice deep breathing techniques, try music, meditation, visualization...and whatever else you might be able to google and test them out before the procedure.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    My mom just had 4 done at once. I called her right after and she was able to speak. I expected her to be more sore than she was, but she was fine!

Plus, we just got her results and everything came back benign (which makes the test totally worth it)!
  • YamRector
    YamRector Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I had one 2 months ago...my surgeon doesn't believe in pain and traumas so he use a drug that you lightly go to sleep and I didn't feel a thing or remember a thing. For me it was perfect, I had enough traumas in my life :frown:
    After that I had a light pain on my trout but really nothing serious at all. My biopsy results were benign :drinker: .
    Don't be afraid:-) and good luck :flowerforyou:
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much to everyone for your supportive words. :flowerforyou: Joy, my blood pressure is relatively low and I already practice a type of self meditation that keeps it at an even keel when I feel nervous but thanks for the heads up. Kathy, I've lost two relatives to breast cancer...I'm so glad that you were able to overcome the disease.
    I wonder how long it takes to get the results back.
  • kablooeee2u
    Options
    i had an aspiration done for a nodule. yes, they stuck a needle through my neck. did i enjoy it? no. however, i just made sure i followed their instructions and concentrated on whatever i could to pass the time while they did the procedure. as for the results...they said it basically was inconclusive. it was too small of a sample, but the good news was there was nothing wrong with the small sample they got.
  • 141by2016
    141by2016 Posts: 179
    Options
    If you do end up needing a biopsy don't feel weird asking if you can have sedation. They want you to be calm and still. I have 9 nodules and get tested yearly.
  • dadirtyredd1
    Options
    I've had about 3 thyroid biopsies in the last 6 years and the procedure is fairly simply and quick. Trust me I don't like needles either, and I was really scared on my first on too, but don't worry, you will barely even feel it. It really is like a mild pinch, then its over.
  • salt160
    salt160 Posts: 44
    Options
    I had one done a few years back because i was experiencing a lot of pain when sneezing or coughing. It was painless and easy. Docs are good with that kind of thing. It turned out to be my allergy nasal inhaler that was causing the problem. I figured it out a year later when resuming the medication.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I hate medical procedures and hospitals but I've always found the anticipation is usually worse than the experience. Had cataract surgery on both eyes in my 40s (two separate surgeries), had a colonoscopy ten years ago. Both were a snap. I hope your procedure goes well.

I second the suggestion to ask for sedation ... I had it for all my recent procedures.