Dinner - Ok?

Options
I am planning on a 4 oz tuna steak, large salad (no cheese, meat, dairy, nuts or dressing) and a few slices of baked sweet potato. Is that ok?

Replies

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't it be? If you like it and it fits with the rest of your goals for the day, then go for it.
  • haleyhawkins
    haleyhawkins Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't it be? If you like it and it fits with the rest of your goals for the day, then go for it.

I have done Camp Gladiator, eaten 120 calories of oat bran and plan on a 3 mile run later.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If all you have had is 120 calories of oat bran, you need more than that for dinner (unless there is some important information you aren't sharing with us).

What is your calorie goal?
  • haleyhawkins
    Options
    If all you have had is 120 calories of oat bran, you need more than that for dinner (unless there is some important information you aren't sharing with us).

I want to lose about 3 pounds
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options

Yes, but what is MFP telling you your daily calorie goal should be?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I like garlic oil on my salad & cheese. I'd be starving if I had no fat on it.
  • haleyhawkins
    Options

Yes, but what is MFP telling you your daily calorie goal should be?

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Is it me or is this post a giant red flag?
  • haleyhawkins
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

Why would it be? I am new to healthy eating and portion sizes. I am just trying to figure out if that's ok or do I need a bigger meal?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Why would it be? I am new to healthy eating and portion sizes. I am just trying to figure out if that's ok or do I need a bigger meal?

Do you like it?
    Does it fit into your calorie and nutrition goals for the day? (Including hitting things like your personal calorie, fat, protein, & fiber minimums)
    Do you feel good after eating it?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

If all you have had is 120 calories of oat bran, you need to eat more today. Enter your foods into MFP and figure out how much more you need based on the oat bran and the planned size of your dinner.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Ok, here's what to do. Open your food log and choose the foods you want to eat; try to be precise about how much. If it fits within your 1743 calories for the day, you're all set. Nutritious foods would be great, but for now, just make sure you don't go over (or much under) your daily calories.

It helps to log the full day ahead of time, or to have a general idea of how many calories you want to use for each meal, so you don't run out by dinner time. When you exercise, log that too, and then eat those calories if you're still hungry.

Does that help?
  • annavau
    annavau Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a great dinner, and, if all you have eaten is the 120 cals of oatbran (and you have exercised, too), you will probably need more on top of that, too! Try putting the dinner foods you have planned into myfitnesspal, even before you eat it, to see what your balance for calories and other nutrients is. How many calories does it tell you you will have left for the day? And then, after you eat the meal, are you still hungry? If you're hungry, eat other nutrient-dense foods (fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, nuts, and/or beans) to make up the remaining calories.
    Hope that makes sense!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    A Texas gal asking for approval to eat? The apocalypse is upon us.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options

If all you have had is 120 calories of oat bran, you need to eat more today. Enter your foods into MFP and figure out how much more you need based on the oat bran and the planned size of your dinner.

This. If all you've had today is that oat bran and all you plan to eat for the rest of the day is 4oz of tuna steak and large salad (sounds delicious, by the way), then in all likelihood you're under-eating. That you're planning to run 3 miles later is concerning. The body needs fuel just to function whilst completely sedentary, and it needs more fuel when you're exercising.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options

Before you were born, perhaps even before your parents were, the Texas Cattlemen's Association advertised with little signs on fence posts around the borders of Cattlemen's Association members' wherever passing motorists could be advised, 'Watch your curves. Eat more beef". True then. True now.
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options

This. If all you've had today is that oat bran and all you plan to eat for the rest of the day is 4oz of tuna steak and large salad (sounds delicious, by the way), then in all likelihood you're under-eating. That you're planning to run 3 miles later is concerning. The body needs fuel just to function whilst completely sedentary, and it needs more fuel when you're exercising.

This. You need to eat more.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I have done Camp Gladiator, eaten 120 calories of oat bran and plan on a 3 mile run later.

You don't have anything logged for the last few days. That's all I looked at.

If all you've eaten today is 120 Calories, then add a bit of cheese, meat, dressings to your salad; put some butter (and sour cream, if you like it) on your potato; and eat dessert.
  • Gotrek1
    Gotrek1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'd say depends on your goals... I ate my daily calories in cake one day, that's all I ate. Still loosing weight. But probably fast tracking to diabetes.... (not advice just a fact calorie is a calorie)
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Just eat an entire frozen pizza.