Logging black coffee?

Options
2»

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    ​I use the check-marked entry (MFP-entered based on the USDA National Nutrient Database) for "Coffee - Brewed from grounds," which lists about 11 different serving sizes from which to choose.

It is only 2 Calories per 8 fluid ounces, but the bonus for me is that it includes the micronutrients sodium and potassium that may not be provided with most of the other user-entered items.

3k41lbzyk91i.jpg
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I drink 6-8 cups a day and have never tracked it.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I log it more to keep track how much coffee I'm drinking than to count the calories.

However, I believe in logging everything that I eat or drink (including water) regardless of their cal count because I believe that making exceptions for what you do or do not log is a bad habit that can result in logging fewer cals that you actually ingest which can lead to undesired weight gain.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Never, since it's not something I would adjust if I weren't losing so it makes no difference.

Plus if I were to log it it would be to know precisely how much I drink and right now I'm still in denial mode. ;-)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't log coffee, but I log these 3 calories worth of lemon juice for some reason. I also log each packet of sweetener as a gram of sugar. My diary looks funny when people see I had 2 grams of sugar for a snack. Just a habit I picked up and feel OCD if I don't.
  • bele2009
    bele2009 Posts: 137 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I started logging my coffees mainly because I used to drink it with Half&Half creamer. Over the last 6 months I decreased the cream amount and the last 3 months I drink it black and actually prefer it that way. Those Half&Half calories were piling up, especially that I drink about 6-8 cups per day ;-)
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I even log the water that gets absorbed through my skin from rinsing my coffee cup. But then I'm pretty ocd. :/

Osmotic Compulsive Disorder?
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You guys are so hardcore. Two cups of coffee makes me feel like I need to go to the emergency room from heart palpitations and dizziness. One cup, I'm good to go. Two cups, hot mess.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I log it along with the milk I add to it, but I don't usually have anything else for breakfast so I like to see something at least logged in that area. :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    alyssa0061 wrote: »
    You guys are so hardcore. Two cups of coffee makes me feel like I need to go to the emergency room from heart palpitations and dizziness. One cup, I'm good to go. Two cups, hot mess.

My post count jumps through the roof here if i have 2 or more cups of coffee in a row, jabber jabber jabber! Too much coffee definitely gives me a speedy feeling and i cant stop talking.
    My husband loves it when i drink too much (NOT) :lol: so i space them faaaar apart throughout the day.

• DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    This' my, coffee cup! >:)

7uzem9z35xbe.jpg
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    I have "my coffee" entered as a recipe. I drink it with sugar and half and half. I don't add any calories for the coffee itself. I don't usually add unsweetened tea either.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I log Coke Zero it's only 1-2 calories per serving so even if you drink several litres a day it is barely any calories.

But what about other thinks like salt?

Does black coffee have anything else in it to make worth logging like sodium? Vitamin c?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I log Coke Zero it's only 1-2 calories per serving so even if you drink several litres a day it is barely any calories.

Does black coffee have anything else in it to make worth logging like sodium? Vitamin c?

potassium
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I have always logged it- mostly because it was an important part of the routine for me. I don't always eat breakfast, and there was something about the routine and getting my day started by looking at MFP that was important for me. However, it took me years of logging both coffee and milk to smarten up and just create a recipe. Now I log C's Coffee every day.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

potassium

Is there a way to see this for an entry you've already added? I know if you search you can see the nutritional info, but I have one saved (Coffee Black Keurig 10 oz) and I can't seem to see the nutritional info.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options

potassium

Is there a way to see this for an entry you've already added? I know if you search you can see the nutritional info, but I have one saved (Coffee Black Keurig 10 oz) and I can't seem to see the nutritional info.

On the web version, navigate to FOOD > Settings and change one of the nutrient columns to potassium.

On the app, log the item to tomorrow or a day without any other items then look at Menu > Nutrition > Nutrients > Day View.