Pizza Dough

Options
Can anyone recommend a good pizza dough from the store, or homemade? Wednesdays are our pizza night where my girls and I make homemade pizza, but I have tried out a couple from the store and wasn't crazy about either. The first was just premade crust that you put your toppings on and the brand was Mama Mary's. The second was Jiffy pizza crust mix and I think I needed to pre-bake it a little longer because it turned out rather soft and bready (although we liked the flavor). Anyone have a good recipe to make it from scratch, or tips on the Jiffy pizza crust mix? Or another brand that isn't too expensive? Thanks!

Replies

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    are you near a publix or a trader joe's? both have refrigerated dough that you just have to let rise on the counter top then toss in the oven. both are really good imo too
  • GettingFit5551
    GettingFit5551 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks! The Trader Joes by me is not too convenient to get to, but I wonder if Aldi has it? There is one by my house. I may stop in there on my way home.
  • oldsoul918
    oldsoul918 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    When I make BBQ pizza in the summer, I make dough using 1 cup greek yogurt and 1.5 cups self-rising flour. Season it with a little garlic powder or garlic bread seasoning and VOILA! Super easy and tasty!

I've only ever cooked it on a BBQ, but I'm sure it'd be fine in the oven too.
  • deedeetime
    deedeetime Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love Trader Joes Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    deedeetime wrote: »
    I love Trader Joes Whole Wheat Pizza Dough

Likewise!
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I've used the Pioneer Woman's pizza crust recipe for years.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/my-favorite-pizza/

It's even better if you make it a day or two before and leave in the refrigerator until an hour or two before you need it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I just use Fleischmann's Pizza Yeast recipe....and add a few spices to the dough

http://www.pizzacrustyeast.com/recipes_landing.html

The key to a crispy crust (for me) is a pizza stone. If using a cookie sheet try preheating it before putting the crust on (roll dough out on a big piece of foil and transfer the whole thing).
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I use Alton Brown's.
  • brewerfan13
    brewerfan13 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'd just get little Caesars. Save time and money. They make their dough fresh in store daily.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i read some website somewhere and make pizza dough with just water, salt, yeast and flour. and i keep the dough as sticky as possible; seems like the more water in it the more it puffs up when it cooks. and if i'm feeling hardcore i start it out in a cast-iron pan on the stove before finishing it in the oven - no pizza stone.

i like chewy pizza dough with near-burnt patches and big air bubbles though. might not be everyone's thing.
  • GettingFit5551
    GettingFit5551 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I love these pizza ideas. I don't mind Little Caesars once in a while, but the pizza making is something I just like to do with my girls, like quality time, and they love to do it, so making the dough from scratch seems like our best plan. Although I do have this urge to make a special trip to Trader Joes to get some pizza dough that is already made. :)
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    We make homemade pizza every Friday night and this is my absolute favorite dough. When baked on a pizza stone...perfection. I also make my dough on Thursdays and let it ferment in the fridge until Friday. The taste that comes from the fermentation is pizza magic.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/prime-time-pizza-dough.html

MMMMMmmmm.....now I want pizza. Tomorrow can't come soon enough.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Call up your favorite pizzeria or bakery and ask if they sell their own dough. We can usually get it for cheaper than the supermarket, and put money into the hands of small business owners at the same time.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    This was tasty

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-homemade-thin-crust-pizza-recipes-from-the-kitchn-45499

I've used the Fleischmann's Pizza Yeast recipe with success too.

Been making sourdough pizza dough lately though and I'm not sure I can ever go back!
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    This is amazing. The secret is 00 flour, it's different almost a silky feel to the flour. I made a batch three days ago. Simple easy and delicious. The dough works well, cooks nice and light and crispy! I've used it on the grill, and a stone. You could probably just put it on the oven rack directly.

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016230-robertas-pizza-dough

If you can't find 00 flour in your local grocery Amazon does sell it.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Flour, water, salt & yeast -- maybe with a little olive oil.

My usual formula is 400g flour, 8g salt, 6g instant yeast and 260g water (65% hydration).

I add about 20g of olive oil if I feel like it. Sometimes, I add 15g white wine vinegar to give the yeasties an acidic environment to really puff. Rarely, I throw in about 20g of sugar.

Sometimes, I'll throw in some dried herbs, replace some flour with whole wheat or throw in the rye starter discards from feeding my sourdough starter. Whole wheat requires more water, the 50% hydration rye starter means less.

When I have it on hand, I use 00 flour, usually Caputo's Tipo. Otherwise, I just use supermarket bread flour or, in a pinch, AP flour.

I know my pizza dough will never exactly match what I might get at a really good Northeastern city pizza place but that's more because my oven can't match the temperatures of a real pizza oven.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    If you like thin crust and want to keep calories at a minimum, our family has recently discovered "tortilla pizzas". We use regular or whole wheat tortillas from Trader Joe's, and just add pasta/pizza sauce and whatever toppings we want, then add cheese on top. Pop in the oven for 10 minutes or less. They are yummy, and everyone can make their own. We've even done this with salsa, beans, and/or black bean burger with cheddar cheese to make "Mexican pizzas". We made them for my mom and now that's all she and my neices/nephews make anymore for pizza.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Great point Heidi made. Add herbs to the crust. Basil, oregano, rosemary, red pepper flakes are some of ours favorites.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I made this tonight for the family. Homemade crust and sauce and all. They all told me how good it was, so I was kind of jealous that I couldn't eat it.
    adbqti11ncrw.jpeg