New here, have about 130lbs to lose

Options
Trying to figure out how to change eating habits for the better, without starving myself. I do pretty good throughout the day but 8 pm comes around and I think I'm starving. I'm not though. But I can't stop thinking about snacking so I give in.... Any thoughts, would appreciate any good ideas. By the way I'm 42 years old about 6 foot, weighing in at 355.5....thanks

Replies

• OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Leave calories to have a snack that you want. I have snacks every night. Because I know what I am going to have or how much I can have I dont feel like I am cheating and eat more than I want to eat
  • chgonzalez1978
    chgonzalez1978 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I was on a similar journey about 2 years ago and with help and encouragement from my MFP friends (along with others in my life) I was able to loose about 130lbs. That journey has ended only to start a new one which is to maintain my weight on the long term. Feel free to friend me and Ill be happy to assist in anyway I can.
  • trinityann8423
    trinityann8423 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I found that night time was my biggest time for snacking also and for me more than anything I think it was out of boredom..I would eat a little more during the day and maybe try to sleep more too if you aren't getting enough sleep (I was told that can hinder weight loss and isn't good for heart)
  • John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    drink lots of water.... anytime you feel hungry, have 8oz of water and wait 10 minutes then reassess your hunger. if you are still hungry, have a small snack and another 8oz of water with it. the water will help trick your brain into feeling fuller longer, plus you are drinking more H2O which is always good. best of luck
  • happymum55
    happymum55 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Don't go hungry, but try to eat healthy foods that you prepare yourself. Don't beat yourself up if you have a slip, just carry on the next day. Slow and steady gets there eventually - I've done it several times only to stupidly put it all again, and more! That's another story though. Good luck and take all the help and encouragement you can get. Log all you eat and be honest with yourself. Cheers.
  • FitBitFitter
    FitBitFitter Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Make a plan based on YOUR preferences. If you can't make big changes, instantly, make small ones. Frozen grapes make a great, low calorie, substitute for sweets. Light popcorn (little or no butter, use ranch or bbq seasoning instead) for salty, crunchy snacks. Write down things you typically eat, research the calories and find substitutes. Lean chicken for fatty meats, cut out (or cut down) on cheese or anything containing oils (high calories). Get some sort of exercise (diet is most important but exercise really can help), even if it's just walking. Make a plan you can stick to and give it 3 or 4 weeks. You should lose some pounds and get more energy and your tasted buds will start to adjust. Then make some more changes. DO NOT beat yourself up if you mess up. Tell yourself it was necessary to stay sane and get right back on track. If you stick to YOUR plan 80% to 90% of the time, a few slip-ups will just be blips, when you look back, months from now. Find supportive friends on here. Good luck, YOU CAN DO IT!
  • katiepoo22
    katiepoo22 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Add me I have a lot to lose as well I've started last week eating healthy and I'm starting the gym tomorrow my tip is don't starve and eat the right things look at buying smaller plate and bowl that's what I've done and when you're peckish have fruit or healthy cereal etc
  • dmcclure12
    dmcclure12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I agree with FitBitFitter's advice. Look at foods you love and go from there - revise, substitute, add to. If you don't like the food you allow yourself, you aren't going to stick with it! I've lost 78, down to 150, but it's taken me three years. (I'm 56 now...uh). I chose to go slow, and steady with weight loss. Just be patient with yourself to begin with. And don't completely cut-out your treats. You and those around you will be happier! (I never go hungry, it seems like I'm eating all day! My co-workers hate me...but it's smart eating!)