Walking as a form of Cardio.

Options
124»

Replies

• rmarshalla
    rmarshalla Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am a waitress and my shifts are very fast-paced and busy. Wearing my HRM on a Friday night will tally upwards of 3000 calories (I monitor it for curiosity's sake at least once a month :P), but I do not count this/log this as exercise. It is my job, it is normal activity.

I don't eat extra calories, I just make sure to stay really hydrated.

I wouldn't eat back your burned calories from walking at work unless you feel physically hungry or unusually tired. Or maybe eat a healthy snack like natural peanut butter on toast, or oats, or some fresh fruits and veggies.

That's cool you're a postman :)

Thank you, this is just the sort of thing I was looking for, wow, 3000!!! hope the tips are good.

:smile: Glad I could help!! If you have any more questions feel free to message me! :smile:

And yeah, for an 8 hour shift I have burnt 3000 and 4000 calories (equals out to roughly 4-500 cal/hr). I think my HRM is nearly accurate because when I'm running I burn between 600-700 calories/hour; granted waitressing is not constant running (ALMOST), but you sure do run around non-stop and life/carry trays, dishes, etc, and scurry between the front door and back bar and kitchen all night! And yeah, the tips are fine, pays the bills for now.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    good gawd. you are not burning that level of calories in a waitress shift. the denial on here is staggering.. The difference between standing and a slow constant jog is 2cal/min. Thats 120cal/hour. There is ZERO chance ANY ONE OF YOU are doing more than that as part of your routine being a mailman or a waitress. this was also metabolic chamber tested, so it's 100% accurate. Unlike a HRM which is 100% useelss for things like being a mailman or a waitress as it does not track calories burned properly for that sort of activity.... Again, there is zero chance any of you are burning more than 120cal/hour from your job. Read it a hundred times until it sinks in....

I'll copy and paste my points from before. They still apply here.

1 your hrm is not accurate.. Like at all.. They give over inflated numbers on non cardio events.

2 heat makes your heart beat faster. Further decreasing hrm accuracy.

3 hrms include BMR. Factor in that 100-150 calories an hour of your total would have been burned anyway. Which further inflates the number you get.

4 you don't track work calories. It's routine.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    good gawd. you are not burning that level of calories in a waitress shift. the denial on here is staggering.. The difference between standing and a slow constant jog is 2cal/min. Thats 120cal/hour. There is ZERO chance ANY ONE OF YOU are doing more than that as part of your routine being a mailman or a waitress. this was also metabolic chamber tested, so it's 100% accurate. Unlike a HRM which is 100% useelss for things like being a mailman or a waitress as it does not track calories burned properly for that sort of activity.... Again, there is zero chance any of you are burning more than 120cal/hour from your job. Read it a hundred times until it sinks in....

I'll copy and paste my points from before. They still apply here.

1 your hrm is not accurate.. Like at all.. They give over inflated numbers on non cardio events.

2 heat makes your heart beat faster. Further decreasing hrm accuracy.

3 hrms include BMR. Factor in that 100-150 calories an hour of your total would have been burned anyway. Which further inflates the number you get.

4 you don't track work calories. It's routine.

Good point about the BMR, which not everyone realsies they have to deduct from their HRM burn. Your figures are pretty high though - I DO deduct my BMR, but that works out at about 60 per hour...
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I walk a lot because I don't like to drive.

I consider it to be N.E.A.T. and not my main work out. It's just extra. I will intentionally choose uphill routes, though. It's a good way to get extra activity, if you are already very active in other ways (I dance and lift weights).

But, there are even Olympic speed walkers (not that I know much of anything about that).
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    If your current calorie goal is calculated based on TDEE, then your normal daily activities should be accounted for already.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    There are benefits to walking. I always piss people off when I say this, but I just don't personally feel that walking is working out. But, it has benefits. It's not bad, and I do it sometimes. There are times, I don't feel like running or doing anything else. So, i'll go for a long week. And, I do feel movement. I'm not saying it's nothing. But, it's not like a real workout. It's a very light workout, I guess. So, as far as counting it, I dunno. i just don't think it burn much more than sleeping. that's my opinion. Flame away.

Get ready to feel the wrath of the walkers! We all know how violent walkers can be! :wink: :laugh: :tongue: