binge eating

Options
I have seen many post lately about binge eating and want to share how I deal with it. Today I had a binge eating episode and ate 660 calories in about 30 minutes. I did what my dietician calls a controlled binge, measure out one serving on what the food is put the container away, if I want more I measure out one serving of some other food, and continue. Today I had one serving each of frito scoops, sour cream and onion chips, cookie cereal, then I was done. My dietician said this can help control the binge because I can track it and it takes longer to weigh/measure the food so I will eat less until the compulsion to binge passes. The most important thing is to not dwell on it. Good luck everyone.

Replies

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    how I deal with binge or excessive eating is I crowd out my schedule, preferably with interesting stuff.

So true! When I am busy I will be much less likely to binge.
  • natreuben
    natreuben Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's good that you measure what you are eating. Do you find you feel guilty after wards and do you eat when you feel bad or feel you need some control or that you are bored. That's when you binge eat. Do you eat when you are stressed highly stressed and hungry. My boyfriend binge eats and I don't know why or how to help him what would you suggest. What stops you is it just the measuring.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Well that may be better than how I measure it. I usually weight the package or container before I pig out, then after and determine the damage.

If I had the bag in my hand I would have eaten all of it. When I measure it out and put the bag away it avoids that.

That has never helped me not eat the whole bag. I will go to the trouble and eventually just eat it out of the bag anyway. However I don't have a regular binging problem anymore. It used to be a daily event. Sometimes several times a day of uncontrolled, puppet on a string all out pigging out. Now I only do it around PMS time when my hormones are doing their thing. And it is never anything like it used to be.
  • cashidy
    cashidy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I am glad to read this. I binge really badly sometimes, and this gives me hope I can stop. I am terrified of this weekend when my binging will be worse, but I want to try your method.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    cashidy wrote: »
    I am glad to read this. I binge really badly sometimes, and this gives me hope I can stop. I am terrified of this weekend when my binging will be worse, but I want to try your method.

If you need someone to talk to you can add me as a friend or send me messages. I still struggle but I'm getting better the binge eating is less often and not as bad.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    cashidy wrote: »

Perhaps more structured weekends would be helpful for you? Join a gym, take a class, go for a hike, do volunteer work?
  • katherinejoyce80
    katherinejoyce80 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That is good advice.
  • angelb1983
    angelb1983 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Im glad you posted this even though it is old. I binged last night because I had way too much junk in the house and I was tired of eating within calories. I have always wondered how to manage this especially with hormonal fluctuations (sometimes I stay in calories easy and sometimes I can eat every bit of junk I see). I like the idea of measuring it out since most of the time I plan it mentally anyway and just don't care until the next morning.