skim milk or almond milk?

Options
I was just wondering skim milk or almond milk? Which one is better for you for weight loss

Replies

• jEsSiE2350
    jEsSiE2350 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Whichever one you like and fits in your calories best. Weight loss is all about calories in and calories out - not any specific foods.

Thank you
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I prefer skim milk. I tried almond milk and cashew milk and the texture was...wrong.

But yeah. Whichever you prefer.
  • Sawjer
    Sawjer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Whichever is more affordable and whichever one you like! count your calories and you can eat what you like!
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    I switched to unsweetened Almond milk to use for cereal / oatmeal.
  • Jalexander33
    Jalexander33 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have to agree the color of Almond milk makes me want to lose my lunch. I enjoy about a half of a cup of 2% though
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I make up a jug each morning of a mix of full cream milk and unsweetened vanilla almond milk and use that all day in my tea and coffee.

I absolutely can not drink straight up Almond milk, and skim milk is too watery. But if i had to choose, I'd go with skim milk because it tastes better than almond milk and it has more protein, almond milk has hardly any.
  • milehigh73
    milehigh73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like vanilla unsweetened almond milk on my cereal. Its a great choice for low calories (about half that of skim milk) but doesn't have the proteins or the sugars.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I've read that full fat milk helps regulate the lactose sugars.

Two years ago I switched from skim to whole. I now drink organic whole milk. It tastes better. :)
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Drink whatever you like. I switched to unsweented almond milk bc I discovered a lactose sensitivity and it took a second to get used to but I think it's the best milk substitute. 30 calories a cup.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    Options
    Cashew milk is pretty damn tasty.
  • stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I love the 1% lactose free milk. It''s not as watery as skim, and when the lactose is removed, it takes on a sweeter taste even though it has the same amount of sugars as regular milk. A serving is 110 cal's. I'm not even LI. I just prefer the taste. I did try the almond & the almond/coconut blend, but I'm not thrilled with the taste, and plus, I'd rather have the protein that regular milk provides. I'm about to try raw jersey milk for the first time, and I'm pretty curious about it.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    1% milk has more protein and is more filling than almond milk. If you aren't lactose intolerant, then milk has more bang for the buck. It's great to have options!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    This might be of some interest http://time.com/4279538/the-case-against-low-fat-milk-is-stronger-than-ever/

Also, I've found i need half the amount of full cream milk in my cuppas than i do if i use skim milk.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    Options
    Also, I've found i need half the amount of full cream milk in my cuppas than i do if i use skim milk.

Whole milk goes so much further! Have you tried organic? I've been hooked on that the last couple months. I couldn't believe how much better it tasted.
  • jrowden0711
    jrowden0711 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I use both skim milk and almond milk for different things. For my coffee and cooking I use lactose free skim milk, for my protein shakes and anything else I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Whole milk goes so much further! Have you tried organic? I've been hooked on that the last couple months. I couldn't believe how much better it tasted.

Yeah I do sometimes buy organic. The one i get still has the the thick cream on the top, so yum!
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Whichever one you like and fits in your calories best. Weight loss is all about calories in and calories out - not any specific foods.

Yep this. I'm not a fan of milk in general (texture thing), but I can tolerate a bit of skim on my oatmeal sometimes.
  • lauraemily84
    lauraemily84 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a personal choice - I'm lacto intolerant but I have porridge for breakfast and slimfast for lunch so I use either lacto free semi or recently used alpro almond milk - love the taste prefer unsweetened version it's a lot less calories which I like to do I can eat something else
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I don't drink straight almond milk but I use it in some of the recipes I make as a milk substitute and don't notice it.
    If I'm going to sit down and drink a glass of milk I prefer "normal" milk I don't care if it's skim or 2% or whatever else.