When life intercepts your diet/exercise plan

Options
Over the last few months I lost 18 pounds, but back in October 2016 I went to my moms for a few days and I got so off track. I thought okay, I'll just get back to it once I get home. Well needless to say that didn't happen because it's now January and I've gained most of the weight back. My starting weight was 182. I lost 18 pounds. Now I weigh 174. Glad I didn't gain it all back, but still disappointed in myself. Any advice on what to do to stay on track? I did so good until my routine was slightly adjusted by going out of town. I can't not go out of town ever because my family doesn't live close by so....some suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!!

Replies

• Dreamcrusher16
    Dreamcrusher16 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I agree with the make a plan and stick to it, but for me I've found that writing my plan out helps me to stick to it and also to have a few good accountability partners. Writing it out makes it tangible for me, having people that know my plan and help me stick to it also helps.
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Life happens every day for the rest of your life, so you need a life long plan to lose weight, and stay there.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    All sorts of stuff in life can threaten to throw you out over and over because life is like that. Planning is key. So what will you do differently next time? Is your current way of losing sustainable? Lifelong...includes strife strategies. In certain situations I have rules.

I look at what I could have done differently, apply it better next time.

Also, you may be surprised at how much drops off when you return to plan...some gain can simply be fluid retention. I've noticed - not all though, it depends.

Its not perfection that gets you there but persistence. Flick it off. Move on.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I look at it this way, life is full of things I can't control, however what I choose to eat is Totally in my control. I weave physical activity into the fabric of a busy "no time for that" day. If I'm eating out or on the go there are usually choices that'll fit, but I always carry a protein bar in my purse, just in case.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I plan exercise in to my days and do it, unless something drastic happens. If I know i'm going away, i'll do more before and after, or work out how to maintain my workouts whilst being away.

same for food - we choose what we put in our mouths. you need to be good at making smart choices, and learning to say no to things that don't fit your goals.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Going home isn't the problem--you said it was a couple of days. That won't throw you off track, it's your mindset. If you want to be successful, you need to be consistent. When you came home you needed to start right back up. There are people that travel often for their jobs and manage to lose. Look up some of those threads and you'll get some ideas.
  • MrsT1610
    MrsT1610 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Best way to stick to a plan is not to beat yourself up when you fall off it. Think long term vision not short term goal. If you focus too hard on short term goals/ weight losses you're more likely to throw the towel in when you don't meet them.

If you have a weekend off your plan then so what?? The 'damage' will be small and fixed within a matter of days. Just get back on it as soon as you can so a weekend off plan doesn't turn into a week, turns into a month etc....

Where you can, plan for breaks. So, if you go to stay with family for a few days 'allow' yourself that time off and build it to your plan.

Suggest you switch your thinking - life doesn't interupt your diet plan, build your diet plan around your life. You have one life, live it and enjoy it! Have lovely meals with your family in that precious time you have with them.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Make a plan: pre-log meals for a couple of days at a time (I log meals for the week on Sunday evenings). I tend to eat the same few b'fasts and lunches (and rotate). I plan dinners for family of 4 on Sundays, b/c it helps me stay organized during the week.

Pick a workout program that is already planned for you (either from bodybuliding.com or there is a thorough thread on MFP fitness forum); all you have to do is show up and work.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    z4oslo wrote: »
    Life happens every day for the rest of your life, so you need a life long plan to lose weight, and stay there.

This. Part of this process is learning how to lose/maintain no matter what circumstances are happening. Take what happened and use it as a learning tool-what happened that caused you to gain? Did you stop tracking? Did you stop measuring out portion sizes? If you exercise did you stop that and not adjust your calorie intake? In the future would going into maintenance mode during these trips be helpful?

Don't be to discouraged, but figure out what steps you can take in the future to prevent it from happening again and go into these kind of situations with a plan of action :)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    We are creatures of habit and it is easier to stay on track when we are able to repeat the same thing every day (week?). But what to do when our routine is broken? When I know I'm going to be in a different situation I plan for it ahead of time. When I visit my parents (for example) I know that I'll be eating more for breakfast than normal. I have more control over dinner and supper. Unless it is just a quick trip I travel with a bicycle. When you show up with a bicycle in the back of your truck, people aren't too surprised when you put it to use. When traveling other places I make plans concerning my strategy for choosing what to eat before I go. When you are tired and hungry is not the time to be thinking about those things.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I've only ever done it by just saying "Okay, that (event) is over. Back to work!" It helps for me that often things that break my routine break my WHOLE routine, so getting back to the stuff I can't avoid (going to work, getting the kids to school) can be aligned with getting back on the dietary wagon, too.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I think you have to stop being so disappointed in yourself. Life happens and part of making lifestyle changes is being able to adapt and get back on track. I've worked myself to the bone in the office the for 39 of the past 48 hours due to some emergency situations. I'm exhausted and I totally pigged out last night - 3 spring rolls and two bowls of thai red curry and rice. But today is a new day and a new chance to do better. I'll forget about last night and move on.

If going out of town is an issue, you could try keeping your calories lower for the week before you leave, knowing that you may eat more.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    There are two ways to prevent this and get back on track.

Get back on track...just do that.
    To prevent it again remember that this weight loss thing is a short term goal...but the maintenance of it is a lifetime endeavour and in order to succeed at it you are going to have to make a life time commitment to do what you need to do...

I personally give myself permission to go off the rails probably 3x a year...

Christmas time, trip south and one weekend in the summer...guess what I do it but not in big grand fashion as I can't really "eat all that I want" and feel okay.

I also have found the one person I don't want to disappoint...myself.
    z4oslo wrote: »

and then there is this too...life happens...new years, valentines day, st patricks day, easter, mothers day, memorial day, summer, thanksgiving, halloween, birthdays, anniversaries, deaths etc....these all happen and they are all "good excuses" to go off the rails...so figure out how to live your life and keep yourself accountable.