Major calorie difference

Options
I have noticed that when I put in my exercise in MFP that their calorie numbers are significantly higher than what the number on the machine at the gym is showing for the minutes I put in. I always change it to what the gym machine says since it's monitoring my heart rate and taking into account my age and weight. I just wonder if everyone is doing that.

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Yep. The numbers in the MFP database are about twice as much as I actually burn according to my HRM.
    Some people say that they are fairly accurate for them, but that seems to be for younger men, mostly.

For us middle aged ladies, they are way off.
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. If I don't know the exact number calories burned (let's say I am running outside for 30 min), I log 15. JUST to be on the safe side because the burn on MFP does seem to be higher than what my devices/machines say...
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that when I put in my exercise in MFP that their calorie numbers are significantly higher than what the number on the machine at the gym is showing for the minutes I put in. I always change it to what the gym machine says since it's monitoring my heart rate and taking into account my age and weight. I just wonder if everyone is doing that.

the machine at the gym, if you put your information in and hang on to it the whole time, is going to be more accurate than the generic formula provided by the website.

That said, they're still estimates. If you don't have an HRM, the machine numbers are still going to be closer than the app. Worst case? Take the number from the machine, and round down.
  • joolsmitchell
    joolsmitchell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yeah i go by my HRM now. There is sometimes a huge difference, so I would rather be on the safe side..any extra is a bonus :-)
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    For the most part, MFP goes from a calculation. So say one 300lb woman burns 200 cals walking for 20 mins. It uses that calculation for every woman, be she 100lb, or 500lb, so while it's accurate for one, the other two will have slightly skewed results.
    Same goes for almost all exercises on here. They might be okay for someone who weighs the same and puts in as much effort as you, but the likelihood of that happening is small.

The machines are more accurate, but going for the HRM if you have one is always best.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    For the most part, MFP goes from a calculation. So say one 300lb woman burns 200 cals walking for 20 mins. It uses that calculation for every woman, be she 100lb, or 500lb, so while it's accurate for one, the other two will have slightly skewed results.
    Same goes for almost all exercises on here. They might be okay for someone who weighs the same and puts in as much effort as you, but the likelihood of that happening is small.

The machines are more accurate, but going for the HRM if you have one is always best.

I don't think that's true. As I have lost weight, MFP has lowered the number of calories for the same exercise, same time-frame.

OP, when I was tracking cardio, before I started using the TDEE method, I only used the MFP numbers, ate back my exercise calories, and lost weight, even more than I planned.
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I found the same thing, though as your weight goes down the calories in MFP go down as well, but it is still too high.